FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 46

Great episode. Freeman is still da best :D

Dont understand how that's worse for middle finger. You have an even half of your fingers with an even number.

But after he shot the snotmonster, he did remember somethings, but not everything. Again, he doesnt know why the army wants to kill him.

Considering he didnt know it in the first place, i'd still say no plothole in that. Besides, if he hasnt mentioned sniper doesnt mean he forgot about that too (btw if you notice, his memory has seemingly recovered to full within few episodes after shooting snotmonster). Not to mention the fact, that often people with partial amnesia from trauma (such as blow to the head) remember things when they encounter same or similar situation.

As for finger discussion- fine, show middle toe: it would be ultimate insult (har-har, Monkey island reference) if someone managed to pull this off. I mean have you ever tried to get just your middle toe straight? XD

But if we have 6 fingers, why not the same number of toe ?

but why should we have same number of toes? 6 fingers can be useful, but 6 or more toes is more pain than gain

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Ah, another excellent episode. You're pandering us ross with this release schedule.

Personally I love it when Freeman takes shortcuts in the game, like you did in this episode. It makes things more interesting, and more realistic-like. Often times I find myself thinking "Now why can't I go there? It's well within my reach." The level design of video games tend to break the immersion by putting invisible walls everywhere, which I hate. So having Freeman do the sensible thing now and then feels quite refreshing. Why jump through a complex obstacle course when in real life you could just skip it? It's good that the Half-Life "allows" that kind of freedom.

This area I thought was particularly psychotic in terms of what they're expecting the player to do. In other games, seeing a minefield and barbed wire means you're at an impasse and you need to figure out another solution. In HL apparently you're just supposed to assume you DO go that way and then just "not die" without any sort of reasoning behind it for this part. I mean it IS a minefield, it's not like your suit has a detector. I honestly forgot the solution, I think it's just to spray and pray at the ground and HOPE you got all the ones in your path. I'm usually pretty tolerant of games being rough around the edges, but I thought this spot was just poorly designed.

It gets even worse in Black Mesa, or at least it feels like it. There though you can at least see the mines and trigger them with grenades. That's how I cleared my way through it; I threw grenades and took out enough to make a path.

Also Ross, I really hope you don't have to rerecord your playthrough of the next part too many times. Even your usual godmode isn't going to prevent the triggered death that comes from setting off a single laser or box of explosives inside the next section. God I hate this next section. It's absolutely bonkers in every possible way, and Black Mesa didn't improve on it at all.

But yeah, I thought you did really well with this episode. It was slower paced, sure, but I enjoyed it quite a bit and feel like you did a fantastic job with what you had to work with. (The line about shooting off all the paint on the suit was particularly hilarious.)

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

It gets even worse in Black Mesa, or at least it feels like it. There though you can at least see the mines and trigger them with grenades. That's how I cleared my way through it; I threw grenades and took out enough to make a path.

Ummm, you can trigger them by shooting them with the pistol. You don't have to waste your grenades...

Freeman's Mind - Episode 46 subtitling Livestreaming is now live! [stream account canceled]

With regards to the loss of memory, that's pretty standard to remember some things later but not others. It's entirely possible that Freeman would remember the sniper from the end of On a Rail but not other things. Like the ninjas. ;)

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Awesome episode, I haven't actually played through the whole game of Half Life, so what untriggered event is Mr. Scott referring to?

As a native of Louisiana, I am legally required to keep my emergency helicopter signalling submachinegun on hand at all times.

Oh, and Ross, any word on episodes 1-44 making it over to TGWTG?

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Ummm, you can trigger them by shooting them with the pistol. You don't have to waste your grenades...

Right, yeah, you're right. I was misremembering.

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

Hey Ross, what is the Steam emulator you mentioned in the Youtube comments?
I'm using one called "MiSteamPrep" but it could be outdated by a few years, there's probably newer stuff now, I haven't checked in a long time. I really just use it for Source SDK and HL: Source. Also just to head off the peanut gallery:

1. Yes, I have had a lot of bugs over the years. Every time I have, I always check to see if the same bug happens in the regular Steam version and it's not a bug from the emulator. In every instance, the same bug also occurs if not MORE in the legit steam version (like demo playback not working in HL Source).

2. No internet is not required for it to work if you have install files. You are always 100% offline if you want to be.

3. Yes, this totally violates Valve's end user agreement. I don't give a damn, because I think breaking dev tools in the middle of somebody's project with no legal recourse to revert back is unethical.

With regards to the loss of memory, that's pretty standard to remember some things later but not others.
Even for people without amnesia.

Oh, and Ross, any word on episodes 1-44 making it over to TGWTG?
No, Machinima's legal department is not responding to me even though their actions clearly show they got my message. I'm going to be escalating things soon.

With regards to the loss of memory, that's pretty standard to remember some things later but not others.
Even for people without amnesia.
I don't think people without amnesia would particularly forget about the giant drumkit-tentacle-monster that nearly crushed them to death on multiple occasions that they had to blow up with a jet engine.

Subtitles for Episode 46 are up!

If anyone watched the stream, thanks for watching. As stated previously, this will probably be the last stream I do because I'm due to start schooling at the end of June and I need to prepare and then concentrate on that. I will continue to do the subtitles for Accursed Farms, but it's probable that they won't come out the same day as the videos' release for the foreseeable future.

My apologies to Ross in advance for that. I will get to the subtitles for future videos as soon as I possibly can but school comes first. Shouldn't be more than a couple days afterwards.

I'm wondering, how do you get any money through the videos on blip.tv? Because, I don't see any adds there. After reloading the page several times, the only thing that showed up in addtion, was a small section of "Featured episodes in Comedy" links to other videos on blip.tv.

I got ads when Episode 45 went up, but haven't seen any since then. I use adblockers to get rid of the really atrocious stuff as well as some of the invasive tracking, but I made sure all blocking is disabled on Blip. I double checked with IE and still no ads.

I love the random musings that Freeman has throughout the series, which usually only serve as humor (which is not a bad thing!). However, in this episode, the random musings about the Xenians after the Manta dropped off the agrunt and the vort served to foreshadow the eventual entry to Xen. I thought that was really smart. Freeman was hypothesizing that dropping the two aliens off from such a height meant that the Xenian borderworld (even if he doesn't know the name yet) necessarily has lower gravity.

Also, I loved the musings about base-12 style math. I looked it up while doing the subtitles (had to make sure I spelled "duodecimal" correctly) and my brain hurts trying to understand it. We probably would be farther along technologically if we had 12 fingers. And don't sweat the middle-finger, folks. Another rude gesture would've been invented and then you would be saying what would happen to that gesture if we only had five fingers. A middle-finger extended isn't inherently rude; we just believe it to be so.

This episode, while not as high on humor or action, served a larger purpose: foreshadowing Xen. And it helps to prepare for the tripmine warehouse for episode 47 which I believe will have a lot of capacity for humor. Can't wait!

I will gladly sit through Real Housewives of New Jersey ads to get to the bounty of Freeman's Mind beyond!

I will gladly sit through Real Housewives of New Jersey ads to get to the bounty of Freeman's Mind beyond!

You have too much willpower.

Ah, another excellent episode. You're pandering us ross with this release schedule.

Personally I love it when Freeman takes shortcuts in the game, like you did in this episode. It makes things more interesting, and more realistic-like. Often times I find myself thinking "Now why can't I go there? It's well within my reach." The level design of video games tend to break the immersion by putting invisible walls everywhere, which I hate. So having Freeman do the sensible thing now and then feels quite refreshing. Why jump through a complex obstacle course when in real life you could just skip it? It's good that the Half-Life "allows" that kind of freedom.

This area I thought was particularly psychotic in terms of what they're expecting the player to do. In other games, seeing a minefield and barbed wire means you're at an impasse and you need to figure out another solution. In HL apparently you're just supposed to assume you DO go that way and then just "not die" without any sort of reasoning behind it for this part. I mean it IS a minefield, it's not like your suit has a detector. I honestly forgot the solution, I think it's just to spray and pray at the ground and HOPE you got all the ones in your path. I'm usually pretty tolerant of games being rough around the edges, but I thought this spot was just poorly designed.

When I did that part I found the path that didn't have mines but one mistake and you blow up. XD

Oh man, totally. I want to help out and all, but dear goodness those ads are just atrocious. It's physically painful.

Even worse, they screw up the player and force me to have to leave fullscreen whenever the video switches. There is literally no redeeming quality to them in even the smallest way. I wish they would let us try to reject certain ads like Hulu does. The phone ads aren't nearly as bad.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Oh man, totally. I want to help out and all, but dear goodness those ads are just atrocious. It's physically painful.

Even worse, they screw up the player and force me to have to leave fullscreen whenever the video switches. There is literally no redeeming quality to them in even the smallest way. I wish they would let us try to reject certain ads like Hulu does. The phone ads aren't nearly as bad.

I know them and car ads at least have kick ass music. :/

hope the legal troubles are smoothed out for good before the fall of civilization Ross!