FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 33

That guy you're quoting was replying to this:

Also, but this might have been answered before, sorry in that case: why does ross use hl source? Normal HL is way gorier (and funnier for it).

He knows it's in Source.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I see what you are talking about, that sounds like a possibility. Killing scientists and blowing up everything he sees!

hehe I know, right?

You may be the only one. Frankly, that would send Gordon careening over the Moral Event Horizon. He's a jerkass protagonist, yeah, but he's not a total psychopath. He doesn't kill people for fun, not even the soldiers. He's gone out of his way to avoid soldiers before, and has mentioned that killing them is one of those things that he'd put off if he had any other option.

And it would make him unlikable for a lot of people. Or it would for me, at least. At the moment, Gordon just wants to survive. He's more than a bit crazy, and he's not a "hero" in any sense of the word beyond the fact that he's the protagonist, but he's not deliberately going out to kill people, either.

Let's put it this way: The military is actively trying to kill him, but the scientists and security guards are just innocent bystanders. Shooting the soldiers who are already shooting at him, or who are obviously plotting to kill him the second he shows his face, is self-defence. Slaughtering the scientists and security guards who mean him no harm, and who want to help him (regardless of how crappy they are at it), would be flat-out murder.

I get that he's threatened people before, but he's never gone through with it, and he's usually gone through hell right before his freak-outs. I'd be more than a bit pissed off, too, and probably willing to yell at people, threaten them and wave a gun at them -- especially if they were the reason I'd just gone through an extra obstacle course of death. I mean, if I'm getting assaulted by aliens who zap me, shoot me with bile, and try to attach themselves to my face, and suddenly the military shows up and also starts trying to kill me, I wouldn't be at my most rational or patient either.

Gordon just wants to get the hell out of Black Mesa and go home. Or to India. Whichever. He doesn't seem particularly interested in or approving of the wholesale slaughter of unarmed civilians.

You have really given it a thought haha. Sounds like some kind of modern-day Jesus with a crowbar! (and could we not use someone like that in times like these? :D)

But seriously though, for the story it wouldn't be right indeed, to just eradicate everybody. The Gordon in this series seems to be a funny smartass, but quite a normal human being nonetheless. Put into a nasty situation (to say the least) and his only way to get out of it is his sharp humor and ofcourse his weapons.

"He doesn't kill people for fun" When my mate and I played it, we used to 'collect' the scientists in a staircase, save the game, and kill them in all possible ways. (This was ofcourse after we had finished the game, so we new what scientists we could use etc.) Hearing the wide variety of sounds they could make, the makers must have had some fun with them as well. I'm glad you have the opportunity to choose whether you are merciful, or just go through the game killing everything, kind of disregarding the story.

It may come to that. I mean in the newest episode, he just now realized they put tracking devices on his suit, which is how everyone is finding him, and the scientist said that everyone is in on it. Freeman then said that he was going to let that scientist live because he told him. As for others...we'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, that could be cool indeed! It would certainly make the series a bit darker. Unless a scientist would die from running through a tripmine Gordon had planted for a soldier or something. We'll just have to wait and see :)

Mystery episode done! Ross is doing an excellent work!

Too bad machinima can't do the same...