FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 47

FM47.jpg

Blip.tv link (this one helps me more)

(Downloadable copy will be up a later date)

Freeman's Mind continues, even in the face of dumping water inside my computer. This episode starts off slow, but picks up towards the end. You'll also find the sound effects to be a little more bombastic in this episode as current sound editor Daniel Sheenan (Otto is still helping on other things) took it upon himself to add many new effects that I think came out pretty well. Volume balancing still haunts me as usual however. Even after Daniel's great work, it still took me about 3.5 hours to balance the volume for this episode. If you think you can do a better job than me at volume balancing, go ahead and email me, and you could maybe help with future episodes.

I will try my best to have the next FM episode up in roughly two weeks, however I've been very busy with many different things. Dumping water in my computer amazingly did not seem to help the situation. So it's possible episode 48 will be a little late, however, one of the things I'm spending a lot of time on is the secret Freeman's-Mind-related project I mentioned earlier. So in other words, I may be stalling Freeman a little bit to bring you more Freeman. Freeman.

What? No traumatic alien-gun rectal devastation?

I'm disappointed.

ᛞᛂᛂᛔ ᛁᚿ ᛏᚼᛂ ᚼᛆᛚᛚᛋ ᚫᚠ ᛑᛆᚡᚿ ᛏᚼᛂ ᛋᚢᚿᚴᛂᚿ ᚫᚿᛂ ᚡᛆᛏᛍᚼᛂᛋ ᛏᚼᛂ ᚡᚫᚱᛚᛑ ᛆᛒᚫᚡᛂ ᛆᚿᛑ ᚡᛆᛁᛏᛋ: ᛔᚱᛆᚤ ᚼᛂ ᛑᚫᛂᛋ ᚿᚫᛏ ᛋᛂᛂ ᚤᚫᚢ:

FM47.jpg

Blip.tv link (this one helps me more)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_q_fWBJsi8

(Downloadable copy will be up a later date)

Freeman's Mind continues, even in the face of dumping water inside my computer. This episode starts off slow, but picks up towards the end. You'll also find the sound effects to be a little more bombastic in this episode as current sound editor Daniel Sheehan (Otto is still helping on other things) took it upon himself to add many new effects that I think came out pretty well. Volume balancing still haunts me as usual however. Even after Daniel's great work, it still took me about 3.5 hours to balance the volume for this episode. If you think you can do a better job than me at volume balancing, go ahead and email me, and you could maybe help with future episodes.

I will try my best to have the next FM episode up in roughly two weeks, however I've been very busy with many different things. Dumping water in my computer amazingly did not seem to help the situation. So it's possible episode 48 will be a little late, however, one of the things I'm spending a lot of time on is the secret Freeman's-Mind-related project I mentioned earlier. So in other words, I may be stalling Freeman a little bit to bring you more Freeman. Freeman.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

"Life sucks sober!"

Great episode, loved the rant about the mines. "Mop handle? Add a trip mine!" Oh, and 'military car alarm' too.

Out of curiosity, what are the new sound effects from?

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Great episode, loved the rant about the mines. "Mop handle? Add a trip mine!" Oh, and 'military car alarm' too.

Out of curiosity, what are the new sound effects from?

The shotgun was from left4dead I think, other than that, I have no clue

"Life sucks sober!"

Wow, I'd play the game with those sounds!

The sound for the MP-5 sounds way too hardcore though. Reminds me more of a 5mm machine gun, or some type of stationary anti aircraft gun. :P

Another great episode, the only nitpick I have is how Freeman got into the elevator.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Another great episode, the only nitpick I have is how Freeman got into the elevator.

simple- he just stepped trough the cap between rails

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Great job, although it was a disappointment he didn't get the bee gun. But hey, at least he didn't blow up in that nuclear warehouse.

Herp de friggin' Derp.

I think that's pretty much how I reacted the first time, Kyou. Only after I realizing it wasn't a threat to me I probably tried 'interacting' with it. If it had happened in real life, I probably wouldn't have gotten closer than five yards to it. Yuck.

Looking forward to Freeman grabbing that first Snark. That is just gnarly, like that scene in Trainspotting where Mark tries to fish those pills out of the dirtiest toilet in Scotland. Nobody will just grab something like that out of the blue. Gordon would have to get stoned as wall first. :)

Nice episode. Still feels weird not having to wait 6 months.

Hey Ross, if I watch the blip link multiple times, would you benefit from that?

Black Mesa, the mod, kind of forced you to pick up the hivehand by placing it right near the button to lower the elevator. Of course, if you hadn't picked it up, then you'd miss the hilariousness. ;) Wonder what Ross's Freeman would say to the animation. Anyway, subtitles are up!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Black Mesa, the mod, kind of forced you to pick up the hivehand by placing it right near the button to lower the elevator. Of course, if you hadn't picked it up, then you'd miss the hilariousness. ;) Wonder what Ross's Freeman would say to the animation. Anyway, subtitles just about done and will be uploaded soon.

Back when people were arguing the benefits of switching the show over to Black Mesa, that scene alone was the biggest reason I would have to support that. But only for that scene.

As for the new sound effects, they are neat, but they kinda seem, I dunno, out of place? Considering we have been going with stock for the whole trip, suddenly switching feels weird.

I know it would be a massive amount of work, but if you ever get the rights to the old videos to re-upload, could they maybe be added there to add to cohesion?

Lastly, military car alarm. Cracked me right up. Fantastic.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Great! I just wanted to go sleep and thought I'll check the Accursed Farms website and was pretty surprised. (I actually expected a larger delay)

Freeman not picking up the hivehand was logical, but I expected him to at least check what the turret was guarding. I would have been interested in his reaction finding the uranium 235 just lying around in back of the truck. (But from his previous experience, it would have been logical for the turret to actually be a car alarm or guard a bottomless lunch box or something similar).

But as far as I can recall, there was a box on the second lift, so if you press the button in the computer room, the lift pushes the box into the laser, unless you destroy it first. Where did that box go? Did I miss something, did you remove it on purpose or was that a source engine bug? (Like in earlier episodes where mines exploded before you even got there, bodies disappearing, etc....)

I don't recall a box like that being on that elevator. Every single time I ever played Half-Life, I just jumped down into the elevator area and pushed the button.

As for this episode, what I liked the most, believe it or not, was Freeman's shouting about there not being keys in the ignition of the military truck.

When I was subtitling this episode, I had to listen to this line several times (I have to listen to all the lines several times) to get the wording correct. I could hear both the anger and even a tinge of worry in his voice. It is this tinge of worry that really got me. I loved it.

I too was disappointed that he didn't pick up the hivehand (I understand why he didn't), but I think there might be another one later in the game that he could pickup. I believe it's after the Lambda Core where he has to fight an army of agrunts. Maybe he'll realize by then that the hivehand can be used as a weapon :)

I think that's pretty much how I reacted the first time, Kyou. Only after I realizing it wasn't a threat to me I probably tried 'interacting' with it. If it had happened in real life, I probably wouldn't have gotten closer than five yards to it. Yuck.

Looking forward to Freeman grabbing that first Snark. That is just gnarly, like that scene in Trainspotting where Mark tries to fish those pills out of the dirtiest toilet in Scotland. Nobody will just grab something like that out of the blue. Gordon would have to get stoned as wall first. :)

I wouldn't come anywhere close to that thing myself, but still, for the sake of a potential reaction, i wish he would've skipped the realistic approach. Shooting that guard made up for it, though. I love that happy accident stuff.