1. 1. What do you think about MLP:FiM

• I like it
    • I dislike it
    • Haven't watched it
    • WTF is this?
    • Neutral

This poll is closed to new votes

pojuyt opinion

I listed why I like the show somewhere before in this thread.

But what you say about it is just to sell their toys and make money; Well DUH, its business. People are in it to make money, just like any other show. And i actually enjoy the show, and honestly i could care less how much money they make from it. If anything i should be glad they do. It's a WIN-WIN situation.

And for the record, i don't buy their toys or T-shirts or w/e. I am not obsessed with the show(you could say i am not as dedicated to the show as others). I simply enjoy watching the show. And i enjoy talking to other bronies, because of the happy/non-hating nature of the community.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FnAtBxpihOE

Toot.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Look, I'm a highly opinionated dick and I know I won't be able to shake any Bronies off the tree of fandom here, but I will take my jabs and watch as you pretty much ignore everything anyone else says since it's great to be included in something.

Now back to my own obsessions.

8MOHI.gif

"It's time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because they're no longer relevant...Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs."

Poiuyt, you're lucky that bronies prefer a "Love and tolerate the SHIT out of you" method of dealing with highly opinionated dicks as opposed to the standard internet method.

Also:

131363984010.gif

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

^That's amazing.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Poiuyt, you're lucky that bronies prefer a "Love and tolerate the SHIT out of you" method of dealing with highly opinionated dicks as opposed to the standard internet method.

Honestly, I'd prefer an actual debate or at least an argument to the cute, not funny picture retort you guys are so fucking fond of.

"It's time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because they're no longer relevant...Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs."

Honestly, I'd prefer an actual debate or at least an argument to the cute, not funny picture retort you guys are so fucking fond of.

Who said that image was intended as a retort? I just thought it would be a nice thing to show you guys here. Way to default to the negative, broski.

Who said that image was intended as a retort? I just thought it would be a nice thing to show you guys here. Way to default to the negative, broski.

Who says I was referring to your image? I didn't even quote it. Way to jump to conclusions, Broseph Mengele.

Who says I was referring to your image? I didn't even quote it. Way to jump to conclusions, Broseph Mengele.

You mention our tendency for reacting with images as opposed to words and your dislike of that habit right after I ended a post that quoted you with an image. Way to not see how your message could be misinterpreted, Brotimus Prime.

^That's amazing.

That was it?

Seriously?

You guys are this crazy over a show which is exactly like every single other tie in show ever made? Oh, silly characters, friendship, magic, dragonthing slaves. It's like watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch or Braceface, or some other daytime cartoon for girls and boys who don't mind feminine content, same quality of plot and humor. Mildly amusing, if you're open to it, but complete fodder to sell toys and videos.

The whole show is made to make money for Hasbro and they obviously pumped an extra couple dollars into it this time, but after checking out my local Target's pony section, I see they've gotten a better overall budget for everything. Expensive toys for stupid kids who'll break them and make their families buy them more expensive toys they'll either break again or forget forever. Or, better yet, some full grown adult with a lot of disposable income and a weak will buys up a collection and tries to include him/herself in some community celebrating the content of a children's cartoon.

a tale as old as time. I'm not saying I haven't fallen prey to it in some respects, but at least I have the self-awareness to admit that the Pokemon tv show fucking sucks, so does He-Man, so does Thundercats and G.I. Joe and so does every kids cartoon that's doesn't open with this symbol:

BO7yY.jpg

Hell, even the classics were rip offs. However, at least they were innovative rip offs, they took a formula, did something new and different and pushed themselves into the stratosphere of greatness. My Little Pony has and will always be a marketing scheme. It's a commercial, a long one with a little culture and plot. The fact that the only reason the cartoon exists is to sell merchandise.

So yeah. That's how I feel after watching an episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

That's also my r1action to the first episode.

Also known as "Username"

The first thing that came to mind when listening to that was "even GLaDOS watches MLP."

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm feeling Pinkie Keen.

Wow, this thread grows so much every time I visit it.

This has probably already been mentioned, but Season 2 premieres on September 17th. Excuse me while I go cry tears of joy into my Rainbow Dash pillow.

You guys are this crazy over a show which is exactly like every single other tie in show ever made? Oh, silly characters, friendship, magic, dragonthing slaves. It's like watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch or Braceface, or some other daytime cartoon for girls and boys who don't mind feminine content, same quality of plot and humor.

I disagree. Braceface was a melodramatic girly cartoon that focused on relationships no one gave a shit about; none of the characters had any redeeming qualities or were likeable in any way. Yes, Braceface is über girly. Before you say, "and MLP isn't?" keep in mind that the conflict of every episode of Braceface was non-existent or trivial at best. Braceface was not funny in any stretch of the word; I don't think they were trying to be funny.

I didn't see enough of Sabrina to give a thoughtful opinion.

How is it any different being an MLP fanboy than say, a Lost, House or a 24 fanboy? Also, why does Looney Toons get your sanction? It has dragons, funny characters, magic and is almost 100% slapstick. I could say that slapstick is one of the cheapest forms of humor available. I actually think the humor is on par with MLP.

The whole show is made to make money for Hasbro and they obviously pumped an extra couple dollars into it this time, but after checking out my local Target's pony section, I see they've gotten a better overall budget for everything.

Again, how is this different from anything ever made? Do you chastise anyone who says that they liked the "Get a Mac" TV spots? Or any other commercial in general?

By the same logic, I could criticize anyone for liking Seinfeld or The Office since the shows exist purely to make money for NBC.

The profit motive is not evil--everything good comes from the profit motive.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

ozDvkBe2rdg

I just realized why I like Rainbow Dash so much: she's the only kid's show character I can think of that displays egoism, selfishness and pride as virtues.

Every other kid's show demonizes them. Think about it: how many can you name? I can think of many counter-examples, e.g. Mr. Krabs from Spongebob. Mr. Krabs created his business and his money from nothing--and his biggest "flaw" is his love for money. Squidward the egoist is portrayed has a pompus, arrogant jerk.

Going back even farther: Sylvester the cat and the coyote are demonized for being selfish; they just want to eat. Yosemite Sam's greed is depicted as evil; he's willing to murder to get money.

EDIT: One last thing: Poiuyt, saying the show is like Sabrina of Braceface is Guilt by Association fallacy. Just because the shows may share some qualities, doesn't mean they're on the same enjoyment or intellectual level; by the same logic I could say, "Batman shares qualities with He-man (a show you denounced); therefore, Batman is the same as He-man and you're a hypocrite."

It's important to assess the shows objectively, like I tried to do in my previous post.