Ross's game preferences

Sign in to follow this  

I've been asked before in some emails what games I like to play. Here are some general trends for those that are curious:

Stuff I usually like:

-Action RPGs in general (though I have difficulty getting into Bethesda's stuff)

-Graphic adventure games (they're not dead, they're just niche status now)

-FPSs where I like the theme (it's hard for me to be much more specific than that)

-RTS games that don't require a psychotic level of micromanagement

-Scary games

-Some science fiction or fantasy / supernatural elements

-Games with good writing (I consider this very, VERY rare in the gaming world)

-Games with adult themes (I don't mean X-rated or overly gory, I mean ones that are really targeted towards a mature audience mentally. I consider these extremely rare as well)

-Racing games with scenic locales (wooded mountains, tropical islands, futuristic cities, etc.)

Stuff I usually don't like:

-Turn-based anything

-Anime-themed games

-Games based on movies

-Cartoon-ish graphics

-Games based on actual wars (WWII, Iraq, etc.)

-Shooters without any sort of unreal element to them (mutants, aliens, demons, etc.)

-Unemotive voice acting

-Games with writing straight out of a bad hollywood movie, or even a saturday morning cartoon; full of clichéd dialogue

-Games that get hyped to hell and back

-FPSs so old I can't aim with a mouse

-Racing games on actual raceways (F1, NASCAR, etc.)

-Games with a subscription fee

Games I currently have installed:

-Midnight Nowhere

-Tzar: Burden of The Crown

-Hard To Be A God

-Penumbra: Black Plague

Games I'm looking forward to playing:

-Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

-Starcraft 2

-Risen

-The Witcher

-Gothic 4

-Nehrim mod

-The Journeyman Project 2

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Yeah, I was wondering if you looked at Minecraft at all. I'm addicted and I've had it since last September.

Starcraft II?

-RTS games that don't require a psychotic level of micromanagement

Um, the game doesn't require that you have it, but it helps EXTREMELY that you do.

And base management, AKA Macro. You're going to need a LOT of it.

If anyone needs help... I'm here.

Yeah, I was wondering if you looked at Minecraft at all. I'm addicted and I've had it since last September.

He told me he hasn't. But oddly he has emailed Notch apparently (Notch == Freeman's Mind fan)!

System Shock 2 should be installed on your system, Ross. It takes up a microscopic chunk of a modern hard drive's free space and is some fine gaming to fall back to every now and then. Though it is anything but fun getting it to work right, just installing the 11.1 Catalysts broke it for me for the umpteenth time.

I haven't gotten to Minecraft partly because usually I'm less drawn in on games without objectives or an end. With Minecraft people can spend a LOT of time building things and I know the more time I spent building something there, the more I would feel guilty for not building something else, like a new episode. I do like how it's wildly popular in spite of the older graphics standard. I'm a believer of a good game being a good game period, regardless of graphics.

Oh I know Starcraft is the micromanagement benchmark for good players, but I figure I can handle the single player element. For multiplayer I'll try out Supreme Commander.

I've played System Shock 2, I mentioned it as one of my favorites in the PC Gamer interview. It's also the reason Bioshock was a big disappoint for me, I though except for graphics, SS2 was superior in every way. I still need to play the original System Shock. Someone released a mouseaim mod for it, so now I don't have much excuse.

System Shock 2 should be installed on your system, Ross.

System Shock 2... that brings me back. Such a great game.

A few days ago a dusted off an old copy of Call of cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth. I'd forgotten how scary it was, specially when played in a dark room, with headphones on

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

System Shock 2 should be installed on your system, Ross.

System Shock 2... that brings me back. Such a great game.

A few days ago a dusted off an old copy of Call of cthulhu: Dark corners of the Earth. I'd forgotten how scary it was, specially when played in a dark room, with headphones on

I couldn't make it past the first level.....

I wonder if people that play Amnesia ever found out Call of Cthulhu existed.

I haven't gotten to Minecraft partly because usually I'm less drawn in on games without objectives or an end. With Minecraft people can spend a LOT of time building things and I know the more time I spent building something there, the more I would feel guilty for not building something else, like a new episode. I do like how it's wildly popular in spite of the older graphics standard. I'm a believer of a good game being a good game period, regardless of graphics.

Oh I know Starcraft is the micromanagement benchmark for good players, but I figure I can handle the single player element. For multiplayer I'll try out Supreme Commander.

I enjoyed the single-player campaigns of both Forged Alliance and Starcraft 2, consider them vouched for.

With regards to you liking Graphic Adventure Games, would this include point-and-click games like Day of the Tentacle? If so, have you played any of Yahtzee's Chzu games? They're rather good...

With regards to games with an 'adult' theme, have you ever played Max Payne?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I enjoyed the single-player campaigns of both Forged Alliance and Starcraft 2, consider them vouched for.

With regards to you liking Graphic Adventure Games, would this include point-and-click games like Day of the Tentacle? If so, have you played any of Yahtzee's Chzu games? They're rather good...

forget max payne man, if you want adult, go for manhunt 2

forget max payne man, if you want adult, go for manhunt 2

To my knowledge, Manhunt 2 is fairly mindless. Max Payne had a great storyline, a very noir atmosphere...and a great music theme.

Admittedly though, I don't know much about the Manhunt series (other than that they have been quite controversial, but that doesn't really bother me).

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I think you probably already played them but the THIEF series are very good games an also very obscure, you could also try the first F.E.A.R. game which was very fun and tense, I also heard the game Darksiders is pretty fun and has lot of dark themes in it (Eg. Demons Vs. Angels, Apocalytic Disasters), finally you could try the Dragon Age series but I doubt they are the kind of games you would like.

Stuff I usually don't like:

-Turn-based anything

Son, I am disappoint

Seriously though, I'm not judging your taste

I personally enjoy :

-FPS

HL, HL2, CS ofc

Unreal Tournament - big fan

Return to castle Wolfensten

Painkiller

IGI2

Serious Sam

XIII

Quake III Arena

Aliens vs Predator

Soldier of Fortune II

-RTS

Stacraft - WIN

Warcraft

Age of Empires I,II

Knights of honor

C&C Generals

-RPG (hack and slash)

Diablo II LoD

Devil may cry

Note : I DO NOT like MMO RPG's

-Turn based games

Heroes (HOMM) III, V

-Fighting

Tekken 3

-Action, 3rd person shooters

Grand Theft Auto

Mafia

Hitman

There may be more but those are the ones I can think of right now

I'm into racing games and first person shooters for the most part. I also love old DOS games that I grew up with, such as Duke Nukem and Black Thorne etc...

I'm not into rpg's that much, though I love the Fallout series.

Overall I have a very broad taste, but I tend to dislike games that have an overly "realistic" feel to them. I'm not much of a simulation-type of gamer to put it that way.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

C&C Generals

Omg, i love C&C Generals. I played it when i was younger, brings back good memories. I still play it at lan parties every now and then.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯