Physical or digital?

Physical or Digital?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Physical or Digital?

• Physical
    • Digital

Sign in to follow this  

Physical copies all the way. I only buy digital downloads when they are the only (economic) option for me. For example I found myself forced to buy the Serious Sam HD remakes over Steam since the physical release was a major screwup overall.

I'd prefer digital, but since it's usually more expensive to keep them all in one place and share digital copies with others, Physical copies mainly comprise my game collection. Except for my 80.3GB of illegal GBA ROMS.

I do like having my boxed copies...

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Too bad they don't make them anymore. But I guess the current boxes are more space efficient, the old boxes had a lot of unused space in them.

Piracy doesn't count.

Piracy counts...

I prefer getting games through Steam, since I've had way too many issues with HDD crashes, and broken CDs/DVDs in the past... Hard copies only if they're way less expensive.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

What do HDD crashes have to do with physical copies? If anything it is much quicker to install a large game from DVDs than redownloading the whole thing.

It depends on which one was the least stupid copy protection thing (like the install limit one) but usually I go for physical copies.

Too bad they don't make them anymore. But I guess the current boxes are more space efficient, the old boxes had a lot of unused space in them.

I believe more expensive pieces of software, the professional kind, still use large boxes. Not for cheaper things though, I guess it's just not cost-effective.

I prefer getting games through Steam, since I've had way too many issues with HDD crashes, and broken CDs/DVDs in the past... Hard copies only if they're way less expensive.

How does a hard drive dying affect a boxed copy of a game? Unless you're referring to installation limits of course...

I think what BTG is trying to say is that while physical copies might get damaged beyond repair, Steam will always allow him to redownload his games on a new comp or HD in case the old one crashes.

Ah true, that's a good point. Although I do get boxed copies of Steam games. It's nice to have them on my shelf.

I personally enjoy the convenience of digital copies.

I think what BTG is trying to say is that while physical copies might get damaged beyond repair, Steam will always allow him to redownload his games on a new comp or HD in case the old one crashes.

I have never had any of my games broken beyond repair. My old copy of Quake 2 is scratched to hell and back but still installs without hiccups. If you take good care of your games the natural data degradation will be the end of them, and that process takes decades, even then you can make iso backups of the games (At least the ones not crippled by illegal malw- errr... I mean DRM.) or make a new CD/DVD copy.

I have never had any of my games broken beyond repair. My old copy of Quake 2 is scratched to hell and back but still installs without hiccups. If you take good care of your games the natural data degradation will be the end of them, and that process takes decades, even then you can make iso backups of the games (At least the ones not crippled by illegal malw- errr... I mean DRM.) or make a new CD/DVD copy.

And if you store the CD's in their cases, they should last a good while.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

a lot of physical copies on CD/DVD [i have a pretty huge box with them]

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"