ROSS'S GAME DUNGEON: CLANS

First Halloween Game Dungeon!  This is sort of a warm up to a bigger one coming soon!  This may have more minor editing errors in it than perhaps any other episode, but I've been trying to break my perfectionist tendencies anyway so I have more time to eventually throw at the movie.  Additionally, due to the way this video was made, fixing them would have delayed its release a full day and I have to push forward with the next one into Halloween!

More Halloween coming!

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

"Hey, remember the last time I said So close, no matter how far. It couldn't be much more from the heart Forever trusting who we are. And nothing else matters"
I certainly do

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

This game reminds me more of The Immortal rather than Diablo. Pseudo RPG mechanics? Check; Isometric? Check! Extremely brutal puzzles, enemies, and hazards? Check check check! Biggest difference is that I feel The Immortal was even more brutal than this game.

Edit: I posted earlier but I realized I was wrong

I'm hard pressed to remember a rpg with similar mechanics (i.e. go into a room and see if it was worth it then reload if it wasn't while keeping a map) but there was plenty of survival horror and adventure games that did that. Alone in the Dark and the caves in Kyrandia come to mind. 

Halloween is the best holiday. This is one of those games that gives me mixed feelings about putting adventure game mechanics in other genres. On the one hand I think it could add some much needed variation to a lot of genres like RPG's and FPS's, but on the other hand it's usually bullshit like this.

This game in summary: "Problems problems problems problems problems problems problems problems..."

Also, I recognized the bold font they used for the titles of the levels (on the screens where they give introduce and describe them) and in the end credits. It's the same one that's used for like every virtual online collectable card game ever, isn't it?

I guess the best summary for this game would be: "Looks like Diablo, but it ain't Diablo at all."

Also, that was one of the best birthday presents I could ever get, so thank you, Ross.

Edited by RocketDude (see edit history)

38:53

For some reason this EPIC ending reminded me of the 1988 "Ghostbusters" game for Famicom.

It didn't show the ending and credits due to programming bugs (mainly the game trying to read the ending text from the wrong CHR-ROM page). Instead, beating the game produces a blank screen that lasts for about a minute, eventually followed by the text "りり" (riri) scrolling into the screen.

ghostbusters.thumb.png.ec5f127c7cefdf10442dee2233f09715.png

The game is also obtuse as fuck, so this ending is rather fitting and completes the whole experience. (I remember 10-year-old me and my friends were thinking that those hieroglyphs look like tits).

Obviously "Clans" has a decent outro cinematic, but while watching Ross's video I didn't rule out the possibility that when you beat the game you actually do get nothing but a half-of-a-second picture accompanied by a ba-dum-tss.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

14 hours ago, xawesomecorex said:

Edit: I posted earlier but I realized I was wrong

I'm hard pressed to remember a rpg with similar mechanics (i.e. go into a room and see if it was worth it then reload if it wasn't while keeping a map) but there was plenty of survival horror and adventure games that did that. Alone in the Dark and the caves in Kyrandia come to mind. 

the original bard's tale is like that

Also I think it was Ross who mentioned in one of his early videos that the thing with the chest requiring 3 clicks and stuff like that was the publisher's attempt at getting players to phone in to the helpline and drop cash on hint books

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

10 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

what's wrong with patience?

Nothing. Unless it ends up driving you to suffer through hours of horribly punitive gameplay, that was never really worth it in the first place.

38 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i dunno, sometimes, i just really want to like a game, even if the game doesn't like me back

Careful, that's how restraining orders get filed.

3 hours ago, ScumCoder said:

40:50

I knew that I've heard that music before somewhere :)

clans.thumb.png.83f95df37f30afe5d0985de2b3293e4f.png

EHCBmYwXYAITIUi.png

Before the dark days.. before I decided to stop being a lurker

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"