Media Bias and Video Games

Do you think there is bias in the media against videogames?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there is bias in the media against videogames?

• Yes
    • No

Sign in to follow this  

I have noticed that throughout the years the media, specifically the news media, seems to enjoy playing the blame game on various forms of entertainment. This time it being video games. They have accused games of sexism, racism, causing violence between minors to even accusing it of influencing rape. I want to hear your opinion on this topic. Do you think that there is a definitive bias against video games in the media or not?

Take a vote and/or leave a comment.

EDIT: I just saw a news report about congress wanting to ban the sale of violent video games to minors. One of the reporters said that you could shoot John F. Kennedy in the head in one of the games. All I have to say is, W. T. F.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

I think Jon Stewart had it right when he said that the media is biased... toward laziness and sensationalism.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I voted yes, but it's not just a simple yes/no answer to their recent anti-game tendencies...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Games are a easy scapegoat to point at when somethings goes wrong again,

as it usually does since the errors lie somewhere else but are never addressed

because presenting scapegoats is far easier.

It's easier to blame video games, though. What do you think would attract more viewers (hence more advertising dollars):

"Teen Obsessed With Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Kills Six"

"Teen Obsessed With Hot Pockets Kills Six"

It is often just intention sensationalist reporting, but sometimes they seem to be honestly oblivious of any games other than Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. It's kind of like judging motion pictures based on the Transformers films.

If you guys want some lulz, read the whole Bulletstorm vs. Fox News article series on Rock Paper Shotgun.

Video games with anything slightly sexual in them get the most negative media coverage as far as I'm concerned, people aren't really bothered with violent video games unless it becomes extreme ( Manhunt, MK etc)

I voted yes; I've been playing violent video games since I was 3 or 4, and (if I do say so myself) I'm one of the most rational and... least-likely-to-become-a-serial-killer people that I know of.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

I played Doom when I was 6, and I have still yet to participate in any school massacre.

Same for 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the rest of the people that play/played those 'violent' games.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Most of these school massacre were done because of reasons like bullying by

other students or abuse from adults or similar problems which can be traumatizing

if suffered constantly over a long period of time.

But of course as I wrote before it is easier to use a scapegoat then to admit that

there is something horrible wrong in our society to begin with.

Sadly we humans mostly don't have the guts to admit our faults and mistakes.

Instead we shove away all responsibility rather then using the wasted time (where

we trying to determine whos fault it is, again) on solving the problem. :x

By the way, Doom was my first game played too.

Followed by Dune 2. Ah... good old times playing at Dads office computer every

sunday. :)

I voted yes, but they are pretty much biased against anything to do with technology. However, I'd like to see how the media respond if someone went out and did violent things, and then found out that they had a very large collection of Dora The Explorer stuff.

Or would they just blame it on something else?

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters! The silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3

I voted yes, but they are pretty much biased against anything to do with technology. However, I'd like to see how the media respond if someone went out and did violent things, and then found out that they had a very large collection of Dora The Explorer stuff.

They'd probably just say that a recent study shows that any amount of television affects your brain patterns, causing you to become more irritable or some science blah like that.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

i wonder, was there any WWII FPS in which in the campaign you play as german???

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: You just blow that fife

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: the 'if ye know what i mean' aside

Hooper: want to give your men a fast reload? BLOW ME FIRST

They'd probably just say that a recent study shows that any amount of television affects your brain patterns, causing you to become more irritable or some science blah like that.

I'd love to see that, but with a ton of Fox News propaganda material.

Hi Friend.

For some reason, the whole "murderer who watches Dora the Explorer" concept reminds me of the Pyro from Team Fortress 2.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.