FREEMAN'S MIND 2: EPISODE 14

Freeman's Mind 2!  This took WAY too long, but a whole lot happened in the meantime to cause that.  I wasn't joking in the past when I said working on this affects where I can live due to the shouting, but everything seems to be back in place.  I've also changed the thumbnail style, something I've been meaning to do for a year or two to be honest.  I plan to retroactively change the others later on, but who knows when I'll get to that.

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

@Ross Scott I'm curious what your procedure is for the thumbnails. Is it something that you could semi-outsource, by sharing a GIMP/Photoshop template + time codes, or else take suggestions for time codes for screen shots?

i'll watch in a bit, but wouldn't the thumbnail look cleaner without that second empty head? i mean you already put "freeman's mind 2" in there anyway

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i'll watch in a bit, but wouldn't the thumbnail look cleaner without that second empty head? i mean you already put "freeman's mind 2" in there anyway

But it's "Freeman ^ Freeman", i.e. "Freeman to the power of Freeman", a play on the "Half-Life ^ 2". It would be confusing to put a "2" in the superscript Freeman head… [EDIT: not that that's what you were suggesting -- this occurred to me as an explicit alternative to your suggestion.] Or maybe it'd be fine.

Edited by findingfrenzy (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

i would do something like this personally instead, but maybe it looks too empty (center the head, shift it a bit more on the top left, tilt the angle more tighly to remove the white)

i don't know, but the "episode 14" and "14" would be repeated twice but maybe that's okay, but i like to keep things simple

KZ2Sorq.png

also the logo is bugging the shit out of me, this is how i would aling it

57KdXqk.png

Edited by RaTcHeT302 (see edit history)

The head is to distinguish more visually between FM1 and FM2, but maybe I should get rid of the episode text also, I'll see, I can always tweak it later.

I love you Ross. I'd say thanks for all the free content but I pay you, so thanks for providing so much for the cost of a sandwich per month.

Posted (edited)

if i had to polish that design this is what i would go for, now i'm trying to think of a way to make hl1 and hl2 stand out

i'm not a fan of the all caps text still, something still bugs me about it, i kinda want it to breathe more

freeman.thumb.png.871964bf8542809f2893d4883eaca5d9.png

maybe this font is too thin, maybe if i make it bolder like the border it might look fancier?

freeman.thumb.png.9a868ee761eed1d55f96ccbf30068c42.png

Spooky. I hope Ross isn't letting us dictate his schedule by updating the thumbnails right now… 'course you can do what you want, Ross.

Screenshot from 2020-10-08 10-25-43.jpg

Posted (edited)

oh i didn't expect him to actually change it, anyway i tried to make it look a bit fancier, even if it's not much

freeman.thumb.png.9e1141175f0d5ae3289637595c2456ad.png

here's what it would look like as a thumbnail

PnjW28B.png

i'm a lazy bastard so here's my messy ass psd file, sorry i know that it's not organized but i was experimenting

freeman.7z

i don't expect anyone to look at it but, i dunno, if someone wants it for some reason

the text still bugs me though, i should make that rectangle smaller or something, or i should space the text out more

morgan.thumb.png.b9bd4fc1e9895afcf9f7024f8d321753.png

morgan freeman.7z

idk remove the border for a lazy hl1 version?

science.thumb.png.942c07562cc5c020b5038a6a76247645.png

thumbnail test

5eXK0Qf.png

mh it looks kinda bad? a bit bland? i dunno

Is it me or every episode Freeman is becoming more like Rick from Rick and Morty? Crazy ass super inteligent scientist that has no regard for life  

Posted (edited)

i had an idea to make the thumbnails stand out

fancy style

1056717971_idea1.thumb.png.84d9ca12f63e287c76dcbadee2023d24.png

1143917888_idea2.thumb.png.a12a48edab12f2876d621c1cd5c4b2fa.png

white bg fix, less fancy

full.thumb.png.1b945863a2ebed55c04660d516df5804.png

thumbnail test

1378948067_test1.png.1cf5562c4b44d9659c4c70d5c99b9003.png

2142724901_test2.png.a79ab7d5986f20595bfbc0d7544609d9.png

Posted (edited)

original for comparison

Te3s3xb.png

on a youtube video preview thingy

BOvMKv0.png

lHTGxmq.png

@Ross Scott i dunno, hopefully this gives you an idea or something, it's the laziest solution i could come up with

@Ross Scott The jerky and/or too fast player movement has always been a bit distracting and disorienting to me. Have you ever thought about using a gamepad/joystick for player movement instead of the keyboard? An analog input would vastly improve smoothness and also allow for much greater control of player speed to fit any particular situation.

Mouse aiming is also a bit too jerky for me, but I'm not sure there is much you can do to smooth that out and I know this is kind of the only way you can emit any kind of body language for Gordon.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

@Ross Scott The jerky and/or too fast player movement has always been a bit distracting and disorienting to me. Have you ever thought about using a gamepad/joystick for player movement instead of the keyboard? An analog input would vastly improve smoothness and also allow for much greater control of player speed to fit any particular situation.

Mouse aiming is also a bit too jerky for me, but I'm not sure there is much you can do to smooth that out and I know this is kind of the only way you can emit any kind of body language for Gordon.

man i beat half life 2 on a ps3 with a controller and it was the worst thing on the planet, so i don't see how that would help at all

if anything the aiming in half life 2 sucks balls on a controller, it's the most imprecise piece of shit and you have to jitter your aim like a drunken bastard to get your gun to point at anything, half the time i didn't even aim, i would walk to aim instead, it was more consistent than having to use the right stick

it would just look really awful and just, plain bad

Posted (edited)

@RaTcHeT302 I'm only talking about using a gamepad/joystick for player movement (left-hand). You would still be using the mouse to aim (right-hand). This also has nothing to do with the how the game actually plays, just how the motion actually looks in the finished recording because that's all that matters. And analog control is just superior over digital in this case.

Edited by Isaiah (see edit history)