This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.
I understand.
It is currently Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:59 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Refining Critique
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:58 pm 

I've taken sometime to rethink my critique when it comes to video games as I feel it has some flaws.

Firstly I don't really have specific opinions when it comes to video games. some of the opinions I've given were really hamfisted and I felt like I was trying to make a point across but didn't truly know what that point was.

In terms of objectivity I think that it's best that I give myself a stated goal when it comes to these critiques. My previous critiques were pretty aimless outside of saying what I don't like and there's not a whole lot of conversation that can come from that. I think that goal for me is to help this medium progress in terms of it's design and mechanics. So that would I mean I would encourage new ideas, applaud games for taking risks. For some critics being for the consumer is their goal but I think being for the medium suits mine.

Lastly I don't think that any mechanics or game design are inherently bad and saying so was a complete misnomer. Poorly thought out implementation is what's bad. I've encountered so many instances on so many occasions that proved my opinion to be just downright wrong. Just because bad or unimaginative implementation may be the norm for some mechanics and games should by no means speak for all of them. IMO this point especially is where I failed the most with my critiques because I fell for only letting the majority speak for all mechanics and game design which wasn't at all the case and that giant misnomer plagues all of my previous critiques. From a logical perspective is a horrifically misleading way of thinking.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]