ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: KILLING TIME

On 10/30/2022 at 6:49 PM, Im_CIA said:

He's a big guy...

For you

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

A two-headed dog would be Orthros, which was Cerberus's brother in Greek myth.

Tight corridors and sticky walls really sound like a recipe for discomfort.

I think I can see the design sense behind those red orbs. Theoretically, it would make the level layouts a bit more dynamic by creating danger zones in different places during combat. But it looks like they mostly just impede progress in the interior levels.

On 10/30/2022 at 2:56 PM, Mira said:

They should have kept the ducks from the 3DO version

Where do the ducks in central park go during the winter?

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 10/30/2022 at 10:35 PM, Im_CIA said:

Where do the ducks in central park go during the winter?

Cancune?

Burn the World!

I think part of the problem with the game is the extremely low ceilings, like the ones in menzorahban, kinda gives a weird motion sickness. Feels like you are playing as a 2-2.5m character

Burn the World!

On 10/31/2022 at 1:09 AM, nimdok said:

"I do not like the Hell Room."

images.jpg.d2c6aa546b3a113e7f3f421cbb5e9bc3.jpg

On 10/30/2022 at 6:17 PM, kerdios said:

Feels like you are playing as a 2-2.5m character

The Water Clock is Real

maxresdefault (4).jpg

Hello ross! This is same annoying guy again, but since the last game dungeon I become a girl. Well, anyway.

1.Sound pop may come from dosbox emulation, or what was set for music in your config? However I don't know myself as I not played the game much.

2.Thing with the walls is how their custom engine handles the collision. Looks like it has same issue as bethesda's xNgine, but sadly, it is a common thing of the time when you wanted to make REALLY LARGE levels.

3.Thing with mous aim is that someone did bind keyboard key option to the mouse movement in dosbox. There are similar patches for other games, but it is not a real mouselook obv. Broken physics might be the issue with emulation as well. Sometimes physics calculations may be ruined by too fast cpu. And dosbox cycle emulation is sort of janky thing even with tinkering. You may see similar things like that in many DOS games, which don't speed up like crazy with faster CPU like early ones, but still have issues. Again, bethesda's xNgine games physics, or speed of some scripted space ships in Star Wars TIE fighter. So be sure to check whatever in mid-high sys requrements of the game. Maybe changing cycles from auto to something else.

3.5.Sill, as a huge fan of 80-90s CRPGs, I feel so sad that you don't appretiare classic controls! C'mon, they add immersion, feeling of movement, and in games like SS1 and UU1-UU2 that "feel" of freedom of your head from arms. It is rare nowadays, besides some VR stuff.

4.I don't want to be that person recommending games again like "Ross, please, play my game!", I feel ashamed, but your video hit all marks:

-Mention of Daggerfal and landscapes
-Search for more "realistic enviroments in 90s FPS games"

-Search for obscure and ahead of their time games

-Game with maybe similar clipping issues

-Game where you have molotovs and a shotgun and use them a lot

-Game with actual mouselook and 3d render and configurable controls

let you present probably best game of old Bethesda Softworks, 1995 Terminator Future Shock and 1996 standalone addon SKYnet. Those games have plot, music, interiors with destructable items, progression feels and most advanced technologies at the time. Like c'mon, in SKYnet you have full 3d multiplayer in 640x480 with 3d vehicles! Interactivity, enviroment, little details! This is the game for which xNgine was made in the first place and was used for Daggerfall by other, more... messy bethesda sub team. If you want me tips on how to configure game, setup music etc, to have proper working physics, gmidi ost and 640x480 with far draw distance in original game, just ask! Since game is obscure enough to be not present on GOG or Steam

5.Now, I can go into rabbit hole of games like CyberMage (now that would've been a 100% nice Game Dungeon episode. Obscure figure of D.W.Bradely, its connection to system shock, weird comicbook style, attemt to plot delivery via in-game chatacters with voice and some scripted pseudo-scenes in 1995 is also spicy.) but I guess I annoyed you enough!

6.Oh and the last thing, modern doom ports are basically modern engines, even if they loosely originally based on og doom source code, there are probably 0 original code. They are like Source 2 to Quake World.

Happy haloween!

4.png

1.gif

2.png

Edited by ultrayoba (see edit history)

On 10/30/2022 at 7:28 PM, The Screw said:

A two-headed dog would be Orthros, which was Cerberus's brother in Greek myth.

This is follow-up worthy if I remember.

On 10/31/2022 at 2:52 AM, ultrayoba said:

1.Sound pop may come from dosbox emulation, or what was set for music in your config? However I don't know myself as I not played the game much.

It didn't use Dosbox, I believe the original was for Windows 95 anyway.  There was no config to set.

Hmm... I think I remember seeing this game before. The moment I saw the FMV with the guard arguing with the other guy about the ammo it gave me a deja vu. Maybe it was one of those games I saw someone else play at a brief glance and it became buried deep in my memory.

Anyway, the way this game progression is designed reminds me of Hexen. Although, at least in Hexen there was teleporters and shortcuts you could open, so you don't need to backtrack that much.

As for you being confused about the way time was frozen in the island, think it more like everything stopped aging rather than a literal timestop. An example I could think of my head is the pocket dimension inhabited by Death in Diskworld lore. You could tecnically become immortal if you lived there alongside Death (like Albert, Death's manservant), but that's because the hourglass that measures how much time you have left to live pauses when you step on that realm.

Considering Tess's plan was about being young and beautiful forever, I think that's what sort of what happened to the isle. Time still passes, but it does not progress or end.

Edited by Kaiosama TLJ (see edit history)

You guys ready for Halloween?

Credit: Dude Nukem

unknown-9.png

On 10/31/2022 at 5:39 PM, Im_CIA said:

You guys ready for Halloween?

Post the best Halloween decorations you've seen this year, I'll start

hw.thumb.jpg.a77c182c6949a74f9d0d62c12733f856.jpg

On 10/31/2022 at 6:12 PM, ScumCoder said:

hw.thumb.jpg.a77c182c6949a74f9d0d62c12733f856.jpg

That's just Chicago in July

God, I was hyped when I saw this on the blog page. This game fascinated me since I first heard about it one time. It's fascinating how they managed to achieve such an open world at the time. This game could really use a remaster with the better-quality FMVs from the 3DO version (I don't know why they apparently compressed them further for PC).

I would recommend checking out PO'ed, which was another 3DO FPS I actually had a little experience with, but there is no PC version (a DOS version was canned), leaving only the original 3DO version and the PS1 port. If you do ever decide to look at it, I will tell you that it is wacky.