FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 58

I have to agree with a previous poster that I'm not 100% sure about this episode (or the previous one for that matter.) I think Ross has done a good job with the dialogue as always, but I'm less convinced by the ideas. I think one of the strengths of FM is that it feels pretty original in general, but the drugs idea was done very well in Shepard's mind, and teleportation is the kind of 'amnesia' of the mind series world, i.e. a convenient plot device used by pretty much everyone to shoehorn in pretty much anything they feel like.

I'm interested to see where Ross goes with this, but I think I would have preferred fewer gimics. Ross's writing is good enough that he doesn't need them.

uh, so this episode is one of mod?

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I have to agree with a previous poster that I'm not 100% sure about this episode (or the previous one for that matter.) I think Ross has done a good job with the dialogue as always, but I'm less convinced by the ideas. I think one of the strengths of FM is that it feels pretty original in general, but the drugs idea was done very well in Shepard's mind, and teleportation is the kind of 'amnesia' of the mind series world, i.e. a convenient plot device used by pretty much everyone to shoehorn in pretty much anything they feel like.

I'm interested to see where Ross goes with this, but I think I would have preferred fewer gimics. Ross's writing is good enough that he doesn't need them.

In Shepherd's mind I like where he went with it. A spazzum(?) of random teleportation, getting stuck in the floor and the locker. The meetup was nice, but I didn't like Barney's Mind as much as Shepherd's or Freeman's Mind. Barney's mind seemed like such a rushed job, and while I never finished more than like 4 or 5 episodes, the quality was clearly lacking. I think if he put a little more work in it'd be so much better. Fitting, seeing as how Blue Shift was always the odd one out in pretty much every aspect.

Truth be told, if/when Operation Black mesa comes out, I'd like to try taking a crack at making a "Mind" series, with Ross' permission, of course. I'd need to get a good mic, because the one I have right now is subpar in quality. I think I had an Audio Technica or a Blue mic at some point, but I digress, and my voice always sounds so high to me. :roll:

I think the teleportation to Uplink is a cool idea (Not going to put it in a spoiler now since we're on the second page). It's Freeman around the universe, but in 3D! :D I just have no idea where Ross is going to send freeman back. The teleportation chambers seems like the kind of place where Freeman would just say "Hell no!"

I think Ross is using SteamLink because Uplink has no console (as far as I'm aware). Don't quote me on that, though.

Huh, turns out someone made a Black Mesa Source version of Uplink.

I've played that. It's good, but the lighting needs work.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

While I know troops of people will get pissed off either way, I would very much prefer Ross to not skip anything rather than meet his deadline, if it comes down to one or the other. Though Uplink is cool and I don't object to its addition, I hope that it wasn't added to skip the teleporter maze. Yes, it's annoying to play, but that's the point - the most annoying-to-play sections of Half-Life inevitably make the best sections of Freeman's Mind, because Freeman gets to complain about them.

I've found out you can trigger the holster animation in most weapons by switching to a gun that has no ammo. It doesn't work for the shotgun and pistol though, and the SMG of course doesn't have a holster animation.

ODvLq_SVscw

Edit: This only works if you have the unloaded gun ready for quickdraw, unless there's a console command that automatically selects a specific weapon (e.g. 'drawweapon weapon_357'), but I don't know of one. I also recorded this with a screen-capture software, so I don't know if this effect would get lost in a demo playback.

Edit 2: Just tested it; demo playback seems to be okay.

EDIT: By the way, subtitles may be delayed for upwards to a week. A lot of high-priority things going on right now and I have to put off lower priority things such as these subs to a later date. Thousands upon thousands of apologies. Please be patient; they will be done! :)

Hey, I could try doing the subtitles for this episode. It'll be a chance for me to get used to Subtitle Workshop and so everyone doesn't have to wait a week. (I know, SOOOOO long)

"Exits are supposed to be difficult to locate! Because GOD HELP YOU if someone exited your building by accident. Then, they'd have to come back in!"

"Roger, Roger. What's your Vector, Victor?

StrawberryClock posted this on the FacePunch thread, and i thought it was brilliant so i forwarded it here.

"I'd like a one-shot episode (maybe like an episode 58.5) where in his drug-induced hallucinations he plays a level from Black Mesa, commenting on how everything looks WAY too real for some reason and just blames it on the morphine. Perhaps he could just make it non-canon like that other .5 episode where he died." -StrawberryClock

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1419472

Half-Life: Uplink! I remember this. However, it appearing in Freeman's Mind....I didn't see it coming! I do wonder how he's going to get of this though. If I had to guess, I'd assume he's passed out after going through that first portal. Or there'll be a portal at the end of Uplink...I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

This was the only version of HL I could play for years since my computer at the time didn't have a graphics card.

If I'm remembering this correctly, doesn't Uplink end with

Freeman getting cornered in an unwinnable fight?

I've just read about Uplink.

Where the Gargantua corners Freeman, G-Man happens to be onlooking.

Convenient teleportation in the end, perhaps?

Well, unless Ross is playing the '06 extended remake. But still, he has to somehow get back to the labs.

Sign in Tip-Top Variety store window reads, 'Bitch-Slapped-By-The-Invisible-Hand-Of-The-Marketplace Sale'.

I figure he'll just conveniently pass out again. Or teleport. Or possibly played off as a drug-induced dream.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

I figure he'll just conveniently pass out again. Or teleport. Or possibly played off as a drug-induced dream.

I can see that. Like, at the end of Uplink when you're cornered, he just passes out and suddenly wakes up where he would have ended up normally. Then he just rationalizes this whole episode as a fever dream spurred on by shock from having his atoms scattered by the portal or whatever.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I was not expecting Uplink, to be honest. It actually looks really neat-kind of a shame it's a non-canon-ish demo.

I actually suspected it might have been Uplink because of the whole "reposition the comm dish" thing.

I can see that. Like, at the end of Uplink when you're cornered, he just passes out and suddenly wakes up where he would have ended up normally. Then he just rationalizes this whole episode as a fever dream spurred on by shock from having his atoms scattered by the portal or whatever.

I think Freeman will probably flip out and then deus ex machinima back to the chambers via lucky teleport. The episode will end with the Freeman saying that he "needs to take a rest," because he almost died.

In Shepherd's mind I like where he went with it. A spazzum(?) of random teleportation, getting stuck in the floor and the locker. The meetup was nice, but I didn't like Barney's Mind as much as Shepherd's or Freeman's Mind. Barney's mind seemed like such a rushed job, and while I never finished more than like 4 or 5 episodes, the quality was clearly lacking. I think if he put a little more work in it'd be so much better. Fitting, seeing as how Blue Shift was always the odd one out in pretty much every aspect.

I decided to watch Barney's Mind and I have no idea where I got that idea. It's actually pretty good. I'm on episode 10, I think and it is way better than I remembered. I withdraw what I said about Barney's Mind.

Hi!

Can anyone explain me one phrase in this episode?

From 10:45 to 10:50

The original quote: "Hey, it's neon green! Do they throw raves in here? The acoustics would suck."

What Freeman is saying, simplified: "It's bright green in here. Do they have dance parties in here? The sound would be bad."

A "rave" is defined as "Any gathering of people listening and dancing to music, typically in the electronic genre, as played by a set of live disk jockeys (DJs). Often characterized by a positive atmosphere, influenced quite often by drugs and alcohol." Does that help?