ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: REVENANT

rgd_revenant.jpg

Well I completely bombed the time estimate in my last post, I really don't know why I thought I was going to get it done sooner, I think it was a combination of the scope increasing and underestimating just how much content there was. This one had so much I decided to split it into two chunks, although unlike some other episode there is a natural splitting point in this one. Working on this one reminded me the most of Strife mostly due to the scale, although Strife is hands down a great game, whereas Revenant is more complicated. I'm still working at getting the Game Dungeons cut down to only the best content, in this case it may have spiraled out of control a bit. If you enjoy seeing quirks and frustrations in the game with the videos, you'll likely enjoy this one.

Also I may as well mention I ended up fixing the level load delay that plagued me through recording, but it happened so late in production, I didn't mention it in the video, so you'll get the more raw experience. Even with the "fix", the game still fights me from using it every single time, so the video is still pretty representative of the experience.

Because this video took so long to make, I'm going to scale down my original plans for Halloween. I'm still going to have a Game Dungeon, but it won't be a grandoise game with a huge scale, just because I don't think I'll have enough time. The voicework on the next Freeman's Mind is done, but there are some complications arising in other areas. I'll find a solution to it one way or another, more Freeman's Mind is coming.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

I think this game was 20 seconds away from giving Ross a heart attack out of anger. Excellent work as always, Ross!

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

best. review. ever.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Yeah, wow, the general game design in this game seems pretty grating.

Your reward for completing a maze shouldn't be another maze.

There needs to be more pacing with like villages and small dungeons and stuff.

Also, with the re-spawning enemies bit, it's not always that bad.

That is to say, in some cases it makes sense, such as in an area you are going to go through a lot, simply to keep things a bit interesting along the way. Like an open area between towns. That is, if the re-spawn only occurs when you leave the area.

But re-spawning while you are still in the area? That's pretty terrible, and can quickly lead to an un-winnable state if potion drops aren't often enough.

Plus, in the caves, it just doesn't make any sense. Where are they coming from?

All it does in these cases is completely destroy any sense of progress, and just builds frustration.

Also, I will admit, turn based RPGs really get to me too.

Like, even Fallout 1 and 2 gets too irritating for me to want to finish, no matter how good the rest of the content is.

There are some good turn-based RPGs, though.

Specifically, the Mario RPGs are all pretty great, and for one big reason.

That is, you can actually do something about incoming attacks.

In the Paper Mario games, you have to do button presses to both do maximum damage, but to also defend and even counter against attacks, doing damage to the enemy.

The same sorta thing is true in the Mario & Luigi series on the handheld consoles, but with an additional layer in that you control the actions of each brother independently using the A and B buttons, meaning that you have to watch who is getting attacked when.

Granted, times button presses aren't the BEST thing in the world, but at least you have some way to defend, and it keeps the combat interesting.

Plus, the RPG mechanics are fairly straightforward without being too boring. You only have to worry about health points and special attack points, as well as badges that give you special abilities when you wear them (think like enchanted rings and stuff).

Also, grinding is kept to a minimum. Combine that with some surprisingly funny writing, and it turns into a pretty dang fun game. Bet you never thought you would see a mafia hit in a Mario game, but it happens.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Yeah, wow, the general game design in this game seems pretty grating.

Your reward for completing a maze shouldn't be another maze.

There needs to be more pacing with like villages and small dungeons and stuff.

Also, with the re-spawning enemies bit, it's not always that bad.

That is to say, in some cases it makes sense, such as in an area you are going to go through a lot, simply to keep things a bit interesting along the way. Like an open area between towns. That is, if the re-spawn only occurs when you leave the area.

But re-spawning while you are still in the area? That's pretty terrible, and can quickly lead to an un-winnable state if potion drops aren't often enough.

Plus, in the caves, it just doesn't make any sense. Where are they coming from?

All it does in these cases is completely destroy any sense of progress, and just builds frustration.

Also, I will admit, turn based RPGs really get to me too.

Like, even Fallout 1 and 2 gets too irritating for me to want to finish, no matter how good the rest of the content is.

There are some good turn-based RPGs, though.

Specifically, the Mario RPGs are all pretty great, and for one big reason.

That is, you can actually do something about incoming attacks.

In the Paper Mario games, you have to do button presses to both do maximum damage, but to also defend and even counter against attacks, doing damage to the enemy.

The same sorta thing is true in the Mario & Luigi series on the handheld consoles, but with an additional layer in that you control the actions of each brother independently using the A and B buttons, meaning that you have to watch who is getting attacked when.

Granted, times button presses aren't the BEST thing in the world, but at least you have some way to defend, and it keeps the combat interesting.

Plus, the RPG mechanics are fairly straightforward without being too boring. You only have to worry about health points and special attack points, as well as badges that give you special abilities when you wear them (think like enchanted rings and stuff).

Also, grinding is kept to a minimum. Combine that with some surprisingly funny writing, and it turns into a pretty dang fun game. Bet you never thought you would see a mafia hit in a Mario game, but it happens.

I just don't like turn based games in general, but I will admit that the Mario Parties aren't that bad. They mix everything up and present fun challenges along the way.

I admit, a certain selfish part of me is a little bothered that the next Freeman's Mind (which was promised done this year and which initially was said to be taking priority over Game Dungeons entirely with Game Dungeons possibly not coming back until Freeman's Mind was done) was pushed back by...a game dungeon episode. I'm sure it has an audience, polls suggest the Freeman's Mind audience is larger, though. Would like to see Freeman's Mind out sooner than later.

The part of me that isn't a dick who pressures people who produce awesome content for free will congratulate Ross on finishing another video and continuing to show such enthusiasm for all his projects, though. And just to see what there is to this Game Dungeon business, I guess I'll watch this since Freeman's Mind isn't out. Who knows, maybe I'll like it enough to look forward to both with equal enthusiasm.

I liked the video. I thought he was going to start screaming and yelling about the mazes though and that make me a little worry.

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

I feel like a concern troll, but I'm genuinely worried how people will react if Ross doesn't finish Freeman's Mind on time. I personally love Game Dungeon and don't want to put any pressure on Ross to complete Freeman's Mind by his self-set deadline, but I'm worried other viewers won't be as generous, and viewers do, after all, directly translate into Ross's livelihood. This became particularly alarming when I actually did an estimate of how much FM was left in HL1; we would need a rate of FM output that's unprecedentedly high to meet that deadline.

I liked the magenta credits :D

It really is sad how old games don't run so well on modern systems. I almost feel like gathering some old PC parts and building a computer for the 1990-2000 era video games.

It took six years to get a physics degree. Don't do what I did, try engineering or social studies.

I liked the magenta credits :D

It really is sad how old games don't run so well on modern systems. I almost feel like gathering some old PC parts and building a computer for the 1990-2000 era video games.

That, or you could find a warehouse or used parts store, assemble everything, load an older OS and sell them as an overpriced "Retro" gaming box?

The voicework on the next Freeman's Mind, but there are some complications arising in other areas.

The Suspense is killing me.

EDIT: Ross, you sneaky little.....

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Ehhhh

Not sure what to say about this one other than "great video". Not really laugh-out-loud, "haha" funny, but a lot of your little comments did draw chuckles, and I enjoyed seeing such a mixed game on the show.

I admit, a certain selfish part of me is a little bothered that the next Freeman's Mind (which was promised done this year and which initially was said to be taking priority over Game Dungeons entirely with Game Dungeons possibly not coming back until Freeman's Mind was done) was pushed back by...a game dungeon episode. I'm sure it has an audience, polls suggest the Freeman's Mind audience is larger, though. Would like to see Freeman's Mind out sooner than later.

The part of me that isn't a dick who pressures people who produce awesome content for free will congratulate Ross on finishing another video and continuing to show such enthusiasm for all his projects, though. And just to see what there is to this Game Dungeon business, I guess I'll watch this since Freeman's Mind isn't out. Who knows, maybe I'll like it enough to look forward to both with equal enthusiasm.

I think Ross specifically said he didnt want to see this unless you wanted to bet actually money on him.

I think Ross specifically said he didnt want to see this unless you wanted to bet actually money on him.

Yes, I DID say that.

The only reason I'm scared Ross might wind up in a bind is because I'm worried he's underestimating how much of the game's left. There're four whole chapters after Gordon teleports to Xen; the first one's strangely short, and the second and fourth are just boss battles, but the third one's pretty long.
I'm honestly kinda worried about Ross and Freeman's Mind. I think he might have seriously underestimated how many episodes are left - and I'd hate to see him start skipping areas, or even rushing them, to make his deadline.
More Game Dungeons? I love RGD, but you do realize how much of Half-Life is left, right? If you failed to complete Half-Life by the end of the year, I would take it as an honest mistake and wouldn't hold it against you, but I'm not sure if I can say the same for the vast bulk of your viewers. I wouldn't want you to hurt your source of income; you're already running out of time. :(
That is a reasonable (on the low end of reasonable), though unfortunate, estimate for how many episodes he could produce by the end of the year, but, unfortunately, it is not at all a reasonable estimate for how many episodes are left in Half-Life 1.

This is a warning man. Either you need to bet money against me, or muzzle your comments along these lines until after FM is done. With this many comments, I want to see a $20 minimum if you plan on making more.

Unrelated to the video itself, but is there a reason that the Game Dungeon is still listed under "Other Videos" in the forums, and none of the episodes are listed under the "Movies" section?

I actually DO have money riding on this with a friend. It's only ten bucks, though.

Snip

So what you're saying is, if you don't deliver, you owe him 20 bucks?

But the reverse if you do?

Can we sacrifice him to the Greater Gordon instead?

Well, shit, man, you did say that. I forgot. :oops: Take this message as an invitation to ban me without argument; in the event that you don't ban me, I'll shut up anyway.

Well, shit, man, you did say that. I forgot. :oops: Take this message as an invitation to ban me without argument; in the event that you don't ban me, I'll shut up anyway.

Okay, so he's willing. To the Greater Gordon you go! :D

I really enjoyed this, as usual! And though I'm happy there's a confirmed Halloween Game Dungeon coming, I'm still kinda sad there won't be a 1 Year Anniversary episode on the 15th.

I don't get half of the science humor in FM, but I think that's one of the beauty parts of it.