Atheism: Philosophically Redundant?

I would like to start off by saying i'm not here to start a flame war. Even though pretty much everyone on this forum can debate calmly and intellectually, i can just see this turning for the worst. I would also like to clarify that i'm am talking about atheism as in the belief that there is no god or the lack of belief in a god.

Anyways, i've been thinking about atheism as a belief and it became apparent that atheism makes no attempt to answer the big questions of 'why'. I'm not saying that religion is somehow superior because of this, but i am at least grateful for religion's atempts to answer such questions. Atheism has no specified system in which to contemplate such questions, which i think is a fundamental part of your faith (or faith in the lack of faith). What i'm trying to say is when you fill a form and where it says faith/religion/belief you fill in atheism, is that even an applicable answer?

I'll leave you with that, but i'll edit it tommorow to elaborate, clarify and perhaps add some more points, so no rebuttals for now thx.

There's a subtle belief of nihilism with atheism.

I used to be an atheist. I was an atheist mainly because I thought there was no reason to believe in God if the existence of God cannot be proven or if genesis cannot be proven. I wanted to hold on to what was fact and reality and "keep my feet on the ground" as I called it. I was also depressed a lot and didn't know who to turn to at times.

After I became a practicing Christian and found faith in God, I have become in general a more balanced person. I'm not perfect in any way, but I find that my religion in a way keeps me sane.

But some of my best friends are atheists and I don't judge people for not believing in God. Most of them are good decent people anyway.

Whether atheism is philosophically redundant or not, I don't know. I think it depends on the degree of atheism. I know agnostics are more open to philosophy though.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

atheism makes no attempt to answer the big questions of 'why'.

Yes we do, it's called "SCIENCE."

I'm athiest because I have no reason to bow down to a fake figure who has done nothing for me. I used to be very religious, but when life starts getting to shit you really stop caring.

But hey, if there really is a heaven, I'll be looking pretty silly.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

That's when someone like me will suggest Pascal's Wager without knowing all of the repercussions that may ensue.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I used to be an atheist. I was an atheist mainly because I thought there was no reason to believe in God if the existence of God cannot be proven or if genesis cannot be proven. I wanted to hold on to what was fact and reality and "keep my feet on the ground" as I called it. I was also depressed a lot and didn't know who to turn to at times.

There are many things one can turn to such as friends and family, a hobby or something you really enjoy....or if it's a medical condition, medicine.

After I became a practicing Christian and found faith in God,

If I might ask, can you tell me the steps on how that happened?

I have become in general a more balanced person. I'm not perfect in any way, but I find that my religion in a way keeps me sane.

If that is what you need to be "a more balanced person" then I say, more power to you. However, remember (and I know you know this so I'm not so much talking to you as to anyone else): not everyone needs religion or a belief in a deity to "keep one sane".

But some of my best friends are atheists and I don't judge people for not believing in God. Most of them are good decent people anyway.

Whether atheism is philosophically redundant or not, I don't know. I think it depends on the degree of atheism. I know agnostics are more open to philosophy though.

I am actually both atheist and agnostic. Agnosticism and atheism answer two different questions. Agnostics say, "I don't know" and atheists say, "I don't believe".

I say, "I don't know and I don't believe." I know of agnostic theists as well ("I don't know but I believe"). They aren't on a scale, such as atheist<>agnostic<>theist. On theism, you have three options: Theism (belief), atheism (no belief), antitheism (against belief). On gnosticism, you have the same three options: gnosticism (knowledge), agnosticism (no knowledge), and ignosticism (against knowledge, but I'm not sure I'm using the right word here).

Also, I find the very concept of "belief there's no god" to be a bit weird. On the subject of driving a car, you actively drive a car. If you aren't actively driving a car (say, you're watching TV at home), are you still driving? I see the same here with belief. "Not believing" is not "believing in not".

You and many Christians will be looking pretty silly for not getting into Valhalla.

You and many Christians will be looking pretty silly for not getting into Valhalla.

I will reserve a shield and an axe for when you join us in the great hall.

That's when someone like me will suggest Pascal's Wager without knowing all of the repercussions that may ensue.

The problem with Pascal's wager is that there are more than 2 options. There are thousands of different religions and views of the afterlife and only one can be right, which means that a both christians and atheists have an equal chance of not getting into heaven (or whatever other afterlife it may be).

It also assumes a very cynical view of god, since he (if he exists) would know the motives of why one choses to believe in him which means that for Pascal's wager to be a good idea god would have to accept people into heaven even if they only professed to believe in him to avoid eternal damnation. Maybe it's just me but if I were religious that's not the kind of attitude I'd want to ascribe to my deity of choice.

Also atheism isn't any kind of belief system. All it means is the rejection of any kind of god. The only reason it exsists as a term is that for a long time everyone was assumed to be (and the majority was) religious, so those who weren't needed to be distinguished. It doesn't carry with it anything else than the rejection of deities. One can believe in thousands of different things and still be an atheist, Buddhism is a commonly cited example. Buddhism, materialism and (most kinds of) satanism are all equally atheistic views of the universe.

So to answer the original question. "Atheism" doesn't have much "philosophical" content at all so it's a rather pointless thing to ask It is however argued by many that the word is linguistically redundant since we live in a time where it can no longer be assumed of people that they are theists/deists which makes is silly to have a special word for those who aren't, in the same way we don't have special words for people who aren't ambulance drivers or who don't believe that the moon is made of cheese

Guys, first of all let's clear this up with defintions so noone gets confused.

Correct me if you find me wrong.

Religion: Relates to the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities and divine involvement in the universe and human life

Theism: Belief in Deities/Deity

Monotheism: Belief in one deity

Polytheism: Belief in many deities.

Atheism: Relates to the disblief of Religion. There can be different atheists though.

Implicit Atheism: Position when a person has a Belief/Educated Guess that there is no deities

Explicit Atheism: Position when a person strongly rejects the existence of deities.

Pesimism/Neutral Position: Relates to the position of a person when that believes that there is no decisive facts to both atheism and theism.

Alright, so now let's hopefully see this thread using proper terminology unlike some others, hope I helped

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

A slight modification: atheism is only the rejection of gods/deities. It is possible to still be part of a religion, since not all religions have gods.

A slight modification: atheism is only the rejection of gods/deities. It is possible to still be part of a religion, since not all religions have gods.

Nope, it wouldn't fit with the definition of Religion.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Well, religion defined by scholars is:

1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

2. Details of belief as taught or discussed.

Religion in the eyes of the buddhists is Buddhism.

In the eyes of scholars, buddhism is a philosophy.

That isn't the definition I've commonly seen used, but alright.

I think the most important distinction to make is that Atheism doesn't carry with it anything other than the rejection of a god or deity. It's even possible to accept supernatural things and still be an Atheist (though it may not be that common).

Well, I like that Christianity is intellectually credible and existentially satisfying.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

The answer to "why?" is "that's what happened."

The answer to "how" is "science," or "science... eventually."

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I didn't want rebuttals or quotes because i was going to edit these half-baked ramblings into a something readable, i just wanted you guys to think about it for a bit :S

One the same note, editing it has been postponed, in my typical procrastinating fashion.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.