The Duke Nukem Forever thread

I'm really thinking that the design of this game is so fifteen years ago, and that's great. 98's when games like Half-Life (where you'd go from lab to canyon to military facility to alien world) and Jedi Knight (where you'd start in some bar, run around some dingy city in the first level, end up in a sewer in the next, make your way to a really big house, end up in a ravine, go to some crazy city, end up on a space ship) or Jedi Outcast, where you'd have the same variety, or even Aliens vs Predator (you'd start off on a military base, end up running around a town where everyone's been killed, end up going to some ship and end up at the Queen's hive in the end) were very good, movie-based/sci-fi based FPSs. And it's fantastic, as most games during that time and shortly after were very "realism" and "military" based, where you'd end up with what became the current iterations of the Call of Duty franchise. Yes, feeling this was very call of dutyitised, with how the levels are structured (as in you can choose any one at any givin time and they're rather bitesized), the regenerating health (which, having played both of these on the hardest dificulty IS ACTUALLY REALLY HARD) and the two weapons (it made no sense, as I really want to have my pistol, rocket launcher and shotgun ready at any givin moment, but now i have to find one and switch and then switch back to keep carrying the pistol and shotgun :() seems to arbitrary, it's like "K, we'll design a late 90's game" "k, sweet" "oh it's 2011 and we need to make this more mondernized" "oh noes!" "halo and cod do regenerating health and two weapons" "k, sweet no one will notice!" is what must have gone through the designers heads, then throwing weapons around in spacific locations, and at that point, not just for ammo like the old games of yonder, even though that's what they'd designed it towards.

I actually have one thing I like about this game.

This trainwreck will start opening critics' eyes as to how bad Modern Day shooters have become, it's grey and uninspired and everything that is wrong with games these days. Duke Nukem Forever could maybe get us to go back to the old days of First Person Shooters where you didn't have regenerating health and could carry 10 weapons on you at once.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Uninspired? Trainwreck? We're talking about the same game now? Fair enough that you don't like the game but I doubt you could call it uninspired when it more or less uses elements from various sources, some more obvious than others. And the game is not a trainwreck when you can play it just fine and enjoy it, like I do. I get that you dislike it, and you're starting to really sound like a broken record now, even if I respect your opinion.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I just got back, pick up Duke tommorrow or the day after. A lot of people are hating on it, but I'm hopeful. My real concern is having to choose between Duke and League of Legends :mrgreen:

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Uninspired? Trainwreck? We're talking about the same game now? Fair enough that you don't like the game but I doubt you could call it uninspired when it more or less uses elements from various sources, some more obvious than others. And the game is not a trainwreck when you can play it just fine and enjoy it, like I do. I get that you dislike it, and you're starting to really sound like a broken record now, even if I respect your opinion.

Somebody needs to fix my broken balls of steel.

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Ahh so they did that to DN as well, I thought they only censored MK... BTW the 64 controls are horrible on my PS3 controller, I couldn't get past Duke Burger in 1st level because I hated the controls and there were some really weird bugs on the emulator ( enemy AI fails, seeing enemies through walls ).

Is that the same game as Duke Nukem 64?

Yes, and Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on PS1. DN64 was what you might call the censored edition though.

I find it funny it's censored on the same system that Conker's Bad Fur Day was on.

Is that the same game as Duke Nukem 64?

Yes, and Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on PS1. DN64 was what you might call the censored edition though.

I find it funny it's censored on the same system that Conker's Bad Fur Day was on.

That's irony for you. XD

What was originally an adult game became kiddy-friendly and what was originally a kiddy game became adult.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

That's irony for you. XD

What was originally an adult game became kiddy-friendly and what was originally a kiddy game became adult.

I also felt Banjo-Tooie was very mature, I mean, I love the game to death. But a lot of the themes in it are dark and it's obvious they tried to put it as many inappropriate jokes as possible into it.

I still found the game disturbingly hilarious when I was a young kid.

That game is awesome.

GameTrailers 5.4/10

IGN 5.5/10

PALGN 5/10

Joystiq 3/5

Edge 3/10

1UP.com F

GamePro 3/5

Eurogamer 3/10

Given its storied development history, you might be inclined to grab a copy of this train wreck. Avoid the temptation... This game takes an icon and turns him into a laughingstock. Except, no one's laughing.

shockingly, embarrassingly bad. Not ironic bad. Not campy bad. Not even fascinating bad. Just bad, as in unpleasant to play and watch.

Duke Nukem Forever’s world-record development time has produced an ugly, buggy shooter that veers back and forth between enjoyably average and outright boring, with occasional surges of greatness along the way

I think it's safe to say this game sucks. If you think I was just posting bad review scores, check them yourself. I can barely find ANYONE who liked this game.