Freeman's injured ear

Xen is a different universe, with different physical laws of reality. They're just different enough to allow things happen the way they do without simultaneously making it impossible for life to exist, as would happen with even minor changes to ONE law of physics, of which there are many.

Well Xen couldn't really be a different universe as Freeman teleporting there would violate the definition of universe. But Xen doesn't need to make complete sense.

Just a random thought: where does the ichthyosaur live in Xen if there are no oceans :shock: ?

I recall what looks like sewer water being present in Xen. And the laws of physics are the same on Xen, they are just bent. A lot. Like a mobius pretzel.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I dont think we've seen the whole Xen world/universe....

A combine who gets teleported to Black Mesa (= "the middle of the dessert...") wouldn't see any water, too. But this obviously doesnt mean that there is no water on earth ;)

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Fool me once: Shame on you. Fool me twice: EVERYONE DIES!!!

si·lence (noun): The sound people make, when everyone trying to kill you is dead.

well... i haven't finished half life 2 yet, but i do know they use xen as teleport way in our universe

maybe xen its like, i dont know, the frontier between our universe and some other freaky place

Back on topic: Mabe Freeman will bring it up later or even ross might of forgot about it. It was pretty long ago. He may even joke about somehow getting plastic surgery.

Alright, everyone... (Puts on Nerd Glasses) Xen is a border world, not exactly a different universe, but more the fence between two universes... or, even better, the place where they mash together. Like, imagine two big islands of seaweed floating on the surface of the ocean. One is our universe, the other is the one on the other side of Xen, which I assume is where the Combine originate. Now imagine these two floats of seaweed drift into each other, and the edges smush together in a wierd, messy ridge of seaweed. That is Xen: the afterimage of two universes at the point where they collide.

No water on Xen, you say? Nukular is right, there is certainly more to the border world then we've seen... for instance, Antlions live in the desert, ant we didn't see any deserts in Chapters 15-18 of Half-Life.

As for Xen's physics, Xen consists of a cluster of thousands of planetoids of various sizes floating in a nebula. We have never encountered anything like this in real life, so who knows how the fuck it works.

(Takes off glasses)

But, you know, that's all lame and shit.

When he had amnesia, and commented on all the bruises and scars all over him from being shot, bludgeoned, and bitten so many times, I think he would've at least mentioned that he was missing half his ear. In fact that's probably the first thing I'd notice if I was him.

When he had amnesia, and commented on all the bruises and scars all over him from being shot, bludgeoned, and bitten so many times, I think he would've at least mentioned that he was missing half his ear. In fact that's probably the first thing I'd notice if I was him.

Maybe he just didn't feel pain in that region, with all the amnesia and such...

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

I never understood the 'pierced ear' thing. Unless the bullet was incredibly tiny wouldn't it just tear off most of the ear?

I never understood it either. Even if the bullet was incredibly tiny, the pure force would've made sure he was missing at least half his ear. My personal theory is that's what happened and he just doesn't know it, not having a mirror or anything. Now that I think about it, the cover art for Half Life 2 should look a lot different. Half of Freeman's ear should be off, he should have dents all over his suit (and under the dents are bruised flesh), he should have a bruise on his head from being bludgeoned, he should have a face full of scars fro being bitten so many times, etc.

I think that the healing pool will take care of it, provided that Freeman figures out what it does, as opposed to, y'know, not rubbing himself with an unidentified liquid he found on an alien world where the laws of physics that he's an expert on don't apply any longer.

But if he does do that, I think he'll get high.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

xen must be pretty close to earth, teleporters work at light speed so it must be closer than the sun... unless you use quantum particle entanglement wich should work instantly, if you do though you can say goodbye to limbs and organs and hello 60ft in the air and teleported over an ocean

xen must be pretty close to earth, teleporters work at light speed so it must be closer than the sun... unless you use quantum particle entanglement wich should work instantly, if you do though you can say goodbye to limbs and organs and hello 60ft in the air and teleported over an ocean

Bluh?

Xen isn't even in our universe.

It's a border world sorta between dimensions.

Basically, it's outside of space as we know it...

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

teleporters work at light speed

huh?

mine works at "superspeed 5", which is about 3,5x lightspeed. Maybe you got a very outdated teleporter if it only works at lightspeed?

Seriously, since teleporters like in half life don't exist yet you cant really say how they work.

And as Descriptor explained, Xen is a borderworld betweet the dimensions/universes. Maybe it isn't far away but right here, just in a different (border) dimension.

si·lence (noun): The sound people make, when everyone trying to kill you is dead.

There's only one thing I can't understand in that mess (well, let's just say that this is the thing I understand the less). Why is Xen so different as it's showed in Opposing Force ? Sometime, it looks just like HL's xen, but other times.... well, it's really scary. The "sky" looks blue/purple, and there are thing that looks like giant parasites.

These are like giant parasites in the middle of the space, and it's pretty damn scary. I actually don't have any screenshot for you but, I'm sure at least half of you guys know what I'm talking about.

It's been a while since I played HL or HL:OpFor so I don't know exactly what you mean.

But I'd say Xen is similar to our world: we have very different areas, too (dessert <--> rainforest). So it could be the same on/in/at/wtf Xen ;)

teleporters work at light speed

huh?

mine works at "superspeed 5", which is about 3,5x lightspeed. Maybe you got a very outdated teleporter if it only works at lightspeed?

Seriously, since teleporters like in half life don't exist yet you cant really say how they work.

And as Descriptor explained, Xen is a borderworld betweet the dimensions/universes. Maybe it isn't far away but right here, just in a different (border) dimension.

Well, In the event that teleporters existed they would work more or less like this:

krasnikov_agujero_gusano.jpg

Pic taken from http://www.lapizarradeyuri.com/2011/05/26/la-casi-maquina-del-tiempo-del-dr-krasnikov-con-entrevista-al-dr-krasnikov/

(its in spanish but the pic speaks for itself)

To explain it easily would be like if you "fold" the spacetime (like if it was a cloth) and you pierce a hole to the other side of the spacetime, the region where there is no "cloth" would be xen in the hl world and to put an easy example the other side of the cloth woud be the other dimension, knowing that the hole (wormhole, if you look for the theory) could go anywhere, anytime and probably to other dimensions, this would mean that for the traveller the speed of light will never be reached, but for an external observer the speed will be faster than light since the traveller is moving from A to B within the time it takes to get across the tunnel and not the time it would take across the spacetime

Well, since we're on the subject of teleporters in HL, I'd like to mention something about the Combine Teleport in the second. Kleiner states: "It appears that the Combine have developed a very slow teleport!" Basically, when you use the Combine teleport to get to Kleiners lab, it takes you two weeks to get there. Both teleports are in City 17. If that didn't make much sense, I'm sorry. I'm tired.

Yay for Science? :?

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters! The silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3