Worst video game of all time?

Sign in to follow this  

As it says in the title, what's the worst video game, in your opinion, to have ever been created, and in what way (like worst game for a certain genre)?

For me, the worst game is a hard hard pick, but ET Atari definitely deserves a mention for being an active cause of the Video Game Crash of '83. In terms of sheer awfulness, Earth: Year 2066 takes the cake of ape feces and roadkill by miles. I wouldn't even recommend watching a video of it or reading a description, because chances are you'll lose any faith in humanity you might have had (especially considering it was being sold for $20 on Steam).

If you need help finding a horrible game, here you go:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Horrible/VideoGameGenerations

What game do you think deserves the title of worst?

As a Sonic fan... SONIC '06. It fucking HURT me, PHYSICALLY, just to have to know it exists. I would rather be waterboarded on a bed of nails while my genitals are gnawed off by wolves than play that fucking game, and it did so much damage to the franchise that even though the series went back to being good just two games later, it's impossible to take Sonic seriously anymore, even if you're a fan. I simply can't think of a single other game that did so much damage to a beloved franchise.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

(I'm only going to list games I have actually played here, since I feel I can't really judge others just by seeing someone else play them.)

Some of the games I'd put in this category are:

-Lost World: Jurrassic Park on PS1 (It's been a while since I've played it, but I remember terrible jumping puzzles and confusing levels (although you could eat your enemies as a dinosaur, which is really cool)

-Burnout: Paradise (The game shows you a bunch of cool cars and then says "Nice cars, eh? You wanna give em a try? *game slaps your face* WELL THEN BUY THE DLC!". The biggest insult is that the "Ultimate Box" contains only one, ONE single free DLC. And that is a few bikes. In a Burnout game.)

-The Payday games (Okay, don't kill me, please, its just that... put that knife down. Its just that shooting cops for half an hour with guns that really don't feel satisfying and then constantly being reminded to buy more DLC isn't fun. I've tried to have fun here, I really did! But I just can't and I don't see how others can)

The winner would have to be "Homefront" though.

Unlikeable, undeveloped douchebag characters, Regenerating health, "2 guns only"-rule, nonexistant storyline, EXTREMELY RESTRICTIVE, every single cliché you can think of, extremely pretentious, 'Murica propaganda, EXTREMELY RESTRICTIVE, boring, annoying characters with really badly written dialogue always telling you what to do, you are always with these characters too (there is only one part in the entire game where you're on your own and it consists of fighting through a church),...

I can write an entire essay on what's wrong with this game.

P.S.: Oh by the way, the game takes 3-4 hours to beat and ends just when things would have gotten interesting.

I don't remember what it was called but somewhere in my room is a PS1 fighting game I got from a friend. I offered to pay even a dollar for it and he said "honestly I should be paying you a dollar for willing to give this shit a try"

It was a fighting game involving DnD characters but that's about where anything possibly cool about this game ends. There was only 4 possible moves you could use (and believe me I tried as many buttons combinations as I could) and while the game had about 14 characters all of them used those exact same moves. Nothing unique about them.

Retired Forum Moderator

I can only speak for games and demos I have actually played, but:

Robot Wars: Arenas Of Destruction.

I bought this for £1.50 in CEX, as a massive fan of the TV show, and remember seeing it advertised in magazines, and thinking "Hell yeah that sounds awesome", back in the day.

To paraphrase Yahtzee, "Great idea; boring, glitchy, horribly designed game." Impossible to control, physics are fucked, camera angles suck, and probably reduces the life expectancy of the console. Christ, what was I thinking? Definitely one for the 'How not to make video games' educational collection.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

As a Sonic fan... SONIC '06. It fucking HURT me, PHYSICALLY, just to have to know it exists. I would rather be waterboarded on a bed of nails while my genitals are gnawed off by wolves than play that fucking game, and it did so much damage to the franchise that even though the series went back to being good just two games later, it's impossible to take Sonic seriously anymore, even if you're a fan. I simply can't think of a single other game that did so much damage to a beloved franchise.

YMMV on the "beloved" part, but Bubsy 3D killed the Bubsy franchise permanently.

This isn't THE WORST game in general (though its sequel succeeded at that) but Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude is just shite for me. Boring, repetitive, humour's pretty much bland and immature, and the story is barely there imo.

Welp, now what?

Pest, the difference is that killing Bubsy was a public service, but Sonic is a GOOD series. Well, mostly. There was a five year period from 2003 to 2008 we don't talk about, but other than that it's a good series.

I don't understand how we can go from Sonic Heroes, to Sonic '06, to Unleashed, to Black Knight, to Generations, to Lost World. The series is a long, unfortunate rollercoaster ride, honestly.

the name's riley

Alright, I just have to say... I didn't think Heroes or Unleashed were bad. I mean, they weren't really all that good either, but they weren't bad. Sonic Adventure (1&2) were really good, Colors and Generations were great, and really I wish I owned a console just so I could actually play them. But... I can't forgive Shadow, and '06 was a crime against humanity.

Except its soundtrack, the soundtrack was still pretty good, come to think of it. I guess that means it can't be the *worst* game of all time, in that it has the soundtrack and Shadow kicking Silver in the head as its two positives. Some games can't even manage one. *COUGH*RIDETOHELL*COUGH*

Ah, Ride to Hell. The game that was guaranteed a spot in game hell. While i'm a tad unfamiliar about Sonic the Hedgehog. I've heard a lot of shit about the new one, Rise of Lyric. Any thoughts about it? i'm curious about it.

Welp, now what?

To be honest, I've got enough Sonic games on my wishlist that I didn't really look into the new one. The new art style kinda turned me off, and I still haven't finished Colors or Generations, so it wasn't very appealing.

Mafia. That game is the bane of my existence. To this day I don't know how people can enjoy it.

The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars. -- Carl Sagan

Alright, I just have to say... I didn't think Heroes or Unleashed were bad. I mean, they weren't really all that good either, but they weren't bad. Sonic Adventure (1&2) were really good, Colors and Generations were great, and really I wish I owned a console just so I could actually play them. But... I can't forgive Shadow, and '06 was a crime against humanity.

Except its soundtrack, the soundtrack was still pretty good, come to think of it. I guess that means it can't be the *worst* game of all time, in that it has the soundtrack and Shadow kicking Silver in the head as its two positives. Some games can't even manage one. *COUGH*RIDETOHELL*COUGH*

Generations is actually on Steam if you wanna play it on PC...

Only reason I haven't listed Sonic '06 or Sonic Boom: Rise of the Lyric is because I haven't played them but what I've seen of them just baffles me how Sega can release something like that...

Sonic Unleashed was atrocious but it had some decent qualities. The main reason I disliked it was the annoying voice acting and the fact the gameplay didn't feel like a Sonic game at all (it suddenly turned into a brawler...)

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Regarding Sonic Boom my technical perfectionist still simultaneously laughs and cries about what Barry from Game Grumps discovered about how they did the cutscenes at the start of the game. So much bad practice and corner cutting going on there...

7uKIwgdynkA

Retired Forum Moderator

Actually, I'd have to say the worst games ever are solitaire games with a 'social' component. Or any single player game that is forced to have an always-on internet connection for the game to function.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

-Burnout: Paradise (The game shows you a bunch of cool cars and then says "Nice cars, eh? You wanna give em a try? *game slaps your face* WELL THEN BUY THE DLC!". The biggest insult is that the "Ultimate Box" contains only one, ONE single free DLC. And that is a few bikes. In a Burnout game.)

I remember Burnout Paradise. It was fun, but when you want some more cars, yet you have to buy the DLC really pissed me off. So much for "Ultimate Box".

Welp, now what?