Friendly vortigaunts.

Ross: There are a number of vortigaunts towards the end of the game that are non-hostile if you don't injure any of them. Are you aware of this, and is there a plan regarding them? It might be a humanizing moment for Freeman to stop and take note of this, maybe realize they're slaves and everything they did was against their will.

On a similar note, is Freeman going to find the All-Knowing Vortigaunt in the second game? Lots of exposition there for Freeman to take in and react to.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

You already know the answer to that: He'll just run around shooting them.

He who fights drummers

You already know the answer to that: He'll just run around shooting them.

The thing is, though, these ones aren't hostile. The only time in the game they aren't deployed in a military action and there aren't any controllers present, they're not hostile. That's not really something to just gloss over.

He'll figure it out once that part comes up. Don't worry about it.

I seriously doubt Ross has some master plan when it comes to the FM series. He just takes it episode-by-episode.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

He'll figure it out once that part comes up. Don't worry about it.

I seriously doubt Ross has some master plan when it comes to the FM series. He just takes it episode-by-episode.

I brought it up because there's a good chance he didn't know there even were friendly vortigaunts. Most players don't, and he's said himself he hasn't played the later sections of Half-Life in years.

I think in an early design of Half-Life, partway through the Vorts were supposed to turn to your side and fight along you. It didn't get to the final game though I forgot why.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

Actually, if I remember, houbdeyes were supposed to be friendly, but QA killed them too much so they cut that idea. Never heard a thing about vorts, I just know there are passive ones.

There was also a fast-walker thing that apparently liked the player for providing it fresh food. It often ran ahead and warned you of any enemies. I don't think this got past the concept art stage though.

Yeah, we're off-topic. But I personally think an entire factory of vortigaunts that are totally passive if not attacked would have been better for the story than just the one room we got in the final.

Aha, I managed to dig it up out of Raising the Bar:

Early story designs for the Alien Slave had Gordon Freeman winning them over as allies in the Xen sections of Half-Life, and leading them into outright rebellion. This plan proved impractical, but the idea of befriending the creatures bore fruit in Half-Life 2.

I think what he should do is go up to them and be like "HEY! I"M HERE! ZAP ME!" or something and then be like "I'm getting bored of this" and shoot them.

I'm imagining the first vortigaunt in that shipping container with the guy in Route Kanal. "There'd better not be anyone in here to jump me! I'll kill 'em all!" *drops* "Oh, it's just a civilian and-- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!" *begins shooting the vortigaunt over and over again, completely ignoring the man* "WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING?! AM I IN THE FUCKIN' MATRIX OR SOMETHING? HOW IS THIS NOT HURTING THE ALIEN?! No, no, no! Don't shoot me!" Suit powers up a bit. "....what? What's going on?"

Only except that would expose the game's friendly fire problem a little too much. :)

I brought it up because there's a good chance he didn't know there even were friendly vortigaunts. Most players don't, and he's said himself he hasn't played the later sections of Half-Life in years.

Yeah, I'd agree with that and I'm kinda glad you brought it up. There's just always that chance and, as I recall, Ross was not aware the

female black-op assassins actually had a stealth-camouflage feature on Hard difficulty, which allows them to turn partially transparent

when they're fighting, and it can even stay in a particular translucent state when they're dead. Sort of ironic when Freeman says:

"They're probably already gone, disappeared into smoke... Oh, nope."

I had no idea there's such a thing.

And you're name is GordonFreeman! Honesty, I expected better! :P

Yeah I remember the friendly vorts in the factory. Honestly though, they are more passive than friendly and I always thought there were just two kinds of vorts. The soldier ones and the working force. The working force are simply too busy to care about Gordon.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I think Vorts are all the same and have some kind of telepathic hive consciousness.

tumblr_mch8h21Eo01qcb7k0o1_500.gif

"We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous. There is no distance between us. No false veils of time or space may intervene."

Regards

Ross: There are a number of vortigaunts towards the end of the game that are non-hostile if you don't injure any of them. Are you aware of this, and is there a plan regarding them? It might be a humanizing moment for Freeman to stop and take note of this, maybe realize they're slaves and everything they did was against their will.

On a similar note, is Freeman going to find the All-Knowing Vortigaunt in the second game? Lots of exposition there for Freeman to take in and react to.

Well, he took notice when the mimes didn't attack him in the Carnevil Game Dungeon video, so who knows? Hopefully he saw this post and is keeping it in mind for later episodes when this comes up :)

"Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future." -- Oscar Wilde

Well, we won't really know until either we reach that episode or we get a statement from Ross. Until then, we're all just speculating.