General Chat

I am really thinking about leaving facebook, no one really ever talks to me and most of the people I am friends with are people that I have never met in real life.

I didn't even delete my account, I just neglected it and left it to rot so it wastes as much bandwidth on FB as possible.

Well technically you cant delete it its something called deactivation. I think you have to send out a request for deletion then Facebook will either approve of deny. I will say this only thing good about it is that I do not get friends request from random bands.

Begone the fools that lead me I need not to know accept reclining spirit I need to endure You try to live a lifetime each and every day In this short time of promise you're a memory

The walking dead season 2 starts in 30 minutes. Who's watching?

Hnargh, I'm in the UK. :(

Do say whether it seems good. :D

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Hai and bai gaiz :o

Have fun at Animation College. :)

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Trying to find out how to apply textures to things in Maya >:(

While the cursor is over the object, right-click-hold, drag down to Create Material.

Open the Attributes Editor.

Choose a shading algoithm (default would be Lambert, Blinn would be your default if you like a secular highlight [Protip: Never assign an algorithm and then change it once you've started creating the texture. Create a new Shader with the different algorithm and rebuild the shader from scratch using the settings you've already assigned from the previous shader. All shaders can be seen in the Hypershade window. (In which if they are unused, you can delete them there also)]

Click on the black and white checker buttons to assign texture nodes. Use the arrow buttons near the Attributes object name box to navigate inside the Shader tree, or use the Hypershade to see a graphical representation of your shader.

(With a simple texture, it should look like: Utility Node [Texture Placement] -> File Node [Your texture] -> Shader [Named, edit this to your heart's content] -> Shader Engine [Don't really touch this])

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Yeah I got that far but all my custom textures get warped, is there any way to fix that? I've had to just use blocks of colour applied to faces but now it looks like a space ship from Spore :(

Pre-render

capture2rps.png

Post-render

capturexl.png

The thing you may be having trouble with is your UVs. (Skip this post if you know what those are and how to edit them. Read on if you would like more info or if you're not Axeldeath and are intrigued.)

UVs are a two-dimensional representation of your model. They function as a set of coordinates to tell the render engine how to interpret textures onto models. (UVs are the same as X and Y except in texel space, or XYZ in model space. Texel space is sort of like a Vector image. Or rather, a vector canvas. Anywho:~)

To open the UV Editor, go to the Menu Window>UV Texture Editor (just under Paint Brush Editor).

The object if you've never set up your UVs will probably look like a giant mess. The computer trying to interpret your texture onto that pile of junk is why the texture ends up looking like junk. Look at a tutorial for using the editing tools for the UV Editor. Also, selection of Edges, Faces and UVs are different in the UV editor and in the Model Space, so if you're editing in the UV Editor, make sure you're doing selections properly in the right window.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

One more problem, I'm attempting to make the tail on my ship wave up and down, I've given it joints and attempted to animate it that way but it just looks so unnatural. Is there any other way to create a smooth wave movement?

capture3z.png

Also I've given UV mapping a go and it looks far better.

capture4m.png

I am really thinking about leaving facebook, no one really ever talks to me and most of the people I am friends with are people that I have never met in real life.

I didn't even delete my account, I just neglected it and left it to rot so it wastes as much bandwidth on FB as possible.

Well technically you cant delete it its something called deactivation. I think you have to send out a request for deletion then Facebook will either approve of deny. I will say this only thing good about it is that I do not get friends request from random bands.

Join the club.

@Axeldeath Are you sure that's a spaceship and not something.... testicular? :lol:

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."