To remake or not to remake?

Sign in to follow this  

As some of you might have heard, remakes of games are becoming more prevalent. Much of next gaming year is going to be full of remakes.

God of War

Splinter Cell

Metal Gear Solid

Silent Hill.

Not sure if these even count as remakes, I don't see much but some minor graphical updates for MGS, I haven't seen anything on Splinter Cell, and I have yet to look up the other two because of lack of interest for either series.

But I want to see the opinion of fellow gamers? Should remakes of some classic series be done? Or should they be left alone.

On the point of having Remakes:

*For the longest time, games have always been hamstrung by the technological constraints of the old systems they came out on for graphics, cutscenes and even gameplay. (PSX had no mouth movement for people most of the time, HL1 had mouth flaps) This is very evident in the PSX and PS2 era. Now, there are very few constraints. The developers can actually do all the things they wanted to originally.

* For those who never had the systems back then, and missed them the first time, it's your chance to play the games again, without having to go to an old outdated system. Which can sometimes be tough to find, along with the games. (Even worse if you distrust buying stuff online that's not digital distribution.)

*You can play these games on a current system without having to get used to (or relearning) the quirks of the older systems. Ever go back to PSX or N64 and then remember the camera is controlled by the shoulder buttons?

* There are some that did well: Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Things against remakes:

*Sometimes, there's something messed up. MGS: The Twin Snakes, one boss battle is glitched, it is laughably easy even on the highest difficulty setting. For others: It's completely messed up. Play Sonic Adventure on XBOX Live, or better yet, don't. Space Channel 5 as well. (I've only heard)

* It feels like a cheap cash-in attempt by the company to some people. When a remake done badly, this point is completely true.

These are called HD Rereleases man, not remakes. They upres textures and port the engine to HD with antialiasing. It's kind of like calling Half Life Source a remake.

I like when they do stuff like this, because I don't have an SD television to play these games on anymore.

I didn't know the proper term. Regardless, should they do that? Or not?

Wouldn't MGS: Twin Snakes counts as a remake, it's a whole graphics overhaul, along with gameplay overhaul.

Remakes (or re-releases whatever.) should come bundled with new games, Its gotta be a seriously great upgrade to get me to buy the same game again.

or the price should be much lower then the new games coming out. (which this won't happen.)

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

Shilling out money for games I all ready own? No thanks.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Twin Snakes very much was a remake. They used nothing from the original game to create Twin Snakes, so there's nothing to be rereleased.

Hamburglar, it's not just a port to a different system. The majority of these new rereleases are playable in HD.

A newer definition can't sell it for me. The only HD re-release I remember buying was Earthworm Jim HD because not buying Earthworm Jim is a criminal offense. And I understand that Earthworm Jim has been released on every console ever I'm really wondering why I bought it. I all ready own it PC and it's just fine, I don't see why I need to buy the same game because OH GOD OH GOD HD WOWZA I CAN PLAY A 2D SIDE SCROLLER IN HIGH DEFINITION

And Jim's voice sounded awful, cripes, it was like he was voiced by Psy-Crow.

I don't know where I'm getting at with this, but HD re-releases are pointless unless you can't play Silent Hill 2 without enhanced graphics in an all ready fine looking game.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I'm fine with them, simply because with the death of all but 2 of my consoles, I'm no longer able to play any of the good Silent Hill games nor any MGS but 1 and 4. So for me this is fantastic news.

Retired Forum Moderator

A newer definition can't sell it for me. The only HD re-release I remember buying was Earthworm Jim HD because not buying Earthworm Jim is a criminal offense. And I understand that Earthworm Jim has been released on every console ever I'm really wondering why I bought it. I all ready own it PC and it's just fine, I don't see why I need to buy the same game because OH GOD OH GOD HD WOWZA I CAN PLAY A 2D SIDE SCROLLER IN HIGH DEFINITION

And Jim's voice sounded awful, cripes, it was like he was voiced by Psy-Crow.

I don't know where I'm getting at with this, but HD re-releases are pointless unless you can't play Silent Hill 2 without enhanced graphics in an all ready fine looking game.

Sounds like you still have an SD television available to play those games on. Cause playing a standard definition game on any modern hd television (all of them), results in an extremely ugly picture quality, like watching a 240 video on youtube, in fullscreen. SD video is really much better suited to an SD television, cause of the smooth analog quality of the CRT screen.

So no, going back to the SD games sadly isn't much of an option for me since I don't have an SD television anymore, and I can't stand seeing the games in such horrible picture quality.

I want to see Tomb Raider 2!!! Anniversary was great and I think they can do it with TR2 as well.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

I want another game in the Jet Set Radio series

Maybe a re-release of Morrowind

I want a remake of Morrowind with better combat (none of that dice roll BS), better graphics (obviously) and voice acting.

It would be nice to have an MGS4 style remake of the older games. (including PSP titles and the original MGs)

Exactly! Which is why it sucks that all we're getting are slight update re-releases.

However, at least I can have the next two, again, since I gave my PS2 to a friend who got his stolen.

Plus I get to play Peace Walker without having to get a PSP. (And through other means, I no longer have the other MGS games)

I want another game in the Jet Set Radio series

Oh god yes.

Anyways, for the most part remakes are pretty cool because games I missed the first time like Metal Gear Solid, I would be able to play for the first time on a system I actually have. However, even though they're releasing a bunch of MGS remakes, they're not including the original, which I think is a terrible decision and a missed opportunity to gain new fans. Also, with games like Halo: Combat Evolved or Half-Life, which I loved the first time around, I already know the game I'm going to get, and I don't have to worry about whether or not I liked it. Remakes allow fans of certain game series to experience the games they already love in a whole new way.

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, EVERYONE DIES!" - Gordon Freeman

I want a remake of Morrowind with better combat (none of that dice roll BS), better graphics (obviously) and voice acting.

Nah, Morrowing is good, it doesn't need any remake. ;P

I think KOTOR 2 would be great if EVERYTHING in it's plot was finished and made again as a ramake.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

1. What dice roll BS? (ranged combat really does need a revamp though)

2. Get the Morrowind 2011 mod pack.

3. There was plenty of voice acting.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.