General Chat

Thanks spam. Go away.

Hey guys, I'm making a story. I'm trying to make it a sad story. X3 Kinda hard to achieve when you're the one writing it, you don't know if it's sad or not, or if it will have an affect on the reader. So please tell me, how do I make something touching? I have a few things so far:

Character development; create bonds and friendships.

Don't make the story too short. Make a series of events that will develop the character(s).

Make interesting characters that the reader will be intrigued in.

Also, this is a short kinda story. I'm aiming for 40 minutes worth of reading time or maybe less. 30-40 minutes.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

So please tell me, how do I make something touching?

Don't write it with me in mind. ;)

Honestly, make it real... Something that actually makes sense happening in real life without requiring ANY stretch of the imagination. If there is even the slightest bit of unreality to it, it won't work. (unless you build an entire universe in the story, one where the story's reality fits perfectly)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

So please tell me, how do I make something touching?

Don't write it with me in mind. ;)

Honestly, make it real... Something that actually makes sense happening in real life without requiring ANY stretch of the imagination. If there is even the slightest bit of unreality to it, it won't work. (unless you build an entire universe in the story, one where the story's reality fits perfectly)

Also, pulling from your own experiences in life. Think of something that you find/found touching, and use that as a guideline.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Story advice pls

My writing style tends to be on the descriptive side, so I usually have no problem explaining the significance of characters and what they mean to each other etc.

My main point of advice is to make sure your characters are BELIEVABLE. And any instance of loss has to be expounded upon heavily to really drive home the weight of the situation. If you would like me to read and make suggestions for your work, I would be more than happy to. I love reviewing written pieces. :D

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

What's that? I'm assuming people, on the internet, want to know what's going on with my life? Well, I'm going to tell you! One part here, and the other in the Vent thread, cause it's more suitable there. So I, unlike Ross, am very interested in SFM for animation (and possibly Machinima) making. I'm still relatively new to it, but very eager to learn it (when I have the time and energy for it.) Other than little 1-2 minute projects here and there, I have two major projects I have in mind, one would require pretty much everything to be custom made (thus having a team would be best) along with voice actors (as of right now, this kind of project is a pipe dream of mine, one to be done if/when I became famous, at least famous enough for the project to happen). The other project, is more doable now, at most, it would require some custom maps, characters, and props, which I could probably find in the Steam Workshop.

You see, I'm a huge fan of old, retro cartoons, especially Looney Tunes, and Tom and Jerry. With that being said, my other project, I plan on having it being similar to Tom and Jerry, probably called Engineer and Spy (guess who it stars...) so instead of cat vs mouse, it would be human vs human. If anything, I would just be using the characters from TF2, but not set in the TF2 world. However, two things are standing in my way, one is sometimes I'm drained and pissed off after work (more information on the Vent thread), thus I'm not eager to work on SFM, hell sometimes I'm not in the mood to game, and I love to play video games. The other thing? I'm finding it difficult to write 5-7 minute slapstick stories for two silent protagonists/antagonists, depending on the story.

I just had a lawnmower-propelled rock take out the entirety of the sliding glass door behind my house. I sure hope our insurance covers ballistic rocks.

Retired Forum Moderator

That would depend on your insurance... Most don't.

Mower propelled stones are the biggest source of broken glass on stationary buildings.

Lucky for us they did. It was the gardener's mower that threw the stone so apparently that made the difference needed.

Retired Forum Moderator

As long as I don't have to mow the lawn, I'm good, our back yard is of the suck.

I used to have a mower from the early 70's... Power drive, 5HP, pull string start... Custom blades... I could eat trees up to ¾ inch with that thing.

I made $45/hr in the summer mowing lawns in the neighborhood. (the greenest part of Sioux Falls, SD residential area) I averaged $200/week during the summer, and I was only 9 years old. (I even paid rent to my parents at that point)

We had to get rid of our mower because my house is built on an ancient dried up riverbed and while the water is centuries gone, the thousands of small rocks aren't and we've had rock chucks in the past; one that almost hit someone. We've resorted to either the gardener handling the weeds or going out there with a couple barrels and hand-pulling them out ourselves.

Retired Forum Moderator

We had to get rid of our mower because my house is built on an ancient dried up riverbed and while the water is centuries gone, the thousands of small rocks aren't and we've had rock chucks in the past; one that almost hit someone. We've resorted to either the gardener handling the weeds or going out there with a couple barrels and hand-pulling them out ourselves.

Buy a goat.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

1185269_10201087954257520_1958005585_n.jpg?oh=5e156f4b91528979e94fd7a720f83cba&oe=554C7A64&__gda__=1432163666_fb2637b2dd5ca54622debba487be78df

That orange on the left has served us well for maybe 16 years. It looks like it shouldn't work, but somehow it still does. Cuts through most things, I've started calling her 'Old Faithful', because while we may now have a modern mulching, electronic starting powerhouse, Old Faithful can still get the job done. <3

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

I don't mow the lawn. X3 I don't have time. I don't want to. I am a woman. I clean, cook and... I don't do any of those. I'm a lazy bastard.

(Not being sexist. A LOT of women clean and cook, should just be a usual thing. Not feminist material)

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Buy a goat.

You know, my family has actually legit thought about buying a goat. The only thing stopping us is our dog would hate it.

Retired Forum Moderator

Buy a goat.

You know, my family has actually legit thought about buying a goat. The only thing stopping us is our dog would hate it.

You think so?

Get a fainting goat.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.