Where does Gordon hides all the weapons?

Or, maybe Gordon's a summoner. When he doesn't need something, he stops concentrating on it, and it unsummons. When he needs something, it summons right into his hands. Paired with inability to summon something he never felt (read: never made a physical contact with), we get perfect, 100% gameplay-compatible solution.

On the more boring side, most likely he behaves just like other NPC's. Finds one better weapon, drops another weapon.

For example, the most powerful usable heavy weapon, Tau Cannon (as well as Gluon Gun from original HL) in HL2 is mounted weapon. RPG is next, but is considered more like a tool in certain situations, so, I suppose, it, like its real-life counterpart (the AT4), is discarded after use.

Freeman could carry both sidearms, but it's also likely that he dumped away that CP 9mm Pistol when he finally got the .357 Magnum revolver.

Speaking of other weapons, game sorts them from more to less powerful in this order: Crossbow; Pulse-Rifle; Shotgun; SMG; [9mm Pistol, as well as Alyx's Gun and Annabelle — if Freeman used them, but he doesn't]; Frag. Grenades and S.L.A.M.s (which Freeman doesn't use as well).

Crowbar, Stunstick and Gravity Gun are Melee weapons / tools, he would always carry his gravity gun, but, as he already got his famous crowbar, he would not take with him Combine stunsticks, which are useful to power his HEV suit, but are left behind after, useless for anyone until recharged.

So, it leaves us with sidearm (holstered on hip), longarm, gravity gun (both slung on back), and crowbar (fixed to waist like a cop's nightstick).

Also, I would like to note that while HL1-era Freeman's possesions in real-life most likely would need a miniature armored lorry to haul, in HL2 he could do with a wheelbarrow. That's progress, I suppose.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

A magnetized HEV suit is a hoarder's dream come true. He would get a lot more stuck to his suit than what he wanted. Plus, the magnetism pulling his weapon off target when he's trying to fire would be an enormous pain in the ass.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

I always thought the electromagnet armor thing in Halo was a bit sketchy. It'd be a gigantic power hog, would play havoc with comms signals and unshielded equipment, and any pretense of stealth would be out the window in any situation where electronic EM based detection, identification, or countermeasures were in play. Granted Halo's very run-and-gun oriented anyway, but there's lots of situations in the games where you're implicitly getting the drop on the enemy. Kind of IMO a "voodoo shark" attempt to explain something that doesn't need explaining, on account of it being a gameplay mechanic, not a literal representation of in-world reality.

If you're gonna do that, you might as well have fun with it. Like, say, one of the Spartans' biotech mods is an extra salivary gland that produces a super sticky glue mucus, so whenever MC needs to "holster" a weapon, he licks it like a postage stamp and slaps it on wherever's convenient.

I always thought the electromagnet armor thing in Halo was a bit sketchy. It'd be a gigantic power hog, would play havoc with comms signals and unshielded equipment, and any pretense of stealth would be out the window in any situation where electronic EM based detection, identification, or countermeasures were in play. Granted Halo's very run-and-gun oriented anyway, but there's lots of situations in the games where you're implicitly getting the drop on the enemy. Kind of IMO a "voodoo shark" attempt to explain something that doesn't need explaining, on account of it being a gameplay mechanic, not a literal representation of in-world reality.

If you're gonna do that, you might as well have fun with it. Like, say, one of the Spartans' biotech mods is an extra salivary gland that produces a super sticky glue mucus, so whenever MC needs to "holster" a weapon, he licks it like a postage stamp and slaps it on wherever's convenient.

well yea I would agree with you but as far as we know the hev suit wasnt developed for fighting anything other then a wild xen alien, the likes of which i doubt would have much of a grasp on tactical warfare. i mean it seems to make more sense then pulling them out of thin air. plus the spartans armor had miniature reactor cores in them so power wasnt a worry. but this is just a game you know? (it had a giant floating fetus with telepathic abilities as a final boss) anythings possible.

Oh well, it's better than in Fallout where you can carry ridiculous amounts of ammunition while apparently having nothing to show for it except for a weapon magically stuck to your armor.

Hey it's better than Metal Gear where Snake can carry enough weapons for an army yet it doesn't reflect at all on his player model. But there it is, Stinger missiles randomly appearing in his hands.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

well yea I would agree with you but as far as we know the hev suit wasnt developed for fighting anything other then a wild xen alien, the likes of which i doubt would have much of a grasp on tactical warfare.

True, but we are talking about something designed for use in physical research, which if anything actually makes it worse. You're not gonna want something that screws with your measuring equipment just by being in the general vicinity, to say nothing of what actually carrying it that way might do.

i mean it seems to make more sense then pulling them out of thin air. plus the spartans armor had miniature reactor cores in them so power wasnt a worry.

Again, it's just a gameplay mechanic, not an actual in-universe phenomenon. Any non-ironic attempt to explain it is trying too hard.

You're right about the power thing. I don't know a lot about Halo technology, but it's clear from some of the other devices present that they do have some kind of miniaturized hi-output power technology. Even with that though, it's still way more problematic than just using slings and/or webbing clips. So I still say the whole idea exists solely because some fans can't wrap their OCD heads around the fact that, being a game and not reality, the image presented is going to be imperfect and full of technical compromises.

It's like if you happened to catch a glimpse of an uncovered screw on the side of the (pre-CG) Starship Enterprise. Would you ignore it, knowing that is just a goof-up on the shooting model, or would you feel the need to assume that the "real" starship has some kind of giant techno widget that just happens too look exactly like a three meter diameter #4 Phillips screw head?

Or to use another example, do you ever while watching a movie find your self wondering what kind of in-world observer the camera POV represents, or do you just instinctively accept it as the nature of the media? How about novels written in the third person?

Point is, the fact that it is media and not realty means there's always going to be areas where the compromises of that media make themselves known. The map is not the territory, but there's always people who for some reason can't parse that effectively. So you get things like anime cosplayers who wear pink wigs because they can't understand when pink is just a stylistic stand in for strawberry blond (or blue for black, etc., granted there are some characters who's crazy hair color actually is supposed to be literal, but these are a minority, and usually contextually obvious), and video game fans who can't understand that slings are just an expendable pain in the ass for the devs to model and animate, or that the ability to carry twenty guns at once is put there for the players' experience, not the characters'.

The only way a thread like this makes sense is irreverent fun. Any attempt to actually, seriously treat it as in-world reality would be cross-eyed.

but this is just a game you know? (it had a giant floating fetus with telepathic abilities as a final boss) anythings possible.

No, sorry. That line of reasoning is a false dichotomy and always kind of a cop out excuse. Having a given level of acceptable breaks from reality is not logically the same as anything can happen. It is entirely possible to break a given setting by doing things that conflict with either the internal logic or style.

well yea I would agree with you but as far as we know the hev suit wasnt developed for fighting anything other then a wild xen alien, the likes of which i doubt would have much of a grasp on tactical warfare.

True, but we are talking about something designed for use in physical research, which if anything actually makes it worse. You're not gonna want something that screws with your measuring equipment just by being in the general vicinity, to say nothing of what actually carrying it that way might do.

i mean it seems to make more sense then pulling them out of thin air. plus the spartans armor had miniature reactor cores in them so power wasnt a worry.

Again, it's just a gameplay mechanic, not an actual in-universe phenomenon. Any non-ironic attempt to explain it is trying too hard.

You're right about the power thing. I don't know a lot about Halo technology, but it's clear from some of the other devices present that they do have some kind of miniaturized hi-output power technology. Even with that though, it's still way more problematic than just using slings and/or webbing clips. So I still say the whole idea exists solely because some fans can't wrap their OCD heads around the fact that, being a game and not reality, the image presented is going to be imperfect and full of technical compromises.

It's like if you happened to catch a glimpse of an uncovered screw on the side of the (pre-CG) Starship Enterprise. Would you ignore it, knowing that is just a goof-up on the shooting model, or would you feel the need to assume that the "real" starship has some kind of giant techno widget that just happens too look exactly like a three meter diameter #4 Phillips screw head?

Or to use another example, do you ever while watching a movie find your self wondering what kind of in-world observer the camera POV represents, or do you just instinctively accept it as the nature of the media? How about novels written in the third person?

Point is, the fact that it is media and not realty means there's always going to be areas where the compromises of that media make themselves known. The map is not the territory, but there's always people who for some reason can't parse that effectively. So you get things like anime cosplayers who wear pink wigs because they can't understand when pink is just a stylistic stand in for strawberry blond (or blue for black, etc., granted there are some characters who's crazy hair color actually is supposed to be literal, but these are a minority, and usually contextually obvious), and video game fans who can't understand that slings are just an expendable pain in the ass for the devs to model and animate, or that the ability to carry twenty guns at once is put there for the players' experience, not the characters'.

The only way a thread like this makes sense is irreverent fun. Any attempt to actually, seriously treat it as in-world reality would be cross-eyed.

but this is just a game you know? (it had a giant floating fetus with telepathic abilities as a final boss) anythings possible.

No, sorry. That line of reasoning is a false dichotomy and always kind of a cop out excuse. Having a given level of acceptable breaks from reality is not logically the same as anything can happen. It is entirely possible to break a given setting by doing things that conflict with either the internal logic or style.

That wasn't really a cop out, it was more of a "and this is why i don't really give a shit in the end" kind of thing catch my drift.

In the HEV Fanny Pack compartment of course, it does wonders

"Fat People Not Good"

In the HEV Fanny Pack compartment of course, it does wonders

Haha, now I just picture Gordon with a giant fanny pack...

Giant, lead plated fanny pack that is.

Retired Forum Moderator

That wasn't really a cop out, it was more of a "and this is why i don't really give a shit in the end" kind of thing catch my drift.

That's cool. I guess text doesn't convey that kind of irony very well. Can't fault a guy for taking your words at face value if there was no indication that they shouldn't be, eh?

I still hold on to that he carries them all in his stomach and barfs them up when he needs them.

:lol: I like the way you think!

I know where he puts them all...They're at home, under his mattress.

(If you know where that's from then you're awesome.)