What is your accent?

Sign in to follow this  

We all have accents. Americans who have the "standard US accent" are not exempted from the previous statement. Post what kind of accent you have, and try to type out/enunciate how you say a few words.

I, myself have a Southern US accent, living in northern central Georgia. A lot of people say I sound country; one even asked if I was from Texas. I pretty much talk how you imagine I would (assuming you don't imagine all Southerners as hillbillies/rednecks).

How I pronounce words

can't = cain't

oil = sort of like ull

pecan = peh-kon (emphasis on kon)

insurance = INsurance

I pronounce words like orange and horrible the way people outside of the South do, not hawrible or awrange.

while = wah-ull

tired = tah-erd

quiet = quaht

pajamas = puhjomas

think/thing = thank/thang (a bit "redneckish," I know :P)

Note: You don't have to post strictly the words I posted.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

I don't really know how to describe my accent but I guess I could say that it's very monotonous and sometimes nasally. (I have allergies.) Sometimes when I speak to someone, I'll talk normally but then out of nowhere I'll say it like I'm the male incarnation of Fran Drescher.

Here's some examples;

Hi (Hngi)

Goodbye (Goodbah) (Goobaye)

Thank you (Thaunk yoo) (Thaynk yeh)

Sorry (Sourry) (sorreh) (sor-ree)

Yes (Hyes) (Eyess) (Nyess)

I'll also sometimes talk in an southern accent without knowing it. (Similar to your accent.) Even though I've never been south.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

I speak similar to epsilon, except with a less pronounced southern 'twang', if you will. I believe the name for it is Southern Aristocratic.

100 percent average every time, all the time.

i speak with a michigan accent (michigan, usa) i pronounce "R's" slightly like "W's" and i've been mistaken of being from new york, or the UK.

word list:

word: wahrd

york: yahrk

orange: normal enunciation

and thats all that comes to mind right now

i speak with a michigan accent (michigan, usa) i pronounce "R's" slightly like "W's" and i've been mistaken of being from new york, or the UK.

word list:

word: wahrd

york: yahrk

orange: normal enunciation

and thats all that comes to mind right now

One of my PE teachers talks a lot like that; I think he's also from Michigan.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

There are a lot of accents down here in Georgia. Come and get one.

WARNING: Prolonged exposure to north Georgia may cause one of the below, all of the below, or any combination:

Struck by lightning in a severe thunderstorm

Given a deadly concussion by a large chunk of hail

Blown away by straight line winds

Killed by a long tracked, violent tornado

I have a combination and lack of all US accents. No one has ever correctly guessed the state that I grew up in without significant help, or many different guesses.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I have a combination and lack of all US accents. No one has ever correctly guessed the state that I grew up in without significant help, or many different guesses.

I guess Colorado

I'm from Kansas, we don't have too much of an accent, other than the occasionally prolonged R, there isn't much. I guess it makes since Kansas is in the middle of the US and was a major refueling station for trains in the 1800's. (Yes, history, I went there.)

Hi Friend.

Well, having lived in Australia all my life, I have an Australian accent........mate. However, I do talk in a rather sophisticated way, and some people have even taken to calling me Sheldon. If you've seen the Big Bang theory, you'll know why. People say I talk like him.

"Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls, and asks the ghosts if honour matters! The silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3

I guess Colorado

Wrong. Doesn't even share a border.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Iowa?

Idaho?

Washington?

Ohio?

I guess Colorado

Wrong. Doesn't even share a border.

Ahh, that must be where you live now.

Hi Friend.

South Dakota?

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

I say Yeah as Yah

You as yeh (in certain scenerios)

LOL Wisconsin FTW!

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.