Magnum Usage?

Hi y'all!

I noticed that Freeman seems to never use the magnum in Freeman's mind.

So I was wondering, what do you all think about it? Should Freeman use the magnum or not?

I personally think that he should, now that he has lost all his weapons. Nice gun when doing head shots, or taking out turrets. :twisted:

The reason he hasn't used it is in case he needs a "drop weapon" in case he shoots a civilian, and also because the Glock damage has been increased to the point where the extra power of the Magnum isn't really necessary against the enemies he is facing right now. In other words, he's not fixing what isn't broken.

But Freeman walking around with a .357 would be epic, no doubt about that. I think that sooner or later he'll pick it up again (He'll have lost his weapons after the last episode) and try it out.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Valve themselves mentioned that the reason the Magnum is so effective against Hunters in Episode 2 is because many players to consider it to be the most powerful weapon in the game (And I agree, when I see one of those fuckers the first thing I do is whip out my Magnum. I don't even use it for anything other than Hunters). That said, it would be VERY disappointing if the Magnum didn't get some heavy use at some point during FM. My guess is that Ross is saving it for a good moment.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Maybe another Call Me ____ moment? "Call me John Wayne!"

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Haaaaaaa!

It's funny because it's from a movie.

I'd like to see how he reacts to it. He'd probably shoot it and then laugh saying, "FUCK that thing almost took my arm off!" or something, and then probably never use it again until he has to (or he accidentally pulls that out instead of the glock, which would also be funny)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I'm waiting on him to use it, if not for any other reason than to shot a revolver.

Like the pirate themed one, Ross could have a stereotypical spaghetti western themed one where he only uses the revolver. He speaks in this drawl, spits a lot, and keeps thinking back to his home, home on the range.

Maybe once he gets outside in Surface Tension or sum'n. :)

You have to remember he never picked up any ammo. That and Ross is trying to be realistic here, and it's not realistic to pull out a revolver in the middle of a firefight when you have an MP5. Even if the Magnum kills/incapacitates in one shot, and the MP5 takes three, the MP5 is a machine gun, meaning it will take down multiple soldiers faster before one throws a grenade/a stray bullet hits his head. It just makes more logical sense since logically a revolver and pretty much any handgun is useless when compared to an SMG, shotgun, assault rifle, or pretty much anything else.

I think realism is going to go pretty much out the window as soon as Freeman stumbles upon the Tau Cannon, the Gluon Gun, and the RPG.

I think realism is going to go pretty much out the window as soon as Freeman stumbles upon the Tau Cannon, the Gluon Gun, and the RPG.

And Xen

Like the pirate themed one, Ross could have a stereotypical spaghetti western themed one where he only uses the revolver. He speaks in this drawl, spits a lot, and keeps thinking back to his home, home on the range.

I thought exactly the same thing before actually, though I don't think it should last for the whole episode, but maybe for about ten seconds.

Like when he puts on some Australian accent when he climbs onto the box and into the ceiling and a headcrab appears: "AND THAT'S ABOUT AS CLAOWS AS IT GITS"

When Freeman meets the first alien grunts I think he will whip out the most powerful weapons he has. While we as players know that they could go down quickly with the amplified damage of Freeman's gear, I think he wouldn't try to use the Glock or even the H&K MP5.

One unfortunate thing about Half-Life is that Freeman never gets an assault rifle. He's stuck with a submachine gun, which is not as effective as you might think when dealing with more powerful foes.

He really ought to have been able to pick up something like an M-16.

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

Wow. As many times as I've watched this series through, I completely forgot about the magnum.

But yeah, I really don't think it needs a place in the series since the glock has been reworked and he already established it as the drop weapon.

Retired Forum Moderator

It would be pretty cool if at some point he remembered saying at one point that it'd be awesome if he has two pistols so that he could mimic (insert some movie title here). Then he could use a custom weapon that dual-wields the glock and magnum, perhaps for a mini-boss.