Team Fortress 2 is free, guys

Sign in to follow this  

This is an interesting move from valve... What are they planning? I presume this is to continue progress on the transition of gaming as a product to as a service.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

It's pretty obvious why. TF2 is still going strong support wise, but it's 4 years old now. Anyone who would have bought it already has by now. The Mann Co. store, the constant flow of hat updates, stuff like the Hatless Update, etc, were all just the bits and pieces to the Free 2 Play update slowly coming together. I mean, the Mann Co. Store has made the Polycount Pack winners hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'd say it's not too far of a stretch that the Store has also given Valve itself a profit equal to or greater than the actual game.

It just makes sense to make (Albeit a limited version) the game free for people if that's the case.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

u forgot something:

More people playing it=More trolls, douchebags, hackers, griefers and dumbarses. happened to me in every single valve server.

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: You just blow that fife

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: the 'if ye know what i mean' aside

Hooper: want to give your men a fast reload? BLOW ME FIRST

u forgot something:

More people playing it=More trolls, douchebags, hackers, griefers and dumbarses. happened to me in every single valve server.

It's not just that there's more people, the fact that it's free makes bans effectively worthless. All you would have to do is make a new account.

u forgot something:

It's not just that there's more people, the fact that it's free makes bans effectively worthless. All you would have to do is make a new account.

VALVe said that they have a system for dealing with this problem.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

Yeah, they say that, but they're lying through their teeth...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Dude, it's Valve. TF2 is their guinea pig for outlandish ideas. So finding ways to make account scumming for a free game impossible is something they'll go all out for on TF2.

From what I understand, it works in a brutally practical manner. I don't know the terminology for the system, but it works something akin to "You get merits for coaching and users recommending you, or assisting other players, whereas you get demerits for doing things that get you kicked out of servers, gagged, banned and so on. Users that have lots of demerits will get features taken away and will have to pay money for them to get them back. Like the ability to use text-chat, voice-chat, sprays, crafting, etc." Something along those lines.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

From what I understand, it works in a brutally practical manner. I don't know the terminology for the system, but it works something akin to "You get merits for coaching and users recommending you, or assisting other players, whereas you get demerits for doing things that get you kicked out of servers, gagged, banned and so on. Users that have lots of demerits will get features taken away and will have to pay money for them to get them back. Like the ability to use text-chat, voice-chat, sprays, crafting, etc." Something along those lines.

That means nothing if you can just make a new account.

That means nothing if you can just make a new account.

^^^

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I got TF2 with the Orange Box 4 years ago but I have never had interest in installing it.

Yeah, but I have the Orange Box, so... thanks :/

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY MORE HAT FORTRESS 2.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

You get a free hat that's from WW1 at least.

hats mean nothing to me. :x

I'm still finding a few empty servers far down the list with vet players just chillin in a nice match. Not EVERYTHING is gone. :P

Retired Forum Moderator

Are the caps really needed? Also, that joke has been old for well over a year now.

Are the caps really needed? Also, that joke has been old for well over a year now.

The hats have been old for a year now too.

I love Team Fortress 2 but I hate those hats and the Huntsman.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."