General Chat

Because I have a cool new phone, and it's just too cool for flames to occur anywhere near your computer.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I just spent the better half of today Working in CryENGINE and I'm surprised at the amount I got done. I ended up changing the whole game from day to night because lol day sneaking and reworked the entire stealth system to check when the player is in the light. On top of that I gave the player a flashlight and retweaked the AI perception scaling. I think it's FINALLY working properly. Logic structuring in the engines flowgraph system is so weird and so easy to mess up, but I've tested every angle from stance changing to use of flashlight to entering light etc and the numbers all shine correct. Lastly I gave a few enemies flashlights that the player has to avoid. The engine doesn't do this automatically so I had to fake it by sticking a detection zone in front of the AI and linking the flashlight to the head bone. Also, enemies you can "knock out." You're really just dealing their exact health in damage when pressing the melee key but, eh, details.

All in all, I got so much done in 6 hours I think I might actually be able to pull this off before Thursday. Assuming I work this diligently for the next 3 days.

Not gonna lie, I feel pretty good.

Retired Forum Moderator

Nice, sounds like fun to play if you get finished with it.

Yeah, I would love to play it, heck I would be willing to beta test it too.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I'll play it too! :3

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Looks like you have a full Beta team on your hands...

lol, no pressure, huh? The thing is, I'm skeptical because a lot of this level is kinda jerry rigged and improvised, meaning there are tons of exploits I can't really fix. I mean, if you guys REALLY want I can upload the compiled game but be warned it's definitely no Metal Gear Solid. That and there's only 1 level. :P

I mean it took a couple weeks and some clever application of alcohol just to get the AI working properly lol.

Retired Forum Moderator

You do know that's a normal released AAA game right?

You do know that's a normal released AAA game right?

It also sounds more complete than the games Ubisoft has been releasing lately.

Also, I'm very serious about beta testing the game.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Hey, I'm sure it's better than some other games I've seen that have been published and made money from. X3

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Well give me a bit to finish up some tiny things then I'll package the files. It's gonna be a large download, there's only so much I can clean up before the game stops working.

Also, the biggest issue by far and I'm afraid I don't currently know how to fix yet, there are no checkpoints. for some reason, after checkpoints load upon death, everything behind the scenes gets all screwy and you can no long hide from the enemies, yet upon inspecting the code, there's absolutely nothing that should be causing it to break. So unfortunately it's back to the start until further notice. :(

Retired Forum Moderator

That's OK... Oh, and it'd be nice if you could put it up in a torrent. (I get much better speed, and FAR more reliable downloading with torrents than I do from a normal download)

If I were to put it up as a torrent, would my own internet speeds affect how fast you can download? because my home internet is incredibly slow (avg 200-300 kbps)

I suppose I could do both and have the normal upload done at my college since they get about 7 mbps. I can't torrent there though as they block them.

Edit: Also for the non-torrent, what would be the best site to upload this to? Dropbox and Google Drive could work but are there any other alternatives that are trustworthy?

Retired Forum Moderator

I recommend Mega.co.nz for uploads.

As for the torrent, despite it being limited to your upload speed, it's only limited for the first person seeded to, then ever section of data downloaded is now limited by your speed + the downloader's upload speed, and it grows... The more people that have the torrent, the higher the download speed. If you can seed it to me, I can seed at 12-30mbps. (1.5-3.75MB/s)

Alright well, I made a topic for it in the game section. I don't have the torrent up yet since I'm at school but I'll give it a shot when I get back home.

Retired Forum Moderator

So, I just got out of my senior thesis class. There were 9 of us. Only 2 people are graduating. I'm one of them.

I'd be a lot more excited but... The things these people turned in... It was so bad. Like, These are seniors. These are supposed to be the best of the best and they're making mistakes that people in the intro to 3D classes are making. Someone turned in a single wall and a single post as an environmental modeler. I had to make 2 games in 9 weeks and I modeled more than that.

Like I never considered myself to have the best work ethic what with my inherent laziness and ADHD, but I'd be caught dead before letting anyone think I'm that unreliable. I'm just shocked at what I saw. What happened? If I was that professor, I'd feel insulted having my students give me that kinda work.

A lot of people give the American education system flak, but if this kinda work ethic is a nation wide thing, then maybe the education system isn't the only one that has problems.

Retired Forum Moderator

Yeah, I would rather turn in a partial, mostly unusable program than I would a couple extremely simple models that take 5 minutes to make. I do understand people that can't do more, but those people shouldn't be taking that class to begin with, or should at least withdraw from the class. (I had the good sense to withdraw from my English Comp classes early on, I know I suck at composition)

The American education system isn't very good to begin with, and the media is pushing for kids to be as entitled and lazy as possible, so their work ethic is practically nonexistent when they get to a class that actually requires them to put forth some effort... This causes lackluster performance, and discourages the teachers, leading to a poor educations system... Goto 10.

It's good that you're graduating, the games really are quite impressive for 9 weeks of solo between-classes work.

Well hopefully they can get it through their head soon that if they can't even manage a few homework assignments, then, as harsh as it sounds, there's no room for them in the industry. For every lazy modeler, there's 2 more eager to take their place. Some of them didn't even seem bothered to be failing, like they know what they do is sub-par and they're fine with it; and I can't understand that thinking. The fear of failing this quarter is what drove me to work as hard as I did.

Also it didn't sink in at the time but I'm finally starting to realize... I'm actually done. Anything that happens from this point on is up to me. Like no more sacrificing personal ideas for the sake of homework assignments. I can actually work on all those ideas that keep popping into my head but could never make time for. I'm quite excited about this actually.

A wise man once said, "Fuckin' finally."

First things first though. I'm gonna take the upcoming holidays as a much needed break/vacation and finally let go all that stress. Come January I think I'll start on my ideas. Also job hunting. That's important too.

Retired Forum Moderator

Yes, having a job is important for having money for stuff like food and shelter... And internet...