Music General

@Jeb, oh that was my pleasure, dear! To work on your new music, even though my contribution was really minimal...

But I like that new song so much! Thank you.

But - I should have thought about it... to lower the velocity of all instruments a little bit, maybe to 80% from 100% full loudness. I think it's that what is causing the distortions when rendering. Any sound equipment never works well at 100% (or 0dB) loudness, so it should better be avoided...

Regards

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but a problem I have with all my music is that it's so quiet compared to other official songs and tracks that other people make. X3 So I'd rather take my time to manually remove the distortions rather than have my song slightly quieter or quieter in random parts of it. I need all the volume and velocity I can get with these midi songs, honestly. XD

But no, no, no need to thank me. :D I need to thank YOU for helping me with it. :) Even if it was just a little.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Oh, I think you're talking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Well, being somewhat of an audiophile, I really prefer to stand up against this whenever I can... And if the punters need to move their lazy arses to turn the volume knob up - I'm fine with that :D

Alright, that aside, I suggest to do it slightly differently... reduce the volume in the MIDI file, because the subsequent rendering is where the clipping and problems occur. Set the output to 44.1kHz stereo LPCM WAV (no quality loss), then take the .WAV file and increase its volume with something like Audacity (or give it to me - I'll do it).

This way you avoid the MIDI conversion problems but can still have a loud end result! :-)

Regards

P.S. But... really, people just don't understand audio quality anymore... A combination of rubbish music with rubbish internet streaming quality with rubbish headphones = rubbish tastes, that make good music, like yours, so much more difficult to sell :-(

That is really quite cool... Though it is just a tad high on the low mids for my taste. (IMO, drop the 65Hz-250Hz range by 4db, and the 250Hz-550Hz by 2db)

I took your tip and applied it to a new mix.

Sounds much nicer, it's not overpowering the other sounds anymore. :)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

@Vappydearest: Uhm... I can do the Audacity part! XD But I don't have the stuff I need to make a wav file, I don't think. I could just use Audacity actually, but then I gotta figure out how to set those weird as outputs and whatever else. So I dunno...

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Sorry, I forgot which program do you use to render MIDI to MP3?

It just MUST be able to save as a .WAV because it's the simplest, lossless format possible - just a direct series of samples with a RIFF header... Just look in the output settings there, my dear...

Regards

I do it the most inconvenient way possible but it's the only good method I have available. I record the audio played from Jazz, and the only video editing program I have is Movie Maker. XP Which isn't THAT bad. Cause, all I need it for is to extract the audio into a single file. Bad thing is it only saves in wma and uh, something else, I forgot. Will figure that out later. But yeah, I can't turn it into a WAV file. I COULD record in Audacity and turn it into a WAV file from there though. I just haven't been able to because Audacity was complaining. I'm hoping the codec reinstall thing fixed it though.

-------

That is really quite cool... Though it is just a tad high on the low mids for my taste. (IMO, drop the 65Hz-250Hz range by 4db, and the 250Hz-550Hz by 2db)

I took your tip and applied it to a new mix.

Sounds much nicer, it's not overpowering the other sounds anymore. :)

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

This one goes for Vappy: please tell me what I just heard about Keith Emerson today isn't true.

Welp, now what?

This one goes for Vappy: please tell me what I just heard about Keith Emerson today isn't true.

Yup, he's dead.

It's useless to feel down about all these guys dying, it's their time to go, they aren't immortal.

Oh, freaking hell, we are losing all the good ones, aren't we! :(

Dg9jHTYZ-6U

@AP_Pastor - it seems to be true... RIP Keith - the "E" in ELP...

Regards

P.S. ...and now it's on the BBC, so the chances are it is really true...

Aw. X3 Another person I don't know about. RIP Keith, and RIP my knowledge.

OT: I feel like a scumbag for swapping topic, but that's alright, X3 I'll be the scumbag for the day.

The song that managed to corrupt itself at one point. :D

Hope you like this one, Vladdy. X3 I added a whole new section to it, as you will hear. :3

And, @Binky: I still have some shit of mine to get completed, finished and uploaded. XP The challenge chords thingy is still a thing. I just need to find a day to reorganize myself.

-------

Behold! The best rap song ever (yes, even better than the wrap rap(

NE2myLCpNnY

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Hehe, Jeb, you're talking about music in a music thread - how can that be swapping topic? :D

But - ah, yes! I love it! You do it so well... it's so playful, yet sad, yet joyous... And she sees something wonderful and bright and beautiful, even though there may be a tear rolling down her cheek as she smiles...

Yes, I love the name too... *closes eyes, listens to Her Wildview - lost in his thoughts, a smile plays on his lips...*

And, at last, I can give you something back! Something I am actually quite pleased by :D

I know - it takes me so long... but it's mostly through the lack of time... Once I get a window to work on it - it comes together in a couple weeks usually...

So, here's Waltzing :-)

I hope you enjoy!

Here is the MIDI version...

Thank for the inspiration, my dear.

Regards

Waltzing_f modf.zip

No idea why I haven't replied to this yet... >.> Sorry!! D:

But geez, thank you very much for this. :D One of my favourites. I love it so so much!

0:47 - 1:04 is probably my favourite part. <3 :P Thank you!! ^_^

-------

Ah! So happy that you liked it! :D

I love working with your music, my dear... And your approval and pleasure is what really inspires me to do it...

Thank you.

Regards

Awww... And I love it when you work on my music. :P You know, you taking my music and turning it into something even better... That inspires me. :D So we have a cycle of inspiration. :P How lovely! But thank you so much, hunny. And, you're welcome. :)

-------

Bringing this thread back because decent thread is decent.

The Pastures took part in a Battle Of The Bands on Wednesday. Even though I knocked out the power to my pedals, causing me to cut out for about 20 seconds while I frantically tried to find out what happened, and waving my bass about so that my strap came off, and generally playing like arse - we won the first round!

We're potentially appearing on local TV in the near future - if our drummer can get time off work.

We've also been offered a festival slot later in the year, requiring a 90-minute set. Gonna need to get a whole lotta songs written!

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Am I like the only one who prefers video game music over "normal" music, especially modern music?

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Far from it, although I am not of the same preference.

The great thing about videogame music is its necessity to enhance the player experience. Much like TV and Movie soundtracks, they set the tone for the current scenario, so they need to resonate with the player.

The best videogame music stays in your head long after you've played it. Prime example for me is Ratchet & Clank, along with Timesplitters and Starcraft. Graham Norgate and Kelly Bailey's electronic tracks for Timesplitters and Half-Life, and Jeremy Soule's orchestral pieces for countless games including Total Annihilation, Harry Potter, The Elder Scrolls..

I'd *love* to make a videogame soundtrack.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Don't forget the Hell March songs from the Command & Conquer Red Alert series... Some good game music there as well.