Keyboard layouts

Sign in to follow this  

What keyboard layout to you use?

Right now, the de facto layout is QWERTY. A few years ago, I made the decision to Dvorak; it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm now typing on a keyboard that shows QWERTY letters, but outputs in Dvorak e.g. when I press the "h" key, it outputs a "d". Just think: if Dr. Dvorak patented the design during the roaring 20's it could now be the de facto layout. Instead, he had to patent it during the Great Depression.

I'm tempted to learn Dvorak for left-hand. Does anyone use this? Is it good?

I use qwerty. Have done so since I touched a keyboard for the first time at the age of 6.

QWERTY was never designed for touch-typing, Alyxx. It's normal to have to look down.

While learning, I printed out a layout of Dvorak and put it beside my keyboard; the alternative was buying a Dvorak keyboard, but I didn't want to get used to looking at the keys.

I forgot to mention that there's no solid, empirical, peer-reviewed evidence that Dvorak is better than QWERTY. But I'll take Dvorak since at least it was designed with efficiency in mind, as opposed to QWERTY.

I've considered getting a Dvorak but never done anything about it.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I've never even SEEN a keyboard that wasn't QWERTY.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I'm QWERTY, I'm just so used to it now, I don't know whether I could get used to another layout

I tried AZERTY (french keyboard layout) but was very fund of querty so I stick with it :P

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

QWERTY cause as long as a mouse and keyboard works im happy.

Begone the fools that lead me I need not to know accept reclining spirit I need to endure You try to live a lifetime each and every day In this short time of promise you're a memory

QWERTY all the way, I was using QWERTz once and I was really pissed off for it.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

This sounds very interesting. Where could I even begin to learn this?

I've used and occasionally still use dvorak. But I game so QWERTY is what I typically use.

Hi Friend.

I've done several custom layouts before... Designed for gaming efficiency in several different games. Used to switch between 4 different keyboards frequently.

It's easy to just switch the letter key's positions physically on 99% of keyboards, it's the coding a keyboard layout for Windows that's the problem nowadays.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.