Game Dungeon Wish List

How about Red Faction?

Depending on which one, it's probly a little too popular.

He could do an ultra-short, and do McPixel...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

My suggestion is...

Nox

pros: 2-D action based

no respawning enemies

EVERY HUMAN INTERACTION IS VOICE ACTED

the music is ....just amazing

cons: that it's too perfect and for that reason Ross probably won't do it

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

First post, but SPACE RANGERS. I know Ross knows of it, he used it in his "give me money" video. I've played every version, from Space Rangers 1, to Space Rangers 2, to Space Rangers 2: Reboot (version 2.0 of the game), to Space Rangers 2: Reboot: Revolution (fan expansion, might be in English, personally my favorite one), and then Space Rangers HD: A War Apart (which is just a sorta rebranded Revolution but with sorta weirder special weapons and more content also made official).

Space Rangers 2, which was released in 2004 an then subsequently used for every other version, is a game that holds up amazingly today, runs on x64 machines, and it takes place in our galaxy with way too much shit to do. On today's integrated graphics, having several thousand FPS on MAXIMUM is not out of the ordinary. I wonder how many frames will Ross's 660 Ti will render.

EDIT:

EDIT: Also, if possible, I'd like to see a Blades of Vengeance review (you'll need a Sega Genesis emulator for this, Gens or Genesis). Best adventure hack-slash platformer ever.

You can also do what I did, find an old firewire PCI card, get a cheap DV bridge that converts RCA composite to 1394 (firewire), and then record it with some program for Windows 98. That stuff works perfectly fine, even on a recent Pentium. Also have an RF->RCA converter along with an RF input->n.output splitter so that your one RF output outputs for at least 2 TVs, you know the ones for cable, so that you can play it on your TV while recording (because my software doesn't actually update the video when recording it). A technomarket should have that, because I know they're in Ukraine, and Poland should have some.

Sadly, personally I'm missing the converter and the splitter and I have no way of outputting it to my computer otherwise, because I would love for my absurd gaming setup where things from an Atari to a Wii along with a VCR are all connected to the one RF port on my TV to get more absurd with my computer. That'd be fun, but it's already a wiring mess.

Star Control II. I don't know if it counts as 'obscure' because it's a cult classic that regularly shows up on 'best games ever' lists, but there's so much one could talk about, especially when it comes to the story.

Oh hey Wacky Wheels had stolen code. Just saying.

Oh hey, it's the other way around, actually.

Citation [1]

Oh hey Wacky Wheels had stolen code. Just saying.

Oh hey, it's the other way around, actually.

Citation [1]

Oh, yeah, it's the other way around. A Wacky Kart disk (early Wacky Wheels prototype) was left with the source code to it in plain sight by accident, guy stole it, made Skunny Kart.

3079 or 3089...

Would be very interested to hear what Ross would have to say about them.

After Burner on Sega Genesis haha i think that may of been the first game i ever played that or Doom on PC anyways there are a lot of old games i wish i could remember the names of i used to play in the early to mid 90's there was one where you were some guy trying to save a princess or something anyways you would be really skinny get some kinda power up look like Hercules then after another power up you would be a anthropomorphic animal guy and every level had a different animal you would turn into i recall the last being a tiger

Back by popular demand!

Stellar 7. (DOS) ***YOU NEED TO DO THIS GAME!!!***

Elf Land. (DOS - Shareware)

Brix. (DOS - Shareware)

Silpheed. (the original DOS game, not one of the POS remakes)

Ross, I do have a GD request:

Five Nights at Freddy's and the sequels.

Personally, I rwally don't care if the review is scalding and you think the games aren't good. I would just love to see your thoughts and reactions.

Other games:

Cave Story

Iji

OFF

And that's all for now.

EDIT: Maybe Chzo Mythos as well?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Pixel Piracy. That would be interesting, and he could do a good pirate voice for it too if he wants. lol

I only ever played a demo of this, but does anyone remember Whiplash?

Whiplash_Coverart.png

I remember it.....

I think for a good game title for the GD is You Are EMPTY!

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

How about Red Faction?

I have a few stories from playing this game about a year ago :)

The map designers were very heavy on making linear paths with little interconnectedness, if any at all. As much as I dislike this (only for having played too many games with this style) they experimented a little with it more than modern games do and made it tedious and very confusing. So much so I enjoyed it in retrospect.

Before I get to this I need to talk about the saving system for the PC version I played. There was no auto-saving: if you didn't do it, no-one did, and often I would get myself stuck in a situation where I did not have enough health or ammunition to pass the next few enemies because I used the self-overwriting quick-save feature. But hey, if you died the game would present you with a restart button. How nice!

IT WOULD RESTART YOU FROM THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE GAME

A robot might be able to speedrun this game in a few hours but it took my quite a while. I suspect the PC version was a port of the console version that they decided not to test as much (hence the lack of autosaving?), also supported by the fact there are no multiplayer bots in the PC version (but a still alive online community last time I checked in 2014).

Many of the early-game map paths would turn out to be complete dead ends with no hint that you had gone the wrong way. It might not sound like much, but the map design feels so linear in most parts that you're conditioned into thinking that this has to be the right way and nothing short of inspecting every corner for a secret will convince you otherwise. After a minute or so of backtracking you can commonly find the path you need to take to continue, which always tends to be an obvious 'other' choice somehow that you simply didn't see because of your tunnel-vision.

My best memory was of the 'loops' in the map designs. I came across a particular small pit-room that you were supposed to cross in a vehicle, but the bridge was retracted and the controls were on the other side. Unable to remotely activate them, I jumped into the pit and had a look around. There was nothing more than a crack into some water which didn't look interesting enough to me, so I thought I needed to get across.

By this point I had experienced the game glitching out in-map events and triggers many times, so I was firmly of the opinion I should have just been able to shoot the control panel (as you do in other parts of the game) to extend the bridge and cross. Because this wasn't working I made my own way up by cutting a path into the rock wall with explosives. It took several tries and a few reloads but I eventually got it.

Going on by foot I came across a large entrance to an underwater section. OK, I'll dive in! After a few minutes of swimming (no air restrictions in this game) I came across a vertical shaft of water going down with an enemy submarine lurking at the bottom. It's AI had a poor sight angle so I could sneak up behind it, but attempting to damage it would immediately alert it and it would kill me in seconds. The only weapon that worked underwater for me was the standard pistol and this was not enough.

This blocked my progress. Why the hell did the game designers put this here? What was with this really long, empty swimming section through tunnels before it? I couldn't kill it, I couldn't go past it (it was facing the way I wanted to go) and the submarine's driver certainly wasn't going to take a lunch break at any point. So I lured it. I lured it all the way back through the minutes of empty tunnels. The turns in the tunnels were enough to afford me missile-dodging powers sometimes, but not always. Eventually I had lead it all the way back to where I got into the water in the first place so I could use my arsenal of above-ground weapons (on dry land) to kill it. It took only a few short bursts of the assault rifle.

:cry:

Right! Back into the water. Swim through minutes of empty tunnels. Up and down over underwater mines. Finally I find a little opening in the water above me -- it's a SUBMARINE BAY where I can get my own SUBMARINE. That would have made this whole area make sense! But why only after the point I needed it for everything?

About 100 meters after leaving the submarine bay I get to a crack in the ice. Above this crack in the ice is the room with the extending bridge I couldn't get across. Have a think about this for a moment.

Yep. That bridge hadn't glitched out. I shouldn't have scaled the wall with explosives. When I did get to the other side to extend the bridge, all I needed to do was get the vehicle across the bridge and to where I first entered the water to end the mission. I had done everything backwards.

Other memorable things:

1. A cauldron you have to ride in a factory takes ages to arrive after pressing a button. If you don't get in within a few seconds (or fall out because it's so small) then you need to go get a coffee, because it takes ages to come back.
  2. Friendlies are useless and get themselves killed in moments. You're better off killing them and taking their ammo.
  3. There's a few stealth sections. In one you have to avoid the cameras and carry your bodies, and in the other you need to take out the guards one by one so further murdering can be achieved. This is a great breakup of the gameplay from the rest of the game.
  4. You get the first sniper rifle by killing an AI sniper atop a large, generic 'grinding' machine. As you enter his room he shreds through some friendlies as they cry for you to be wary of this all powerful sniper. How do you kill him? With less firepower than even one of your friends had: a couple of rounds from your weak little pistol, more than accurate enough considering he's no-where near a "sniper-rish" range.

Anyway, the game in short: interesting design decisions and choices, but gameplay wise it's a mixed bag. The final boss character is uninteresting as is the final fight. The story is vaguely possibly interesting. The awesome wall-destruction engine is never really used in interesting ways. The characters are highly unbelievable. But there are very interesting and strange parts to the decisions and designs you come across that make it worth playing.

I'd +1 this for the game dungeon, simply because it feels obscure to play. The sequel is more popular (not worth playing as much, except for the cheats) and I suspect very few people ever finished the first game because of its issues, but I'm probably wrong (the console version might have been much, much better).

Ok, now i know what i'm about to suggest is not an obscure game, it is a fairly popular, modern game but i'm going to suggest the game and then give my reason, so if you want to flay me alive for my suggestion, please do it AFTER you read my reason. Anyways to my suggestion.

The Binding of Issac: Rebirth

Ok, now let's clear some things up: yes, this game breaks pattern for game dungeon, yes this game is quite successful, yes this game is fairly well known, yes this game is newer, and lastly, no i'm not suggesting Ross do a let's play for The Binding of Issac

my reasons are actually just based on what i can gather from ross's own statments and what I think he may like in a game. I definitely think The Binding of Issac: Rebirth is a game Ross would enjoy. For starters, while it is a newer game, the graphics are designed to look older. Second, it's a dark game, I'm not going to spoil some of the plot points but there are hints that Issac's life was pretty awful for the duration of the game. The music in my opinion is fantastic. The game is also open ended, leaving some mystery. The amount of secrets, hidden endings, the strangeness, the items, the fact that your character starts out fairly normal and by the end is a hideous misshapen shadow of it's former self that is forced into awful conditions just to survive. The level design AND how the whole thing plays out. It's a hard but fair game that honestly I have sunken innumerable hours into and I think Ross could do a really competent video on it.

I remember Ross saying that he wouldn't mind doing modern games and to be honest i think The Binding of Issac is the perfect modern game for Ross to review, plus because the map is randomly generated he wouldn't have to obsessively make maps.

If i'm leaving out points that are either positives or negatives, let me know, just please do it civilly, i don't want to be called a complete ape just for suggesting a video idea on a forum.

100% is going to be a cut-rate clown

This ain't much, but my suggestion for the Game Dungeon would be something for April Fool's. For April Fool's day, Ross could do a review on Leisure Suit Larry IV: The Missing Floppies. A game so obscure, it doesn't even exist (in fact, it doesn't really exist). He could have someone do some 8-bitl art based on the early Larry games to make it convincing.

Welp, now what?