Games that surprised you

Sign in to follow this  

What games did you take a gamble on and discover that you'd found a personal favorite?

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Every first game I played I expected something shitty, in fact, when I played CS 1.3 I didn't really want to get into Half-life, I was busy with CS.

Then I actually played it, the result was almost every factor in my life hehe.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Dungeon crawl and FEAR. Dungeon crawl seemed at first glance very complex and difficult without a point in sight. Before FEAR I did not like horror games at all, but FEAR sure did surprise me (in more than one way). Both of them are now in my list of favorites.

I'm sure there's plenty for me, but one that comes to mind right now is Metro 2033. That game surprised me repeatedly in a good way. I'm quite interested in the sequel.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Battlefield Bad Company 2. I loved Battlefield 2, but the first time I played BFBC2 Multi-player I hated it. Second time I played it I loved it. That seems to happen to me with everything.

I'm sure there's plenty for me, but one that comes to mind right now is Metro 2033. That game surprised me repeatedly in a good way. I'm quite interested in the sequel.

I just bought that the other day, loving it.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Unreal. My dad and I picked it up in the local store 12-13 years ago. Dirt cheap and we had no idea what it was (This was before I was an internet goer). Have never made a more successful gamble since.

Unreal. My dad and I picked it up in the local store 12-13 years ago. Dirt cheap and we had no idea what it was (This was before I was an internet goer). Have never made a more successful gamble since.

Unreal is absolutely fantastic.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Ico. I got it around the time it was released. I was about maybe 9 or 10 at the time. I had honestly no idea what it was. At the time, I had saved up enough money to get myself a PS2, and my mom gave me 50 bucks to get games. I just kind of went crazy in the game store trying to choose, as you'll probably remember, back in the days of childhood, games are a very valuable commodity.

I ended up getting Ico and some other crappy game. Ico ended up striking an emotional chord, something I had never experienced in a video game. To this day, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Jet Set Radio Future

It came with my xbox so, clearly, it wasn't a very good game, so I didn't put it in for a few months. But when I did, I realized how awesome of a game it was. It was really the atmosphere blew me away.

Warcraft 3. I didn't wanna leave Starcraft, but I finally played WC3 and loved it.

Conduit on the Wii, FAIL FAIL FAIL! I stopped supporting the wii now until a new zelda comes out.

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

F.E.A.R. I mean, I didn't expect it to be all that scary, plus I didn't know about the slow-mo and lone wolf combat. It's one of my favorite games now.

I can imagine. That game, for the time, fits the title.

That game still blows my mind and it's 2011. I think it's the best thing Epic has ever done and Gears of War is just trying to hard.

Call of Duty: Black Ops. I went in there expecting to be bored to death, the single player was terrible but I can see the appeal of the multiplayer. The Zombie Mode is awesome, I've only been really playing Free-For-All on the other end. I also got Borderlands with my PS3 and it's awesome too, I haven't tried any characters other than the Siren though, because Phasewalking is the winner's way out.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."