Last Game You Played

Grimdawn:

It's Titan Quest except more awesome. Grimdawn is visually stunning. I haven't seen this much attention to detail with the art direction since Planescape Torment. There's so many glorious colors and the colorless areas contrast amazingly well with the areas full of color which I find to be rather refreshing. Grimdawn proves that you don't have to go with some gaudy, cartoonish art style to be visually appealing.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I went on a bit of Playstation Store binge recently and I've dipped my toes into my purchases earlier today.

• Organ Trail: Had a lot of fun with this one and unknowingly lost several hours arsing about in it :P In the campaign mode I brought several of you along as company - namely BTG, Jeb, Heliocentrical and Binky The Rabbit. I'm finding the aiming difficult to get used to, you have to pull the analog stick away from the direction you want to fire at. But it didn't detract too much from the overall experience. To sum up our horrible fates, Binky was stabbed almost immediately after we set off but managed to survived with minimal health. After some lucky encounters we eventually arrived at a heavily irradiated part of the USA (Dakota I think) and Helio somehow managed to get bitten by a zombie; we were on the road at the time! What the hell Helio?! And because I ran out of medkits I had to put him out of his misery. About two minutes after this the rest of you became heavily irradiated and somehow all became incapacitated at the same time. Naturally I had to shoot the rest of you as you slept. Of course about two minutes after I finally emerged from the irradiated area, I caught measles and died. 10/10, this entire game.
  • Oxenfree: I'm not sure exactly how far I got into this but from what I've seen so far, I'm extremely impressed! It's looks and plays like nothing else I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. It's rather linear in a way many story-driven indie games tend towards, and I suppose it remains it remains to be seen just how much the dialogue and narrative options will affect the outcome - especially after multiple playthroughs. It has however made me extremely intrigued and I actually care about what happens to the cast, even with some attendant of "personal drama" that might put some gamers off.
  • Lumo: Only played this for about twenty minutes or so, maybe it's too early to be reviewing it. It seemed like a perfectly good bit of cutesy isometric puzzling to me, and there appears to a procedurally-generated "endless" mode too, so I should be satisfied with this for a while yet.
  • Forbidden Siren: I recall playing this on the PS2 and seeing it for sale on the store tickled by survival horror nostalgia bone. I'd forgotten just how crushingly difficult this game was, and how eerie the game's core psychic "sightjacking" mechanics were. I also forgot (or should that be repressed) how absolutely horrible and distressing the Shibata enemies could be up close and personal. I've missed this kind of "thrown in at the deep end" style third-person horror game that isn't going to explain it's weird-ass scary-as-balls self to you or anyone else.

Just a question aimed at anyone in general, but especially to JRPG fans - I know you're out there! ;p I'm in the market for a substantial RPG game (the mood is upon me, after a slew of fairly casual games and the revelation that I missed harder titles like the aforementioned Forbidden Siren) and I was wondering if the Atelier series was any good as I've heard a decent amount of praise for it. The latest in the franchise titled Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book came out in June and I'm considering a purchase. Would any of you recommend that I go right ahead or instead advise against it? Take your time to respond I'm in no rush.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

The Last of Us

What I learned: Ellie and Tess can teleport

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Black Mesa

58CD0E5C7FB32D0823B06E4AB0C74D6F1F359C64

protip: there's an edit button

you don't have to make 2 posts within 3 hours of each other

and source engine's broken physics is nothing new

the name's riley

Black Mesa

Protip: Mods don't like backseat modding

:|

OT: WoW. I'm doing my least favorite pass-time of grinding out an achievement. I actually get something for getting this achievement which is the only reason why you even see my reputation grinding these enemies. Need 10000 more rep, each enemy gives 25, the once every 10 minutes boss gives 500. Wouldn't bee so bad if everything needed for the reputation was elite, meaning that while i can tank through their damage on my character, every fight takes like 2 minutes.

Whoever had the brilliant idea to tie regional flying to a grinding achievement is an asshole. At least I only need to do this once since it's an all-character reward.

Retired Forum Moderator

A brilliant asshole. Let me guess, the boss is tough as fuck, requires the best of the best, one minor screw up means that attempt is ruined and he takes hours to beat, right?

OT: Arkham Knight 2nd playthrough, unless you count dipping my toes in NG+ to see what it's like.

Black Mesa

Protip: Mods don't like backseat modding

Protip: Most people don't like it when you speak on behalf of them

Protip: It's not backseat moderating, it's common sense

Protip: 2 posts within 3 hours of each other is fucking stupid

the name's riley

Can we please stay on-topic rather than continuously bickering at each other over nothing?

OT: Grim Dawn

Started my second character. A Demolitionist/Elementalist and he's so much fun to play. The Grenado ability has got some nice bite to it.

EVE Online, the corp I was a part of got their carrier awoxed by our own alliance so I was told to bail back into high security space before shit hit the fan. On the way back I got smart bombed at a gate camp, saved me the trip at least.

Heartstone. Bit of a boring tavern brawl to be honest.

Yeah I found Hearthstone to be boring as well. There aren't that many strategies outside of smashing your cards against your opponent's cards and variations of that. Hearthstone isn't very entertaining to watch either.

There's a lot more strategy and variation in Hearthstone the deeper you get into it but it takes a bit too long to reach that point imo.

OT: Doom.

Retired Forum Moderator

There's a lot more strategy and variation in Hearthstone the deeper you get into it but it takes a bit too long to reach that point imo.

If the vast majority is unable to access more strategy and variation then those aspects practically aren't there. I'm not saying that's bad thing but there's a barrier for entry when it comes to high level play and most people won't put in the effort to see the game for what it truly is. For instance I'm a high level Unreal Tournament player. I know all the little intricacies when it comes to Unreal and I know which weapons to use at what time purely from memory. Now if I sit someone down who's never played Unreal Tournament before he's not going to see these aspects, get slaughtered, ultimately shrug off the game and probably not going to pick Unreal Tournament up ever again.

OT:Grim Dawn