General Chat

in lgtb because I'm bisexual. That hasn't stopped me from being critical of the movement and their shortcomings. Holding everyone accountable for the actions of the few is stupid because your forcing the blame onto those who aren't guilty of anything. I could just as easily say that you are responsible for all hate based crimes against lgtb people because you're being critical but I'm not because despite being a programmer I don't view he world in 1's and 0's.

That's like sayin all gamers are sexist basement dwellers because you saw a few of them online. I'm guessing I don't need to go into how wrong that is here of all places.

My point isn't that "all LGBT are shitty people", or that "everyone in the LGBT community is responsible", it's "you choose to take on this label, so I can only assume you're okay with being associated with this sort of behaviour since you knew well beforehand this kind of shit isn't some fairytale that never happened".

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

Red and yellow do go together.

Except I'm not okay with that association which precisely why I'm being critical of them.

Retired Forum Moderator

And that's great, this was all just disgusting behaviour. Not just the student, he wasn't too bad. The school is the culprit, it threw procedure into the fire then pissed on it. I guess I can't convince you of anything, but I see this sort of preferential treatment so often I have to say something.

This random YouTuber is getting laid with random hot dudes, and is basically the worst person in existence. Why? Just watch the free video.

The thing is I don't need convincing of anything since I know the LGBT community is flawed. I often rant to my friends all the time about the shit that goes in with it and we're all apart of it. What I'm trying to get at however is pushing the blame onto them when an individual and the legal system or part of it is more responsible for this than lgbt is is not the right way to go about this. Like I said this isn't 1's and 0's. Multiple things are at play here and the world would be better off recognizing that than just lumping it all onto one entity. The idea of preferential treatment over sexuality causes problems in the legal system but to throw legality itself to the wind is another issue altogether.

Retired Forum Moderator

Like I said before, I'm not blaming the whole community. You don't seem to get that. I'm saying the people who really associate with it don't mind it much, or if they do, it's because it makes them look bad. ONE OR TWO, okay? ONE OR TWO, repeated so you understand, out of 1000 might do some fucked shit like this, but IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, and remember THE INTERNET IS A BIG PLACE, this sort of thing isn't even brought up, and when it is it's been excused.

Okay fine blame was the wrong word. It's a little hard to make a coherent point with the correct words when you're trying to mashing out a paragraph on your phone while walking to class.

The whole point I'm trying to make is that what it seems you're doing is throwing a blanket over the whole community, writing your own ideas about what they do and think, and then applying that assumption to everyone who happens to hold any association with LGBT. It's basically the hasty generalization fallacy and it hurts you just as much as it hurts those thrown under that blanket.

Retired Forum Moderator

The problem with that line of thinking is that there are simply too many people, you have to start generalising in order to say anything. You're generalising as well when you say that not everyone is x. There simply are too many people not to.

The problem with that line of thinking is that there are simply too many people, you have to start generalising in order to say anything. You're generalising as well when you say that not everyone is x. There simply are too many people not to.

That isn't what generalizing is, in fact that's the complete OPPOSITE of what generalizing is because it's making it CLEAR that not everyone in a group follows a certain generalization.

I agree that generalization has its purpose as long as you make an effort to be factual and statistical about it, but if you think there's anything factual or statistical about "you should be ashamed to associate with the lgbt community because of this", you aren't the freshest berry in the bunch.

the name's riley

That isn't what generalizing is, in fact that's the complete OPPOSITE of what generalizing is because it's making it CLEAR that not everyone in a group follows a certain generalization.

I agree that generalization has its purpose as long as you make an effort to be factual and statistical about it, but if you think there's anything factual or statistical about "you should be ashamed to associate with the lgbt community because of this", you aren't the freshest berry in the bunch.

Here's where I'm coming from with that: if you assume that /not/ all X are one way or another that's still assuming the amount of people, and is still making a large assumption, just in a different way. Like how squares and circles are shapes but not the same. It's making a broad, general statement about a group of people. I know there's nothing statistical about that, that's why I made it clear, or at least thought I did, that that's what I think, not know.

Except it's not making a large assumption. It's completely factual to say "not all x are y" because in pretty much any demographic that's big enough to generalize, there is always at LEAST one exception to the generalization.

the name's riley

A generalization is taking a single set of characteristics and applying it to the whole. To say that "not all x are y" isn't a generalization since it's accepting that each of the individuals stand on their own. It's pretty much considered as the factual default. With the amount of people that make up a community, it'd be cult-level suspicious if the same set of characteristics factually applied to every member.

Edit: Tangent: Anyone else getting a weird issue where if you try to scroll too quickly while the page is loading the scroll stops working? Only seems to happen to me on this website and it's happened on 3 different computers now.

Retired Forum Moderator

Edit: Tangent: Anyone else getting a weird issue where if you try to scroll too quickly while the page is loading the scroll stops working? Only seems to happen to me on this website and it's happened on 3 different computers now.

THANK FUCK I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! I didn't know that's how you caused it though. I thought it was Chrome giving me the finger.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

That's only happened to me on a tablet. I didn't think it could happen anywhere else

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." ~ Elric, the Technomage

Can't sleep

Clown will eat me

Are you suddenly a schizophrenic? >.>

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

Meh. I swear I've got Bipolar's little cousin or something, these mood swings are killing me. XD Brghrr...

Haven't done much for Easter. Don't usually celebrate holidays. X3

How about you?

-------

Well,I'm doing fine,sort of.

Got some assignments to finish in the coming weeks and I'm a bit worried about it.

Ate some barbecue yesterday,though.Yum. :)

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude