FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 47

Yeah, sound editing's fun and all (I've been doing a lot lately), but the added weapon sound effects don't add a whole lot other than feeling out of place. It kinda reminds me of those Thai 5.1 remixes of some early Tsuburaya Productions shows. But still, that didn't take away from the enjoyment of the episode as a whole, just saying.

A Kung-Fu Master, Thomas and Silvia were suddenly attacked by several unknown guys.

I'm hoping for the next episode, that Ross references SLAYER. I mean he referenced SLAYER in Civil Protection. It's always made me wonder. What kind of music does Freeman listen to?! I mean I'm thinking he listens to SLAYER, Pantera, and some random metal band..... :lol: I mean I could always imagine him singing War Ensemble, Raining Blood, or Blood Red out of nowhere all the sudden.... :lol: Just imagine. Also, this was a great episode. Looking forward to the next one.

P.S I'm a SLAYER fan.

:mrgreen::twisted: \m/

I really love all those little touches that make the series feel "more real". Like Freeman sneezing... I wonder if that was originally a flub of Ross sneezing during recording and then deciding to work it in, or a planned thing from the get-go?

realistic1.jpg

:mrgreen:

My in-universe theory here is that the HEV suit provides a Bag of Holding of sorts. Since the Black Mesa Research Facility is engaging in teleportation, my theory is that the suit has a small portal that you can take with you. Stick the weapon into the portal and place it on a convenient shelf somewhere else in the facility. Need the weapon? Stick your hand into the portal and grab it off the shelf.

But the real reason is: Video Game Logic

i know, video game logic, but seriously- i would like to hear Ross's version of that (in form of another rant), as it really starts to bug me, since everything is more realistic lol

but as far as your theory goes- i wonder where this "portal pocket" is..... and why Freeman hasnt used it to store his "backup stash"

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

realistic1.jpg

My in-universe theory here is that the HEV suit provides a Bag of Holding of sorts. Since the Black Mesa Research Facility is engaging in teleportation, my theory is that the suit has a small portal that you can take with you. Stick the weapon into the portal and place it on a convenient shelf somewhere else in the facility. Need the weapon? Stick your hand into the portal and grab it off the shelf.

i know, video game logic, but seriously- i would like to hear Ross's version of that (in form of another rant), as it really starts to bug me, since everything is more realistic lol

but as far as your theory goes- i wonder where this "portal pocket" is..... and why Freeman hasnt used it to store his "backup stash"

Well, to be fair, I don't think he really has that much to carry. He has a crowbar, a pistol, a revolver, a shotgun, an assault rifle, and a missile launcher. Aside from the rocket launcher, and unless I'm forgetting something, that doesn't really seem like that much, all things considered. The only real question is how is he carrying them? Does the suit have some sort of backpack where he can put them? Are they strapped to him somehow?

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

realistic1.jpg

Well, to be fair, I don't think he really has that much to carry. He has a crowbar, a pistol, a revolver, a shotgun, an assault rifle, and a missile launcher. Aside from the rocket launcher, and unless I'm forgetting something, that doesn't really seem like that much, all things considered. The only real question is how is he carrying them? Does the suit have some sort of backpack where he can put them? Are they strapped to him somehow?

The gun carrying could be explained by magnetism as for the bullets Freeman does say "Geez that almost hit me" alot but well thats just my theory.

And you did make a good point asides from the rocket launcher he's weapons shouldn't be that heavy what worrys me more is how does he carry around the mines, rockets, grenade and other explosives.

I fell into a pit I can't get out of. Now in order to survive I've turned in to Pacman and I'm eating old Mentos. Keep dropping em on the ground kids!

Shephard's Mind already did the missing steering wheel gag. And when I saw that episode, I thought, "Man, this is a perfect example of why this is the inferior imitation. Freeman's Mind wouldn't have treated the graphics that literally."

...Awkward!

I have to admit that I didn't like the steering wheel gag, but it wasn't so much because he was "treating the graphics literally" (what?) but because he didn't make nearly as big of a deal out of it as a real person would. I mean, you don't exactly see cars without steering wheels every day, or even at all.

I have to admit that I didn't like the steering wheel gag, but it wasn't so much because he was "treating the graphics literally" (what?) but because he didn't make nearly as big of a deal out of it as a real person would. I mean, you don't exactly see cars without steering wheels every day, or even at all.

well, i wouldnt be wondering if he would have tought that whoever was driving it, used Mr. Bean's security system on that one.

Not to mention this wouldnt be far most bizarre thing he had seen at this point- i mean if you see aliens and humans trying to kill you every single corner, crate smashing room, turret guns in stairs, huge fan with only controls being accessible ONLY when fan is offline, starting ww3 (missle launch) etc, you would simply go "meh" on missing car wheel

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

In Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force, they explain the bag of holding in one of the early missions as a "Personal Pattern Buffer" which holds items such as helmets. They also explain the HUD, or as that game calls it, the Tactical Eye Display. The game was particularly well done by Raven.

I think I found the new sounds to be too much of a continuity error. This is a homage to the nostalgia of Half-Life and its occasionally ridiculous, nonsensical gameplay and flaws. To me the sounds, all of them, are part of that and shouldn't be replaced.

I know Ross has introduced certain realistic and logical elements here and there, but to me this has always been about the original game. For the same reason that he didn't switch to Black Mesa, so I hope this doesn't become the new standard.

I don't get this "he not picking up the hornet gun was logical"-bullshit argument. Of course, a certain amount of "reasoning" has to be there to not break the immersion but just to a certain degree. I mean Ross/Gordon comments on the illogical "architecture" of Black Mesa all the time, like that room with the hanging crates and stuff and thats what hooked me up to Freeman's Mind initially. Not picking up the gun was, at least for me, the illogical decision. It was the first thing that was just lying there without trying to kill Gordon, so as a curious scientist he "logically" would get near it and have a closer look, especially if he saw it used by Alien Grunts (which he also didn't comment on) to shoot stingy things at him.

Don't get me wrong, still loved this episode as I love all episodes and I don't know what Ross has planned so far, but not picking up the Gauss Cannon and now not picking up the hornet gun hurt me a little bit. I hope you either won't go on like this or have other plans with this weapons for later use.

I don't get this "he not picking up the hornet gun was logical"-bullshit argument. Of course, a certain amount of "reasoning" has to be there to not break the immersion but just to a certain degree. I mean Ross/Gordon comments on the illogical "architecture" of Black Mesa all the time, like that room with the hanging crates and stuff and thats what hooked me up to Freeman's Mind initially. Not picking up the gun was, at least for me, the illogical decision. It was the first thing that was just lying there without trying to kill Gordon, so as a curious scientist he "logically" would get near it and have a closer look, especially if he saw it used by Alien Grunts (which he also didn't comment on) to shoot stingy things at him.

Don't get me wrong, still loved this episode as I love all episodes and I don't know what Ross has planned so far, but not picking up the Gauss Cannon and now not picking up the hornet gun hurt me a little bit. I hope you either won't go on like this or have other plans with this weapons for later use.

Honestly, if any of us found ourselves in such a situation... Would you even touch an alien object, even if you noticed it's a pretty good gun? Scientists are usually EXTREMELY careful with such stuff. (Unless they are guys from the "Prometheus" movie ;) ) You don't know what it could do to you. Mix your DNA, drag alien bacteria or viruses into your system or god knows what. And you don't know oif HEV can protect you. No, thank you. :)

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

Honestly, if any of us found ourselves in such a situation... Would you even touch an alien object, even if you noticed it's a pretty good gun? Scientists are usually EXTREMELY careful with such stuff. (Unless they are guys from the "Prometheus" movie ;) ) You don't know what it could do to you. Mix your DNA, drag alien bacteria or viruses into your system or god knows what. And you don't know oif HEV can protect you. No, thank you. :)

Again, in my eyes this argumentation is BS. This is not "us in that situation" or "how we would behave" and it never was. It's Freeman's Mind and I always understood Freeman's Mind as a real guy finding himself trapped in a crappy, illogical and totally fucked up scenario giving half-realistic commentary about virtual-life/fantasy stuff that happens there. If you want to look at FM in such a hardcore-realistic manner, then why didn't he ever get a shot or ricochet to the head, wasn't infected by alien blood or headcrab-enzymes splattered across his face and eventually entering the body through ears/mouth/nose etc. The thing is, Ross has given us always a good explanation (for example why he is physically able to do all this [hazard course]) and stuff but this time the reaction was not satisfying enough to me. I mean, one could argue about why he didn't pick up the Gauss Cannon (instability) and so on, thats fine momentarily but I am the opinion that he eventually has to use each and every weapon available or the revisit of olden days with now Gordons thoughts available isn't complete somehow.

Maybe I'm just overreacting BUT IT GODDAMN HURT!! YOU HEAR THAT ROSS? IT HURTS!! But again, I'm pretty sure he will use all guns later on but just wasn't ready yet.

I don't think Gordon would have realized that it's a weapon. It just looked like a weird alien grub bug to him. Even looking at the grunts, it's not at all obvious that they aren't just shooting those bees from their arms, and that the weapon was ever detachable. Heck, given how much time he spends around the alien grunts (very little) and how much of that time is spent just trying to kill them, he probably wouldn't have even thought to make the connection that the hornet gun he saw was the same thing they were using. He just saw a nasty lump of bug alien lying on the ground and decided to avoid it if at all possible.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

but this time the reaction was not satisfying enough to me. yet.

You. Are. An. IDIOT!!!!!!!

Would you go near an alien larva-creature! I don't think so!

Again, in my eyes this argumentation is BS. This is not "us in that situation" or "how we would behave" and it never was. It's Freeman's Mind and I always understood Freeman's Mind as a real guy finding himself trapped in a crappy, illogical and totally fucked up scenario giving half-realistic commentary about virtual-life/fantasy stuff that happens there. If you want to look at FM in such a hardcore-realistic manner, then why didn't he ever get a shot or ricochet to the head, wasn't infected by alien blood or headcrab-enzymes splattered across his face and eventually entering the body through ears/mouth/nose etc. The thing is, Ross has given us always a good explanation (for example why he is physically able to do all this [hazard course]) and stuff but this time the reaction was not satisfying enough to me. I mean, one could argue about why he didn't pick up the Gauss Cannon (instability) and so on, thats fine momentarily but I am the opinion that he eventually has to use each and every weapon available or the revisit of olden days with now Gordons thoughts available isn't complete somehow.

Maybe I'm just overreacting BUT IT GODDAMN HURT!! YOU HEAR THAT ROSS? IT HURTS!! But again, I'm pretty sure he will use all guns later on but just wasn't ready yet.

Honestly, I don't care that much if he picks certain guns or not. I care about realism as much a spossible in this kind of a gameplay. As you wrote, Freeman is portrayed as a real guy. As far as I know, I'm real too. Surroundings don't have to behave realistic towards him all the times ( he should get shot or faint of hunger if Ross kept the show hyper-realistic ) but his emotional reactions can be as realistic as a real human being, that he is in FM. So yeah, I think any person, scientist or not, scared, tired and alone, would not pick an alien object. After encountering so many of these creatures before he would think this one may turn out REALLY dangerous. Like this time Freeman could get killed of something he hasn't encountered before . And he doesn't want to take more risk than necessary.

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^