General Chat

I don't watch or follow football, but I do love watching and following football.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

By football do you mean American Football, or "soccer" aka "football" aka "the beautiful game"?

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Something hopefully interesting from my life:

Today I got to meet a girl who had a very cool talent: she is missing her left arm to the elbow, however, she can play piano/keyboard at a speed close to Mach 3...with ONE HAND. Supposedly this is because due to having only one arm, her motor skills, strength, and hand-eye coordination in her good arm have all risen to an incredible point. This lets her be able to play incredibly complicated arrangements with only one hand, just by moving her hand around the keyboard SUPER fast.

Anyway, I just thought that was pretty badass.

Continue whatever you were discussing.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Oh. Well that's no fun. I was hoping for an awesome battle of the bands/battle to the death where the sheer power of rock n roll severed her arm and she still won through her godlike piano playing.

Or something.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

So for a while there were some odd graphical glitches going on in all my games, weird 2 dimensional spikes rapidly protruding/disappearing from 3D objects. It's been getting worse and worse over time and I eventually got fed up and decided to look into it.

Apparently my graphics card is now permanently damaged due to overheating. I set all the card options back to factory defaults(I once upped some settings but I guess even a little is too much), and it eliminated A LOT of the spikes but apparently damage has indeed been done as there are still spikes. :/

Between this graphics card and the extreme drop in performance of my computer overall, I don't think this computer is gonna last much longer.

Retired Forum Moderator

Thing is, we're having money issues. if this Computer doesn't at least last me til summer, I'm royally fucked school wise.

It's like, no matter how I baby my computers. Murphey's Law says "fuck that" and screws me over one way or another anyways. the vents on this computer are specifically built for this card and it STILL burns up. :/ I make sure the room temperature is lower than normal to combat the PC temp and clear out any heat pockets that may form around it. Not much else I can do.

Either the guy who designed these vents did a poor job, or this graphics card just get's too hot on it's own.

Retired Forum Moderator

Just get a widget that shows your core temp at all times. I use it when I'm rendering to make sure I don't overheat.

I'd say screw the case and just hang up all the components up on the wall. You won't get better airflow than that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

okay, I got the widget. none of my cores go above 60c during normal tasks but it can get up to 85c when gaming. this bad?

Retired Forum Moderator

85c when gaming

That is really bad. You shouldn't really be peaking at anywhere above 50 and by the time you get to 80 you're damaging your hardware. My friend's CPU used to hit 90c while he was rendering in After Effects and it caused the CPU to burn out within the year.