Fave Quotes Thread

Sign in to follow this  

I've seen this done on a couple other forums, so I thought I might start it here. Basically you post some of your favorite quotes and discuss if you want.

Here, I'll start:

Realism provides only amoral observation, while Absurdism rejects even the possibility of debate.

FRANCES BABBAGE, Augusto Boal

God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

Voltaire

Governments need to have both shepherds and butchers.

Voltaire

I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil.

Albert Einstein

Hi Friend.

Who gives a shit?

- BTGbullseye

Huh?

- BTGbullsye

Insanity is where it's at!

- BTGbullseye

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

"Except for ending slavery, fascism, Nazism and communism, war has NEVER solved anything."

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

The last one was my very first sig on here.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

"Except for ending slavery, fascism, Nazism and communism, war has NEVER solved anything."

I believe in the ideals of communism. :cry:

I still call myself a communist, because communism is no more what Russia made of it than Christianity is what the churches make of it.

Pete Seeger

Hi Friend.

In case you hadn't noticed,

it has somehow become uncool

to sound like you know what you're talking about?

Or believe strongly in what you're saying?

Invisible question marks and parenthetical (you know?)'s

have been attaching themselves to the ends of our sentences?

Even when those sentences aren't, like, questions? You know?

Declarative sentences - so-called

because they used to, like, DECLARE things to be true

as opposed to other things which were, like, not -

have been infected by a totally hip

and tragically cool interrogative tone? You know?

Like, don't think I'm uncool just because I've noticed this;

this is just like the word on the street, you know?

It's like what I've heard?

I have nothing personally invested in my own opinions, okay?

I'm just inviting you to join me in my uncertainty?

What has happened to our conviction?

Where are the limbs out on which we once walked?

Have they been, like, chopped down

with the rest of the rain forest?

Or do we have, like, nothing to say?

Has society become so, like, totally . . .

I mean absolutely . . . You know?

That we've just gotten to the point where it's just, like . . .

whatever!

And so actually our disarticulation . . . ness

is just a clever sort of . . . thing

to disguise the fact that we've become

the most aggressively inarticulate generation

to come along since . . .

you know, a long, long time ago!

I entreat you, I implore you, I exhort you,

I challenge you: To speak with conviction.

To say what you believe in a manner that bespeaks

the determination with which you believe it.

Because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker,

it is not enough these days to simply QUESTION AUTHORITY.

You have to speak with it, too.

-Taylor Mali

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Just look at my sig.

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters! The silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3

"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

BIRD!BIRD! Kill it Kill it! It's evil ! - GlaDOS

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Life is like a bag of shit... It stinks, and it always seems to show up on your doorstep.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

"There are not many of them, all things considered: the truly old. Even on this planet, in this age, when people consider a mere hundred years or a thousand, to be an unusual span.

There are, for example, less than ten thousand humanoid individuals alive on this planet today who have personal memories of the saber-toothed tiger, the megatherium, the cave bear.

There are today less than a thousand who walked the streets of Atlantis.

There are less than five hundred living humans who remember the human civilizations that predated the great lizards.

There are roughly seventy people walking the earth, human to all appearances (and in a few cases, to all medical tests currently available), who were alive before the earth had begun to congeal from gas and dust.

How well do you know your neighbors? Your friends? Your lovers? Walk the streets of any city, and stare carefully at the people who pass you, and wonder and know this:

They are there too. The old ones." -- Neil Gaiman, "Sandman: Brief Lives"

^ This is true.

"Don't try to out-weird me, three eyes. I get weirder things than you in my breakfast cereal." - Zaphod Beeblebrox, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"God does not play dice with the universe: He plays an ineffable game of His own devising which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players (*i.e., everybody), to being involving in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules and who smiles all the time." --Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet

Mary Ann Cramer: "Is it worth it? Should we just pull back? Forget the whole thing as a bad idea, and take care of our own problems, at home."

Sinclair: "No. We have to stay here. And there's a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics, and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-Tzu, and Einstein, and Morobuto, and Buddy Holly, and Aristophanes…[and] all of this…all of this…was for nothing. Unless we go to the stars." -- Babylon 5, "Infection"

Sebastian: "How do you know the Chosen Ones? "No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother." Not for millions…not for glory…not for fame. For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see." -- Babylon 5, "Comes the Inquisitioner"

G'Kar: "It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath…waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition, or moments…of revelation. This had the feeling of both. […] G'Quan wrote, "There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender." The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born…in pain." -- Babylon 5, Z'ha'dum

Susan Ivanova: "This is the White Star fleet. Negative on the surrender. We will not stand down."

Captain Thomson, Earthforce: "Who is this? Identify yourself!"

Ivanova: "Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Captain Sisko: So... I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - "In the Pale Moonlight"

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I believe in the ideals of communism. :cry:

The person who said that didn't. :/

"The inner mechanizations of my mind are an enigma."

-Patrick Star

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Shepard, how exactly is your first quote true? Maybe I'm not getting it, I just woke up. Urgh. Anyway:

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite store on the Citadel."

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters! The silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3

Be seated.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. Men, all this stuff you’ve heard about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball player, the toughest boxer. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn’t give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That’s why Americans have never lost and will never lose a war. Because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

Now, an Army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don’t know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

We have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit and the best men in the world. You know, by God I actually pity those poor bastards we’re going up against. By God, I do. We’re not just going to shoot the bastards, we’re going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We’re going to murder those lousy Hun bastards by the bushel.

Now, some of you boys, I know, are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you will all do your duty. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them. Spill their blood. Shoot them in the belly. When you put your hand into a bunch of goo that a moment before was your best friend's face, you'll know what to do.

Now there’s another thing I want you to remember. I don’t want to get any messages saying that we are holding our position. We’re not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we’re not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass! We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're gonna go through him like crap through a goose!

There’s one thing that you men will be able to say when you get back home. And you may thank God for it. Thirty years from now when you’re sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what did you do in the great World War II, you won’t have to say, "Well, I shoveled shit in Louisiana."

Alright now, you sons-of-bitches, you know how I feel. Oh, and I will be proud to lead you wonderful guys into battle – anytime, anywhere.

That’s all.

George C. Scott as George S. Patton

Shepard, how exactly is your first quote true? Maybe I'm not getting it, I just woke up. Urgh. Anyway:

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite store on the Citadel."

I'm sorry, but I can't explain to anyOne who isn't Old. ;)

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

"And the Fav Qutoes Thread shall have an inclusion of ThatSmartGuy's grand collection of qutoes in a matter of time"

- ThatSmartGuy

/\ It's true :D

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds [on the ship's intercom]

"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode."

"The hell was that?"

"Okay, we Just lost the platform, gang. I don't know what happened here; we had everything in the world drop out."

"I got three fuel cell lights, an AC bus light;a fuel cell disconnect, AC bus overload 1 and 2,

ma_, bus A and B out."

"Roger 12."

"Apollo 12, Houston. Try SCE to auxiliary Over."

"NCE to auxiliary - - ?"

"SCE to auxiliary."

"What hell's that?"

"SCE, SCE to auxiliary"

"We got it back Flight, it looks good."

"Roger."

In the moon mission Apollo 12, the Saturn V was struck twice by lightning at less than two seconds after liftoff, which killed all on-board electronic systems except for communications and the rocket guidance system, essentially making the 30-story rocket a giant missile with three people strapped to the tip. In the famous call by Electronics Engineer John Aaron, the electrical failure was corrected. This recovery prevented the otherwise likely (and absurdly dangerous) less-than-5000-feet Launch Abort.

Pete Conrad, one of the astronauts, nervously laughed all the way into orbit because of how close they came to an abort.