Mass Effect: Thread

Hey I came back or something.

Anyway, end of game spoilers:

Took me two solid days of mulling the endings over in my head before I knew just exactly what the hell to think about them, but now I have some idea. I liked them. Now I'll try to explain why, or rather, why the things that bothered the majority of dissapointed fans didn't bother me, in some cases why they shouldn't bother anyone.

A lot of people seem to feel the game lacked closure. Shepard is separated from his friends and comrades, and though we see the effects of his final choice on a galactic scale, we only see the survival of a select few characters and no one else. But when you think about it, aside from choosing the destruction option when your military strength is low, which kills everyone, you know everyone who you last saw alive on Earth and everywhere else lived, and you already know what's next for each of them. You basically get to adress each member of the cast one last time before making that final push to the Citadel beam, and most of them talk about their plans should they survive, and to me at least, it felt like Shepard was saying goodbye, so I guess I already went into it assuming he wouldn't be coming back.

We also already know what's next for each race of the galaxy. We know whether or not you actually cured the genophage, and whether or not the Krogan will have a leader who will uphold ideals of peace. We know that between the Geth and Quarians, one claims Rannoch and one is extinct, or they are living together in peace. We know that the turians, asari, and Batarians have to rebuild after losing as much, or possibly more than humans have lost, and we know whether or not they have the resolve to do so in each of our playthroughs.

We know that the galactic races have a tough road ahead without the Mass Relays and the Citadel, but we also know that the ones who showed up to help take back Earth are more unified now than ever, and most know how to acheive faster than light travel, and that Protheans knew how to build Mass Relays. They could have done an epilogue to remind us of all of that, but it would have been redundant.

Even the best ending is still bittersweet, and most of the galaxy still gets messed up, but honestly, how else could an all out war with the Reapers have ended? A race of unfathomable techno-organic monsters that have harvested entire advanced civilizations hundreds of billions of times over without missing a beat, who the races of this cycle waited until the last minute to prepare for, obviously survival would require tremendous sacrifices on a personal level and galactic scale. A happy ending would have made no sense with this in mind.

As for the whole "killed by synthetics to not be killed by synthetics" thing, even that makes sense to me now to. It's a story as old as science fantasy itself, man gets too technologically advanced and in his own hubris destroys himself with it. The Reapers are a sort of organized chaos in that sense. Organic life inevitably tries to go beyond its own limits and creates something it can't control. The Reapers theoretically remove and preserve these civilizations before they can obliterate themselves and other organics completely. They believe this is the only way to ensure the continued existence of organic life in the galaxy.

Shepard, coming face to face with the Catalyst, represented a stage of evolution on a galactic scale that had been trillions of years in the making: a galaxy strong enough to resist the Reapers. Not only that, but a synthetic race among them that empathized with and respected the right of all living things to exist. The Catalyst's solution would no longer work, and was no longer necesarry, hence why it left Shepard to decide how to procceed.

Completly forgetting the part where most of civilized space including the earth and armies above it was annihilated when the relays/citadel-crucible thing exploded, those armies now have no way of getting home within hundreds of years without mass relays and no chance in hell of building a new realy considering how long and hard the Protheans worked on it (not to mention it would be pointless without a relay to send them to anyway), or that the quarians and turians would die of starvation, or that the catalyst child makes no fucking sense, that his very existence invalidates the entire plot of the first game, the weird as shit ending where every living thing becomes a robot (FUCKING ROBOT TREES) and all sythetics become organic whatever that means, and how thier new unity would quickly collapse when their common foe is now gone and they're all stranded above the ruins of the human homeworld cut off from any resources, and how some people who were with you on earth will randomly walk out of the Normady in the ending anyway, oh and the stinger scene which came from goddamn deviant art. Ignoring all of that, the endings were peachy.

Was it too much to ask to blow the Reapers to hell and walk into the sunset with Jack?

I mean really, HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP THAT BADLY?/endrant

see theme song:

qits3nn73ks

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Ohh end of game spoilers...how badly I want to read you. It's like the whole world is trying to keep me from playing this game. I legitamitely pay for it, stolen until further notice. I try to rent it, out of stock. I try to borrow another copy from my friend and he tells me to fuck off.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I implore you to play it, love it, and forget about the last 5-10 minutes of it. It honestly boils down to four or so words killing the whole thing.

For anyone who doesn't want to play the game, this is a video outlining just what the real problem is:

pev_LxXx1hg

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

end game spoilers:

Completly forgetting the part where most of civilized space including the earth and armies above it was annihilated when the relays/citadel-crucible thing exploded,

That only happens with the worst possible ending. You clearly see soldiers getting blasted by the controling pulse, the synthesizing pulse, and even the destruction pulse if you're at 100% readiness survive unscathed. They survive, in most cases solid inorganic material is not effected, even electrical and synthetic equipment, like EDI, survives. Why did the Normandy crash? I dunno, but that makes it an anomaly, not proof that the same happened to all similar objects that we actively saw survive the pulses unscathed.

those armies now have no way of getting home within hundreds of years without mass relays and no chance in hell of building a new realy considering how long and hard the Protheans worked on it (not to mention it would be pointless without a relay to send them to anyway), or that the quarians and turians would die of starvation,

Mass relays are merely a way to achieve faster than light travel without using fuel to do so. Most races studied the Mass Relays and Element Zero and learned how to achieve faster than light travel with their own ships. Most ships are capable of FTL on their own at this point, and have been since the first game. There's nothing to suggest members of each species had no way of getting home in endings where only Reapers and Relays are affected by the Crucible, especially considering the sheer number of fleets that would have survived the fight in the better endings. Furthermore, the Protheans who build the Conduit did so in the early stages of Reaper invasion, before going into stasis. I didn't take them nearly as long as you seem to think.

Furthermore, even if what you suggested were true (which it isn't), that wouldn't make it a bad ending, it would make it a tragic ending. The two are not synonymous.

or that the catalyst child makes no fucking sense, that his very existence invalidates the entire plot of the first game,

How? He doesn't actively contradict anything, and he only appears as the dead child because that was an image that was outstanding in Shepard's mind at the time. Legion did the same thing introducing Shepard's mind to Concensus several missions earlier.

the weird as shit ending where every living thing becomes a robot (FUCKING ROBOT TREES) and all sythetics become organic whatever that means

The final evolutionary stage. The Catalyst itself tells Shepard this. I mean the Reapers are basically just a less polished version of this form of life, and Shepard is partly synthetic as well. Evolution, perseverance, and sacrifice have been themes in this game since the first one. The synthesis ending shows Shepard as an example to all of them at once. The relvation that the Crucible was not a Prothean engineered weapon hinted at this long before it was told to us by the Catalyst. The fact that the Protheans were able to alter the Keeprs to ignore all Reaper signals hinted at this. Galatic evolution has been observable in the background even as early as your conversation with Vigil on Ilos.

and how thier new unity would quickly collapse when their common foe is now gone and they're all stranded above the ruins of the human homeworld cut off from any resources

Like I said, there's nothing to suggest that anyone who survived is stranded.

and how some people who were with you on earth will randomly walk out of the Normady in the ending anyway

The Normandy was at Earth as well. Occam's razor would suggest Joker simply picked them up from a dangerous warzone. Keeping this in mind he'd logically also try to outfly an explosion who's origins he has no idea of. They don't come out and say these things, but it's very possible, and much more likely than simply saying "It can't happen", because as I just pointed out, it very much can.

oh and the stinger scene which came from goddamn deviant art.

Yeah, that was about the only thing that didn't need to be there.

Ohh end of game spoilers...how badly I want to read you. It's like the whole world is trying to keep me from playing this game.

I know you didn't ask for my advice, but I'll give it anyway, since people seem to assume that everyone is going to hate the ending anyway. Avoid the spoilers, and ignore people's opinions on the ending, good or bad. Go in with your own perception, and arrive at your own conclusion.

That only happens with the worst possible ending. You clearly see soldiers getting blasted by the controling pulse, the synthesizing pulse, and even the destruction pulse if you're at 100% readiness survive unscathed. They survive, in most cases solid inorganic material is not effected, even electrical and synthetic equipment, like EDI, survives. Why did the Normandy crash? I dunno, but that makes it an anomaly, not proof that the same happened to all similar objects that we actively saw survive the pulses unscathed.

You do see the pulse "washing over them" but Arrival says hi and I'm way more prone to sticking to established cannon than this gainax ending's rules.

Mass relays are merely a way to achieve faster than light travel without using fuel to do so. Most races studied the Mass Relays and Element Zero and learned how to achieve faster than light travel with their own ships. Most ships are capable of FTL on their own at this point, and have been since the first game. There's nothing to suggest members of each species had no way of getting home in endings where only Reapers and Relays are affected by the Crucible, especially considering the sheer number of fleets that would have survived the fight in the better endings. Furthermore, the Protheans who build the Conduit did so in the early stages of Reaper invasion, before going into stasis. I didn't take them nearly as long as you seem to think.

Furthermore, even if what you suggested were true (which it isn't), that wouldn't make it a bad ending, it would make it a tragic ending. The two are not synonymous.

Yes thay all have "FTL" to travel at a faster rate of speed than conventionally, but the massive size of the galaxy is prohibitive of even this as rapid transit, hell even the in-game codex says this. It would take decades at the least to travel any significant distance without a mass relay

How? He doesn't actively contradict anything, and he only appears as the dead child because that was an image that was outstanding in Shepard's mind at the time. Legion did the same thing introducing Shepard's mind to Concensus several missions earlier.

It ruins ME1 plot because the entire point of that game was that Sovereign had been left behind by the Reapers to monitor galactic society until they had sufficiently advanced to the point where the harvesting should begin, but when Sovereign tried to send the signal, nothing happened. This is explained as the keepers evolving to respond not to any Reaper signal, but only from the Citadel itself. This is made totally irrelevant when you consider that, if the Reaper master AI WAS the citadel, why did it need Sovereign there at all to send a signal? Why even need the keepers? Why not just activate the citadel relay itself? Why need "a vanguard" to monitor society if you are the center of their government and have access to every noteworthy bit of info about them directly?

Also, during my playthrough I raised an eyebrow on the Mars mission early on when they introduce the idea of the Crucible. If it was so vital an the last hope of the Prothean resistance, why didn't Vigil even mention it instead of talking about the Conduit? Wouldn't the Prothean's top secret science base planet know about their extremely important anti-Reaper superweapon? I was able to overlook it then, but in hindsight, even hiding the plans for the thing in a Prothean database makes no sense when you remember Vigil and Ilos.

The final evolutionary stage. The Catalyst itself tells Shepard this. I mean the Reapers are basically just a less polished version of this form of life, and Shepard is partly synthetic as well. Evolution, perseverance, and sacrifice have been themes in this game since the first one. The synthesis ending shows Shepard as an example to all of them at once. The relvation that the Crucible was not a Prothean engineered weapon hinted at this long before it was told to us by the Catalyst. The fact that the Protheans were able to alter the Keeprs to ignore all Reaper signals hinted at this. Galatic evolution has been observable in the background even as early as your conversation with Vigil on Ilos.

Rewriting DNA through a space-magic laser field has no place in so well grounded and scientific a series, and I refuse to call Joker, who still has his limp despite his new "evolved" form, with circuitry lines the highest form of evolution; what exactly happens to EDI and the geth when they're made "organic"? They seemed just fine a minute ago "keeping their own form" as Shepard put it. And the little brat seemed to totally ignore that the geth and quarians were living in peace on the homeworld, and that the geth only attacked the quarians in self-defense and stopped immediately when the threat of genocide was over. They were peaceful without Reaper manipulation.

Like I said, there's nothing to suggest that anyone who survived is stranded.

Like I said, without mass relays, the Mass Effect galaxy practically becomes either Refugee Camp Earth

or Star Trek Voyager: The Civilization

The quarians and turians are doomed, they can't both survive on the quarian liveships food supply and it likely that the turian military wouldn't have enough women at that battle to sustain a population. I guarantee the minute the war is over and they all realize they can't leave that the krogan would smash the first salarian they saw.

The Normandy was at Earth as well. Occam's razor would suggest Joker simply picked them up from a dangerous warzone. Keeping this in mind he'd logically also try to outfly an explosion who's origins he has no idea of. They don't come out and say these things, but it's very possible, and much more likely than simply saying "It can't happen", because as I just pointed out, it very much can.

I fail to see how Garrus and Liara who were with me minutes ago and were probably vaporized by Harbinger's beam somehow managed to get the Normandy to magically repair Steve's shuttle, pull the ship from the fleet where it was battling overhead, and get aboard and fly away all whilst I was limping and without me noticing.

You do see the pulse "washing over them" but Arrival says hi and I'm way more prone to sticking to established cannon than this gainax ending's rules.

The ending is as cannon as any other part of the game. Contradictions of a fictional work to earlier instalments of it are called "retcons", but there are no contradictions with what we're discussing. In the control and synthesis endings, the Mass Relays simply break down after emitting their pulses. This is not the same as blowing one up by ramming an asteroid into it, nor would it produce the same effect.

Yes thay all have "FTL" to travel at a faster rate of speed than conventionally, but the massive size of the galaxy is prohibitive of even this as rapid transit, hell even the in-game codex says this. It would take decades at the least to travel any significant distance without a mass relay

In the second two games you see the Normandy navigate between solar systems under its own power with an FTL drive. Also, were it to actually take decades, that still means nobody is stranded. Additionally, most of the Migrant and Turian Fleets are present at the final battle (if your playthrough goes in favor of that), and they would obviously have enough supplies between them to keep everyone alive at emergency rations for a very extended period of time (Jacob's father survived on emergency rations for ten years, even letting some go to waste, and that was for a seemingly simple mission with a relatively small crew where nothing was projected to go wrong). Additionally, the Quarians have been producing their own food in their fleet ships for 300 years. In the event that the Turians were not capable of doing the same (basic agriculture), they could borrow from Quarians. So again, no one is stranded, no one is in danger of starvation. And again, how would these things make it a bad ending? An at least somewhat tragic ending was always inevitable with an all out war with Reapers that nobody adequetaly prepared for. As players we knew that going in.

This is explained as the keepers evolving to respond not to any Reaper signal, but only from the Citadel itself. This is made totally irrelevant when you consider that, if the Reaper master AI WAS the citadel, why did it need Sovereign there at all to send a signal? Why even need the keepers? Why not just activate the citadel relay itself? Why need "a vanguard" to monitor society if you are the center of their government and have access to every noteworthy bit of info about them directly?

The Catalyst entity clearly distinguishes itself from the Citadel when Shepard says "I thought the Citadel was the Catalyst" and the Catalyst says "no". The Citadel is a part of it, and is its home, but that doesn't mean it controls it more easily than Soveriegn or an indoctrinated servant carrying Reaper tech could. Again, occam's razor suggest that a signal sent from the Catalyst itself would be as ineffective as a signal sent from any other Reaper AI. There's also no evidence that the Catalyst has been involved directly in the extinction cycles from the point of their initiation on. You also have to take into account that even in the ending where the Catalyst agrees with Shepard that a new solution has to be implimented, he cannot willingly activate the Crucible/Citadel combo on his own, so he's clearly bound by some restriction, implying that he has always been bound by such restrictions. Which doesn't make any less sense the the Reapers relying on the Keepers to activate something that belonged to them.

If it was so vital an the last hope of the Prothean resistance, why didn't Vigil even mention it instead of talking about the Conduit? Wouldn't the Prothean's top secret science base planet know about their extremely important anti-Reaper superweapon? I was able to overlook it then, but in hindsight, even hiding the plans for the thing in a Prothean database makes no sense when you remember Vigil and Ilos.

It makes perfect sense. The Reapers eliminated communication between Prothean settlements. Vigil and the Prothean scientists going into stasis at the eve of the war would have known less about a post-invasion weapon than Javik and other last-gen Protheans knew about Ilos.

Rewriting DNA through a space-magic laser field has no place in so well grounded and scientific a series

This could also be applied to the Mass Relays, techno-organic super-monsters, and every other impossibility in the game. Hell, Dragon's Teeth have been doing it since the first game. It fits as well within the physics of this story as everything else we've seen.

and I refuse to call Joker, who still has his limp despite his new "evolved" form, with circuitry lines the highest form of evolution;

Why? He didn't magically recieve cybernetic enhancements, his DNA was rewritten at a microscopic level. His skin was still his skin, and his brittle bones would still be his brittle bones. His genes are what was strengthened.

what exactly happens to EDI and the geth when they're made "organic"? They seemed just fine a minute ago "keeping their own form" as Shepard put it.

They kept their own form same as Joker. Their DNA has elements of organic material in it now (though more accurately I should say they actually have DNA now as opposed to not having it before), same as the Reapers, who appear robotic nonetheless. Nothing about the Synthesis ending contradicts anything else we've seen in the game.

And the little brat seemed to totally ignore that the geth and quarians were living in peace on the homeworld, and that the geth only attacked the quarians in self-defense and stopped immediately when the threat of genocide was over. They were peaceful without Reaper manipulation.

Which is one of the reasons why the Catalyst was forced to admit that his solution was no longer viable. He didn't ignore anything. If anything the fact that he seemed to not realize this until the last minute supports my theory that the Catalyst simply wasn't involved in the actually extinction cycles beyond starting them until Shepard plugged in the Crucible.

Well by that definition they're not literally "stranded" but the galaxy as we knew it can never exist again, thier economies alone can't suport going from near instant pan-galactic transit, to delays measured in decades to centuries. The Turians would totally starve if they seperated from the quarian food supplies, and I doubt the quarians are so ready to give up life on that homeworld they just fought so hard for. Their government leaders are dead, their worlds are in ruin and largley without military forces. Its a new galactic dark age at any rate. And I still stand that the relays should explode with the same force as in Arrival, its not ramming into it with an asteroid, but its still releasing the equivalent destructive force even if by using it at least partially in a new "energy wave." And to top it all off, everything in the whole series could just be the wild imaginings of that old man, and Shepard is just as much the fictional hero in that world as ours and all your friends and adventures weren't even real. Talk about tragic right there, though I doubt it being the case.

The worst bit of all of this is the speculation we're forced into because thre's no epilougue explaining exactly what happened and how your choices influenced it, no closure beyond what you hope for or assume. You can't honestly say that this was your image of a perfect Mass Effect ending, can you?

Wow... using charity to strongarm a team of developers to change the story they've been working on for years. I mean it's great that they actually raised a lot of money for Child's Play but... wow.

Well by that definition they're not literally "stranded" but the galaxy as we knew it can never exist again, thier economies alone can't suport going from near instant pan-galactic transit, to delays measured in decades to centuries. The Turians would totally starve if they seperated from the quarian food supplies, and I doubt the quarians are so ready to give up life on that homeworld they just fought so hard for. Their government leaders are dead, their worlds are in ruin and largley without military forces. Its a new galactic dark age at any rate.

Like I said, a war with the Reapers, as it was built up from the first two games, keeping in mind it took everything the Citadel had in terms of fire power to kill one, which nobody prepared for correctly, and who's victory relied on a weapon that none of them fully comprehended, would have a best case scenario ending like this. It's a bittersweet victory, but it doesn't mean they're doomed. Hell, look at what humans were saying at seeing Earth at the end of the game. Sure, they were heartbroken at the state it was in, but their resolve to rebuild was stronger than ever. None of those races are just going to roll over and die, and much of their technology is still in tact in the best endings.

And I still stand that the relays should explode with the same force as in Arrival, its not ramming into it with an asteroid, but its still releasing the equivalent destructive force even if by using it at least partially in a new "energy wave."

It clearly wasn't the same destructive force because it wasn't destroying anything. There's nothing to suggest that it should have done any different either.

And to top it all off, everything in the whole series could just be the wild imaginings of that old man, and Shepard is just as much the fictional hero in that world as ours and all your friends and adventures weren't even real. Talk about tragic right there, though I doubt it being the case.

Again, there's nothing to suggest this. The old man is telling the story, likely to show how long life endured beyond Shepard's resolution of the war.

The worst bit of all of this is the speculation we're forced into because thre's no epilougue explaining exactly what happened and how your choices influenced it, no closure beyond what you hope for or assume.

Like I said earlier:

We also already know what's next for each race of the galaxy. We know whether or not you actually cured the genophage, and whether or not the Krogan will have a leader who will uphold ideals of peace. We know that between the Geth and Quarians, one claims Rannoch and one is extinct, or they are living together in peace. We know that the turians, asari, and Batarians have to rebuild after losing as much, or possibly more than humans have lost, and we know whether or not they have the resolve to do so in each of our playthroughs.

We know that the galactic races have a tough road ahead without the Mass Relays and the Citadel, but we also know that the ones who showed up to help take back Earth are more unified now than ever, and most know how to acheive faster than light travel, and that Protheans knew how to build Mass Relays. They could have done an epilogue to remind us of all of that, but it would have been redundant.

Nothing has forced anyone into wild speculation because the facts have been laid out for us in the events leading up to the final decision. We know what the individual characters and races plan to do, and we know how strong their resolve to do it is. An epilogue would have harshed the emotional buzz of Shepard either sacrificing himself to save everyone he's come to care about, or fulfilling his desire for revenge against the Reapers through their destruction. The player gets to say goodbye to everyone and everything, and the isolation at the end adds to the drama of Shepard's final choice. It wasn't a typical video game ending, but then Mass Effect isn't a typical game in terms fo story.

You can't honestly say that this was your image of a perfect Mass Effect ending, can you?

I didn't go into the final battle expecting anything, because I could have seen it going literally either way, victory or death. In hindsight though, yes, I think this was an excellent ending for all the reasons I've stated previously. We got to end interspecies conflicts that spanned hundreds to thousands of years, united a galaxy in a fight against overwhelming odds, and used a weapon that could have easily turned into a "fix everything" plot device but didn't, because it didn't fix everything. The grim reality of an all-out war with the Reapers and the cost of it, as it was built up in the first to games, came to fruition. I doubt they could have ended it better without disrespecting their own story or retconning the hell out of it. I did find myself wanted to ask the Catalyst questions about its history, but I can live without it.

Ultimately, the ending is bittersweet, slightly ambiguous (though as I've proven not nearly to the extent people think it is), and it leaves some room for interpretation. But that's only the last ten minutes or so. Players who explore the game and talk to the NPCs up to the end get plenty of closure, but the very last scene isn't about that, it's put behind Shepard so he can focus on the magnitude of the choice he's now faced with. And this has always been Shepard's story. That's a pretty damn good ending in my book.

EDIT: Apologies for always referring to Shepard as "he" in my posts. Mine was male, so that's just how I tend to think of that character. No disrespect intended towards Jennifer Hale's amazing portrayal of Shepard.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I agree with Geneaux. That's why I haven't let anyone's opinion influence me yet.

Was originally gonna quote Geneaux but I got raped by end game spoilers and exited quickly. Didn't read anything important.

Anyway, that's the plan. Sadly I know way more than I should from reading comments or articles. Some people apparently don't know what the spoilers are. Anyway, I'll decide for myself whether or not I think the endings good, but based on everyone else's opinions, I'm not going in with high hopes regardless.

The complaints I'm getting are, namely:

1. It's depressing.

2. Everything you did in all the games don't matter.

3. And yeah, it's probably rushed and full of glitches.

A friend of mine said the ending part of the game felt really rushed and was full of glitches. It is likely that the game simply is unfinished and that it can be fixed with a patch. But I guess that's what everyone are asking for.

No, they're asking for a completely different ending.

1. It's depressing.

2. Everything you did in all the games don't matter.

3. And yeah, it's probably rushed and full of glitches.

The ending will evoke emotional responses in most invested gamers. Point 2 is a straight up lie, and the result of a whole lot of blind rage, and as for point 3, I haven't experienced any glitches in it myself, but it's possible.

The hate all started with the demo, which, while I agree took some getting used to, apparently some people can't get past it. So they rated ME3, the entire game, as low as possible on Metacritic I mean what the hell? So now we already have a bad taste in our mouth, let's nitpick everything else while we're at it!

Well I'm having one hell of a good time. As for the ending I cannot say yet.