Games that got much better playing them?

Sign in to follow this  

I was wondering if anyone has played games they were initially ready to give up on, that got MUCH better after sticking with it. And by "initially" I don't mean after 5 minutes, I mean after an hour or three of giving the game a real chance. I'm not sure I can think of any I've played that I was ready to bail on that ended up redeeming themselves later.

The only example I can give is probably Halo 1. At my first playthrough the game just gave me a bad taste. The regen health thing, the weapon system, all of that pissed me off.

Then later I picked it up, gave it a real chance and played it for about an evening entirely. It's not really a favourite of mine, but it's better than I initially thought.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. At first the difficulty really started to get to me, but I didn't give up. After about an hour or two of playing the game non-stop, I got better at it. I did really well as a medic.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

World of Warcraft.

Was boring until I met some friends and started questing with them. Still is boring without friends.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'd have to say the first InFamous. I played for about an hour or so and put it down for a week. After a while I kinda said "I just spent precious money on this, I should at LEAST play further in." After a few more hours of play, I was hooked.

Retired Forum Moderator

God of War 3. In retrospect, I don't know what was wrong with me. I had never played a God of War game before, but I rented GOW 3 seeing good reviews everywhere. At first, I just thought the whole thing was kind of laughable, with the overacted characters, and absurd violence, but after a while I understood that those are the kind of things that makes the series so endearing.

@Blightmare

I wish I had the same story about Infamous, but I kept forcing myself to play for what must have been at least 5 hours total. It just had no redeeming qualities.

Team Fortress 2, when you start you just get pwned in every server, even pubs but with the time (and 200 hours of gameplay) you become a somewhat decent player, I'm a good spy and played in the ETF2L Highlander Challenge... My team didn't make it to the 3rd round but still we played nice :P

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Games that get much better after playing them are usually

Multiplayer shooters which have serious competitions going on in multiplayer servers.

Basically all strategy games get boring untill you play with humans or competitively in a server.

Games with a long intro.

Personally, these games fell into that category:

Starcraft, CS 1.6, some mods of Half-life.

If you are looking for games Ross, here is my tips:

If you love multiplayer, teamplay, community, amazing gameplay at times I suggest you pick only 2-3 multiplayer games which have a good community, Ross, and become at least a good sport in them, pick one server or so, and play for competition. You won't ever feel like you need to search for more than 2-3 multiplayer games :). I'm still stuck with either Starcraft 1-2 or CS on multiplayer occasionally. No players can competitively play on two different games at the same time.

For singleplayer games, I suggest Stalker, all Valve games of course, S.W.A.T., FEAR and basically just search for more games of the famous companies. Subscribe to them. Try the early 2000's and late 1990's too, best years of singleplayer.

For short fun Arcade just search DOS classic games on google or play some of the racing games. In case of DOS don't get turned off by the graphics, the games almost always provide what their genre promises.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Deus Ex for sure.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Team Fortress 2. Not just because of all the different weapons, hats, class abilities, vintage hats, gamemodes, and promotional hats you have to keep track of. You have to learn subtler things, such as telling a good server from a bad server, fair trades versus bullshit trades, and how to make YOUR whining about weapons seem more legit than the next guy's. You also need to learn to get involved in the community and the whole update speculation business. Currently we're shitting our pants over the "Grockets" added into 3 maps in an update yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97y4I4Guw3g

From what we can tell, this seems to be a hint towards the Meet the Pyro short, similar to how exploding Doves appeared around random maps out of the Scout class's chest to tease Meet the Medic last month. So really, you need to learn the game, the game within the game, and the community game. And it is fucking worth it in my experience. Especially since it's all for the low low price of nothing or a minimum of 50 cents in the Mann Co Store if you want a premium account.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

Especially since it's all for the low low price of nothing or a minimum of 50 cents in the Mann Co Store if you want a premium account.

Actually it's a $2.50 minimum amount now... (item prices are lower, but that's the minimum to put into the account)

I can't actually think of any game I've played either recently or a long time ago that started weak or shakey and came out awesome... Somehow I think I'm missing out.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I got STALKER Call of Pripyat, and so far it isn't making good first impressions. I really, really hope it gets better.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Especially since it's all for the low low price of nothing or a minimum of 50 cents in the Mann Co Store if you want a premium account.

Actually it's a $2.50 minimum amount now... (item prices are lower, but that's the minimum to put into the account)

Nope. You can put in an item that costs 50 cents and take the option to add 50 cents to your Steam wallet to pay for it.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

It was my very first RPG. I played it, got out of the sewers, walked to Jauffre at the monastery... and gave up. I'd given it 2 hours to be fair and I was hating every minute of it. I sold it on and went back to pwning teh n00bs at COD. Then, 2 years later, I bought it again and it's now one of my favourite games of all time.

Also, concur with Infamous. I bought it and Prototype and Infamous was soo slow in comparison that I gave up. I went back after I'd finished Prototype and it turned out that Infamous was really a far better game than I'd originally thought.

Nope. You can put in an item that costs 50 cents and take the option to add 50 cents to your Steam wallet to pay for it.

Won't let me do that. Still says that the minimum amount you can put into the wallet is $2.50.

Won't let me do that. Still says that the minimum amount you can put into the wallet is $2.50.

Just tried it my way, and apparently you can only add the funds you need for purchases over $5. I'm a big spender, so I never knew this.

I'm a big spender, so I never knew this.

Yup. That's exceedingly common.