Mass Effect: Thread

Finally finished encoding the intro for the Mass Effect 3 Demo to a reasonable size and uploading it to YouTube. Here it is.

jW-LzKHXRHc

Absolutely amazing. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I wouldn't worry to much about some of the things posted here, like the inability to import your old Shepard: it's been confirmed it will be possible to do that in the final released, along with like 180 aspects of your gameplay thought the series, that will shape your Mass Effect 3 story in a particular way.

I found the gameplay to be an improvement over Mass Effect 2 (that one took a little getting used to in the beginning). The dodge moves will undoubtedly come in handy. And melee has never (to me, at least), been a valid strategy in this game, so I really don't mind if it is as clunky as usual (although the Omni-Blade seems interesting, just look at 10:17 in the video).

About some of the other things someone mentioned (I believe it was Pinkie) like the little boy interaction feeling weird, I will cut BioWare some slack. To Shepard, it embodies the innocents he's fighting for, and is a reflection of himself, during his own very troubled infancy. It's just sentimental stuff. I personally like it. But if you don't, it's ok, go ahead and shoot a few rounds at the invincible, demigod-like, kilometer-long ancient sentient machines that just plummeted from the sky and began kicking our asses (see 7:03, 13:50 and 20:46 on the video).

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Well, you should give it a try. I was so impressed, I pre-ordered ME3 immediately (something I've NEVER done with a game) and bought ME1 right away. I'm going to start from the beginning now and play trough the series.

Well, you should give it a try. I was so impressed, I pre-ordered ME3 immediately (something I've NEVER done with a game) and bought ME1 right away. I'm going to start from the beginning now and play trough the series.

It's not because I don't want to play it but because I want to have a ME2 save to import. I forgot that I had lost my old saves. Always planning ahead, I am. [/sarcasm]

I always keep my old save games, but I really don't know why... Right now I can't recall any other series that lets you import your character from game to game, but I have the strangest feeling that I'm missing an obvious one.

MHmm. No, I only played Baldur's Gate II. It's the strangest thing, I could swear I'm missing an obvious one.

Anyway, I'm somewhat conflicted right now about the savegames for Mass Effect 3. On one hand, I just completed ME 2, got the relationship with Jack (was gunning for Miranda, but messed up) and full Paragon rep (and like 40 points renegade, less than one of the segments). I could import that to ME3 and keep going from there. Or, I could start ME1 (which I plan to do now anyway), then import those savegames to ME2, complete it again and then go on to ME3. The thing is I don't have enough time for that, ME3 will be available in a couple of weeks.

Also, Ashley Williams is back in ME3, and hotter than ever. It might be interesting to see what happens if I pick her up in ME1 and stay faithful in ME2.

Decisions, decisions ;)

About some of the other things someone mentioned (I believe it was Pinkie) like the little boy interaction feeling weird, I will cut BioWare some slack. To Shepard, it embodies the innocents he's fighting for, and is a reflection of himself, during his own very troubled infancy. It's just sentimental stuff. I personally like it. But if you don't, it's ok, go ahead and shoot a few rounds at the invincible, demigod-like, kilometer-long ancient sentient machines that just plummeted from the sky and began kicking our asses (see 7:03, 13:50 and 20:46 on the video).

There were like 15 - 20 people in the court room with Shephard and Anderson. Don't remember a sadden face for any of them after the attack.

Or for the men and women in earths orbit, defending it against the reapers. Knowing they had no chance of surviving.

Also, Shepard of all people (and his crew if you wanna look at it this way) KNEW what was comming to earth. They SAW what the reapers did to all the colonists they kidnaped.

I will not stop until all of my foes go down in flames.

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4950/flamingsigld7.jpg

All my friends keep saying they think Ashley's uglier in the third game, to which I told them I'll cut their balls off and sell them to a krogan. I like Ashley in ME1, and her with her hair down is even hotter. It takes some getting used to I think but I got used to it seeing the infamous drawing of her actually wearing those thigh high boots and tinfoil miniskirt, bra sometimes included, and her hair down. Suffice to say, sexy.

My only question about that is, can Ashley just wear whatever the hell she wants? She's wearing a ton of makeup, and her outfit isn't exactly Alliance regulation. Though I think that's explained in that, she's a Spectre and Spectres can do whatever they want.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Or, I could start ME1 (which I plan to do now anyway), then import those savegames to ME2, complete it again and then go on to ME3. The thing is I don't have enough time for that, ME3 will be available in a couple of weeks.

That's negative talk. For a bare bones runthrough of Mass Effect 1, it takes perhaps 15-20 hours. For a complete runthrough, I took about 40 hours (That was completing every sidequest and exploring every planet, no DLCs). Mass Effect 2 is a ton shorter, perhaps 25 to 30 hours full runthrough (with DLCs). You could get it done in about 70 hours.

Assuming 5 hours of play a day, that's 2 weeks. Assuming 12 hours only and only on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, well, that's about 72 hours. Assuming 3 hours of play per day M/T/W/Th, and 6 hours of play per day F/S/Sn, you're looking at something like 50 or 60 hours. Shorter, but not necessarily impossible.

As for Mass Effect 3, I'm all prepped. Just finished my Mass Effect 2 runthrough today, Male Soldier Spacer/War Hero Paragon Shep, all crew survived the suicide mission. Time to play Civ V for 2 weeks. Maybe some Alan Wake thrown in for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM

This talks about DLC and how TotalBiscuit thinks it's gone too far because there's a DLC that was made pre-launch, and unless you buy the Collector's Edition or Digital Deluxe or whatever, you have to pay 10 bucks on Xbox Live or PSN or Origin or whatever. Honestly, I'm fine with that. I would just like the other DLC to be put up too, namely armor, weapons and other stuff, but that's not as big a deal. As long as it's there for me to get later, and it's not a Collector's Edition exclusive, that's fine with me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."