Games you like that others don't

Anyone have any particular games that they enjoy but the general public, Media, or hardcore didn't?

I really like Daikatana (with the 1.3 fan patch) and I enjoyed Quake 4 alot. Another game I played alot of that others didn't seem to care for was Goblin Commander.

I'm not sure if the consensus is still like this, but a lot of people were apparently trashing Firewatch. I really enjoyed it.

Batman: Arkham Origins had a lot of people saying it sucked but I had a great time with it.

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days... What were you in your former life?

I liked Arkham Origins alot! But yeah I remember the lack of enthusiasm and the hate around the Joker multiplayer. Good game though, very cool story.

To add two more games to this list that I recently bought on GOG, Advent Rising and Psychonauts. Two very cool games that I am really enjoying. I do remember playing Psychonauts on PS2 in Iraq in 2005 but I never got to play the whole thing.

14 hours ago, Webworm said:

Batman: Arkham Origins had a lot of people saying it sucked

Not that it sucked sucked but, come on… Troy “Wonderbread” Baker as the Joker? How dare they?

13 hours ago, CodeMan85 said:

Psychonauts

Now this one is praised by pretty much errbody and they mama. If anything, it should belong to a 'most overrated games' thread – now go make one! chop chop!

I’d say Betrayal in Antara for me. It trumped Feist’s clichéd fantasy world and so-so writing from the uncriticizable Betrayal at Krondor, while also tweaking and improving the overall experience. So, yeah, you guys can go grab your tiki torches now…

Edited by Enviro-man (see edit history)

I read very VERY outdated news from April of 2005 when Psychonauts completely flopped on release. Looking deeper, the game has a sequel coming out soon...LOL my bad. BUT I do like the game alot. Advent Rising was another massive flop from 2005 but it is quite a good game and Majesco is going to start updating the game on a regular basis.

21 minutes ago, CodeMan85 said:

Advent Rising was another massive flop from 2005 but it is quite a good game

I've never played it but I remember it being aggressively promoted everywhere with Orson Scott Card’s name plastered all over, and that it was supposed to be the second coming.

Ha! Looking at the screens, is there a product which best represents the typical aesthetics during the fat XBOX era than this game?

342627625.jpg.973d576c9614f9602e932a7bb1a3785a.jpg

He's doing it wrong; hold the goddam guns sideways for peak mid-2000s, man!

I'm firmly in the camp of Dark Souls 2 being one of, if not the best Dark Souls game as opposed to the majority of Souls fans seeming to think something along the lines of "it's a good game, just not a good Dark Souls game" or just outright saying it's a bad game. The life gem mechanic made exploration more rewarding and, beyond that, feasible for new players. There are a lot of filler bosses but the great ones REALLY shine, it's much less linear than other souls games, PvP has a lot more variety and soul memory isn't my favorite mechanic but it DOES make twinking less of an issue, casting is at its best in DS2, Bonfire Ascetic is one of the best mechanics in the series, certain mechanics are much better communicated than they are in 1 and 3, and of course you can't talk about DS2's strengths without mentioning how amazing the expansions are. Probably one of my favorite games of all time.

I also like Fallout 4 just because of the sheer amount of customizability it has in terms of modding. There really is nothing else like it.

the name's riley

The Witcher 1 and 3

Got to the first boss at the end of the training encounter and I'm sure the game explained something to me that I didn't get, but I could figure out what it wanted me to do and I gave up.

I got to the Dwarf town and couldn't figure out how to progress. I spent a good amount of time wandering around aimlessly, but the objective markers weren't helping and I gave up. It didn't matter though, because I think the gameplay is boring and unfun. Having to prepare (buff) ahead of hunting makes sense in the universe, but I think it's boring. There's a weight limit and and endless supply of rocks you pick up I just hate the whole thing. It was also too hard on "normal" difficulty for some reason. I enjoy the writing, characters, and world of Witcher, but I just hate playing them.

2 hours ago, Wwen said:

The Witcher 1 and 3

People love Witcher series though.

As for me, I can't think of many. There are many unpopular games that I like, but it's not like people dislike them – just don't know or aren't interested. Like Ace Attorney series.

On the other hand I could name games I don't like that others do, which makes me kind of sad, because it's much easier to hate on things than to defend them.

Ooooh, I got it backwards.... Well, No Man's Sky. I liked it when it came out, while the Internet was going ape-shit over not getting what they wanted (what they wanted was impossible). People thought it was going to be the second coming of game-jesus and they'd never want another game. Meanwhile, all the stuff I read or heard from developers made it pretty clear to me what it was going to be. It had great atmosphere and music. Sometimes even spooky. It really scratched an exploration itch. They've made some updates to it and people have warmed up to it again, but I really enjoyed it from day one. But I also love exploration in Elite Dangerous, so I'm weird and enjoy doing basically nothing for hours. Like fishing, but with space rocks.

22 hours ago, Annie said:

I also like Fallout 4 just because of the sheer amount of customizability it has in terms of modding. There really is nothing else like it.

God same. I spent hours tinkering with guns and power armor.

Yeah, the customization in Fallout 4 is really amazing. I can't wait to see what they'll do with TES VI, but at the same time, I'm not liking the direction Bethesda is heading, and I fear for their future games.

As for games that I like, and others don't, well, I really do enjoy Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Although, I wouldn't say people hate it. At best, it's a mixed bag.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

On 7/27/2019 at 10:23 PM, CodeMan85 said:

I liked Arkham Origins alot! But yeah I remember the lack of enthusiasm and the hate around the Joker multiplayer. Good game though, very cool story.

I actually liked the Arkham Origins multiplayer mode, even though it was pretty unbalanced and broken in spots. The best feelings I got from it were ripping a victory from the Elite thugs as Batman or Robin. Origins is my most-played Arkham game, almost entirely because of the multiplayer. I did spend a fair bit of time trying to complete the Dark Knight system, which I'd like to say that I *did* eventually get it done. The reward was a little lame, but hey, at least I unlocked a bunch of stuff in the process.

I think Origins had one of the best portrayals of Bane I've seen in recent times. Although I haven't read many comics that include Bane (I've read Knightfall of course), it seems his intelligence has significantly been toned down. I appreciated that Origins had a good version of Bane, and comparing him to the Rocksteady version is like night and day. I've heard that Red Hood killed him in some Arkham tie-in comics, which I'd say is really unfortunate since Arkham Knight hinted that he was recovering from TN-1 and Titan.

Origins isn't perfect - in fact there are a few things about it that I'm not happy about - but it got unfairly hammered in my opinion.

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days... What were you in your former life?

Far Cry 2? Maybe? Honestly everyone who plays it seemingly loves it and quickly notes the flaws and potential it had.

We barely have any games set in Africa and Far Cry was still just 'fancy nice shooter game' then but they were scratching the surface of a harder story. No side is right (though no side is fleshed out), people suffer, and everyone eventually basically goes 'We're all just doing this for cash. Fuck it all.' The setting was very engrossing and that made up for a lot of the pitfalls - the weird Malaria thing, the non-existent plot and factions, the samey gameplay.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:58 AM, Lord Of Boxes said:

God same. I spent hours tinkering with guns and power armor.

It's a shame the base game doesn't have much to play with though. When you load it with mods to make it more similar to 3 or New Vegas its strengths really begin to shine, honestly makes Fallout 4 one of the most fun games in the series IMO.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:33 PM, Psychotic Ninja said:

Yeah, the customization in Fallout 4 is really amazing. I can't wait to see what they'll do with TES VI, but at the same time, I'm not liking the direction Bethesda is heading, and I fear for their future games.

I have some faith in Bethesda to not fuck up so constantly and consistently. If TES VI at least has mod support and as active a modding community as Skyrim's then it'll be good. I'm REALLY worried there won't be another mainline Fallout game though, at least not for a while.

the name's riley

I played some Assasins Creed: Oddysey recently and despite me liking it, I realize there is so much wrong with this game.

The combat is rarely exciting or difficult, the stealth mechanics are basic and the microtransactions paired with the RPG mechanics are just insulting.

But it's the prettiest game I've ever played and just walking around observing the scenery got me to play it for 30 hours.

It just goes from "that was kinda annoying" to "Wow, this looks sooo sick".

The story is also mildly interesting and some sidequests got a chuckle out of me trough the silly characters.