Freeman's Amnesia

While it's safe to say the idea of Freeman getting amnesia is clever and makes for an intersting plot device, I hope he recalls everything that happened soon, just because I think it caused him to be a little to mellow in this episode. What are your thoughts about Gordon forgetting everytihng that happened to him in the past 24 - 36 hours?

I can't stand amnesia episodes in TV shows, Ross may do a better job, but the episode concept is my least favorite by far. No matter what Freeman's Mind will be good, but I'll be glad when it's over. But hey, to each their own.

Yeah, I'm gonna miss his full on insanity for awhile until he remembers again but the Amnesia was a clever idea. I think it's because I'm used to his crazy jokes and humour whilst he is popping bullets into soldiers and aliens, it never gets old.

I hope he regains some memory soon, though IMO it would be interesting if this caused him to make different choices, i.e. shooting explosive boxes and the like..

I think amnesia works. It's not the most original but I suspect it fits what Ross wants to do well enough. Like everyone's said, he's going to have to re-experience things all over again. new reactions, new witty remarks, some deja vu. It's a pretty good way to change things up so it doesn't get stale. I wonder if he's going to comment on his ear piercing. :lol:

well, the amnesia thing is intended in the game as well sort of, although not having freeman forget everything. However, in the game, you have to start all over again, by starting from scratch, with little health and no power armor and no guns, except the crowbar for a while. It's not a bad idea, but somehow it wasn't very well played out by ross. I mean, if someone wakes up in a place and he doesn't know how he got there and then aliens start trying to kill him, well I expected him to be more freaked out. Like the trash compactor sequence, he's very mellow and starts climbing out immediately, I'd expect him to panic there. No matter how hangover u r, when u r gonna die, adrenaline pumps in ur blood and makes u panic. Also, he doesn't notice the blood on his suit, and doesn't startle when he sees the dead guy. In the first episodes when he finds the first dead bodies he's quite suprised, disgusted, etc, and admitedly if he forgot everything he should relive the same suprise etc now with the new dead body.

Anyway, I'm not a Ross Scott, so I might be all bullshit talking :P

well, the amnesia thing is intended in the game as well sort of, although not having freeman forget everything.

wut.

no power armor

He does wake up with his armor on, unless if you're talking about it not being charged.

I expected him to be more freaked out. Like the trash compactor sequence, he's very mellow and starts climbing out immediately, I'd expect him to panic there.

Freeman mentioned waking up in a trash compactor another time so it probably doesn't affect him as much.

and doesn't startle when he sees the dead guy.

He does seem startled when he saw the body, but that was because he was afraid of being blamed for it, or being labeled as a suspect during the investigation.

I'm sorry if I seem like a jerk for posting this but it seems like you missed some parts of the episode.

Back on topic, I think the amnesia thing makes sense, if I was knocked unconscious with several strikes to the head with the butt of a gun, I would probably have trouble remembering things as well.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

It'll be back to the basics for him, albeit a little faster. I think Ross said he'll probably remember it next episode, but don't quote me on that.

Also, this is way off-topic but to all the people saying that Freeman doesn't act scared or surprised when he sees dead bodies, do you know how many times Freeman has probably seen a dead body in his lifetime? From what he's said during the series, I wouldn't put it past him that he met some angry drug dealer who killed a bunch of people in front of him before in the past.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

I think Ross said he'll probably remember it next episode, but don't quote me on that.

Just to be a smart-ass.

Also, about the amnesia, not only was Freeman bludgeoned, but who knows what they did while he was unconscious. (I'm talking like tranquilizers, forget-what-you-saw type drugs, or MIB style flashy-things. Not in the kinky way. I know how you internet people are...)

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

climbing out immediately, I'd expect him to panic there.

Freeman mentioned waking up in a trash compactor another time so it probably doesn't affect him as much.

actually he says "again", this means he may have done it quite a few times

Well a friend of mine had amnesia derived from a servere head trauma (he fell from a palm) and had that whole day forgotten for (almost exatly) a year, and some day he woke up in the moring and remembered the whole day as if it was yesterday, so...

I have to say this one caught me completely off guard. I think it's a very interesting plot twist, but agree whoever with Lord Ornlu that the thrashed compactor sequence lacked a bit of panic... amnesia or no amnesia and no matter how used to wake up in a trash compactor, you have to freak out a little at least when seeing the walls closing in on you.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

I didn't mind until Episode 36, merely because he tries to recounts what happens, what would happen if the experiment succeeded or failed, and it caught me odd that he didn't even joke or quip at how one of the men on the team was so paranoid about a Resonance Cascade, which it is inferred that Freeman knows what it is.

It caught me odd that he didn't even joke or quip at how one of the men on the team was so paranoid about a Resonance Cascade, which it is inferred that Freeman knows what it is.

I agree that it would have been pretty funny for him to say something about how was scientist had been really worried about a Resonate's Cascade and that he was paranoid to think that something so absurd could happen but Ross would probably see that as breaking the fourth wall or something.

Though I personally think the amnesia is already starting to get old, having been in the past two episodes. I don't really like how slow and gradual Freeman is remembering what happened. Usually when people get amnesia something they do or see will remind them of what they forgot and trigger an instant recall of all of it. That would be better just because it could give Freeman a chance to react more strongly to something which I haven't really seen in the past two episodes.

It caught me odd that he didn't even joke or quip at how one of the men on the team was so paranoid about a Resonance Cascade, which it is inferred that Freeman knows what it is.

I agree that it would have been pretty funny for him to say something about how was scientist had been really worried about a Resonate's Cascade and that he was paranoid to think that something so absurd could happen but Ross would probably see that as breaking the fourth wall or something.

Though I personally think the amnesia is already starting to get old, having been in the past two episodes. I don't really like how slow and gradual Freeman is remembering what happened. Usually when people get amnesia something they do or see will remind them of what they forgot and trigger an instant recall of all of it. That would be better just because it could give Freeman a chance to react more strongly to something which I haven't really seen in the past two episodes.

Amnesia doesn't work the way that it appears to in movies and television shows. You don't remember everything at once. Oftentimes you never remember at all, or you do so in pieces, slowly and over time, just how Freeman is.

Often, also, you lose the ability to make new memories as well, meaning you have continuing amnesia.

Freeman is lucky he's remembering at all.

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

I find the idea of his amnesia quite cool, but it's very sad because I liked it when he called headcrabs facehuggers.

What would be funny would be if he nearly gets eaten by a barnacle then he goes,

"OMG I REMEMBER NOW! We failed our science experiment which caused a resonance cascade or whatever which caused things like facehuggers to come poppin' outta nowhere then that's when I realised how selfish and stuff my colleagues were, then I walked around this hopeless dungeon for hours trying to find somewhere where there was an EMERGENCY EXIT or NO LOCKED EXIT DOORS WITHOUT BULLETPROOF GLASS, but unfortunately no. Afterwards I found some turret guns WHICH SHOT EVERY SINGLE LIVING THING THEY SAW. Then the rescue team came and started shooting everyone including themselves, so I had to kill them before they cause anymore trouble. *breathes in* THEN I found the surface and it was already sunset and everyone was still shooting me and BOMBING ME and so I had to go back down, then I crawled around in the vents until FINALLY I found some Genie with a shotgun telling me stuff I didn't need to know, and then I got to a train which actually worked that had radioactive green crap all over at the end of the trip..." etc. etc.

That would take alot of minutes and time rephrasing his bad day.

But that's not my job to do that XD. :lol:

Amnesia makes perfect sense to me and it's not total amnesia. He'll piece it together enough to make it exciting when the exciting bits of the game return. I have faith in you Ross!

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

"Does my beard intimidate you?"