Freeman's Unusual Proficiency In Languages

Sign in to follow this  

I've counted, and it seems like Gordon speaks English, German, Haitian Creole, Hindi, and Spanish. Do you think he actually knows these languages, or just a few phrases? How does he know all these languages? Also, what does he say in Haitian (episode 12) and Hindi? The spanish is very easy to translate since I learned spanish as simple as this back in Middle School (Yo quiero un poco drogas. Estan dondes? Tengo dinero = I want some drugs. Where are they? I have money), and someone was kind enough to translate the German (show me the money), but I have't seen anyone know what he says in Haitian or Hindi.

But I think he's just picking up phrases from working with international colleagues.

That's speculation. I don't really see any indication that any of his colleagues at Black Mesa speak any language other than English. I think he even claimed at one point that he had a working knowledge of Haitian and Hindi, enough so that if he had to flee to those countries he would still be well off. I'm inclined to believe that he learned these languages at MIT, since it fits in with his backstory.

My guess is that his personal life is weird/shady enough that he would need to learn the extra languages. The fact that he knows Eddie makes his life pretty strange.

I don't know about MIT but many universities require you to learn at least 2 other languages in order to earn a PhD.

I don't know about MIT but many universities require you to learn at least 2 other languages in order to earn a PhD.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Also, he's been in Austria so it would make sense for him to know German.

Knowing Low, High and/or Bavarian each might be considered seperate languages xD

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Only a few phrases, for the most part. Just to get him by on the right gang in the right country.

Or maybe he doesn't know perfectly all of these languages. Maybe he was using a few words, or phrases in diffrent language?

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

To graduate with a bachelors degree in the US, you have to pass at least 2 "foreign language" classes. Not enough to be considered fluent, but enough to get by. As to how he seems know so many, maybe he had a few holes in his class schedule and whatever scholarship he went to school on required a full-time schedule, so he picked a few extra language courses, because golf class sounds boring.

Or maybe he doesn't know perfectly all of these languages. Maybe he was using a few words, or phrases in diffrent language?

No, he doesnt ;) No offense Ross, but I didn't really understand the first word (zeigen = show) at first (I had to read the subtitles^^). But the rest was pretty good (better then the german of some people who live here ;) ) and I must admit that german ist probably a lot harder to speak/lern than english.

Oh and keeping in mind that Freeman learned german in Austria it wasn't THAT bad...these guys down there have a very strange accent :D :D

(And now I hope you Americans and Englishmen won't tear me apart because my english isn't perfect either :mrgreen: )

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Fool me once: Shame on you. Fool me twice: EVERYONE DIES!!!

si·lence (noun): The sound people make, when everyone trying to kill you is dead.

(And now I hope you Americans and Englishmen won't tear me apart because my english isn't perfect either :mrgreen: )

How could you imagine such a thing? We're all friends here, right? Right? ...

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

Of course we won't tear you apart; we're used to far worse from native English speakers online.

I really do think he's just learning particular phrases he thinks will someday come in handy. I mean, I don't know jack shit about spanish yet I say "La Fiestas del Diablo estan en mi pantalones." to my friends whenever they start speaking French in front of me, just to throw off their conversation.. :x

and yes, I know, spanish is not french. that's why I say it.

Retired Forum Moderator

"La Fiestas del Diablo estan en mi pantalones."

I might use that as a new catchphrase. Hilarious line XD

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

I really do think he's just learning particular phrases he thinks will someday come in handy. I mean, I don't know jack shit about spanish yet I say "La Fiestas del Diablo estan en mi pantalones." to my friends whenever they start speaking French in front of me, just to throw off their conversation.. :x

and yes, I know, spanish is not french. that's why I say it.

I know Google translate isn't perfect but, "The Devil's Party are in my pants"? How did you even come up with that?!

Google had nothing to do with this translation. estan, last I was told by my mexican aunt, translates into "to be" so the rough translation I was told was "the devil's party is in my pants." and it's a variation on an even older quote my family jokes about which was "El gato esta en mi pantalones"

I may be wrong. As I said, i know little to nothing of spanish. I'm just going on what my aunt told me. XD

Retired Forum Moderator