Magnusson's casserole: Freeman's Mind and HL2: Episode 2

Sign in to follow this  

In Episode 2, just after Gordon has tested the Magnusson Device, Magnusson tells him that he might forgive his "microwave casserole" debacle at Black Mesa if he succeeds in protecting the rocket from the Striders. This was supposed to be a reference to the beginning of Half-Life, when the player can turn on a microwave and explode the meal inside. Freeman's Mind states that it was instead a bowl of noodles on the microwave, and that the "microwave casserole" incident was something completely unrelated. That would make the "microwave casserole" incident a "Noodle Incident." Confusing yet?

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

I wondered the same thing myself when I first played Episode 2. (FM actually introduced me to HL) My best guess is that he'll treat it as a reference to a different incident that happened before the beginning of FM.

I think we'll all be dead before Ross gets to Episode 2. Not to be too pessimistic or anything, but like Dr.Freeman said, "Optimists are retards."

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I doubt that we'll get to Half-Life 2, to be honest. And I'm not sure it should continue into HL2. Ross might burn out before the end of HL2 and we don't want that. :)
I don't see how he could "burn out" as long as he can keep the series interesting, which is really the game's job.

"Am I a hero? Eh, I don't know... I don't think it's heroic if the only person you're saving is yourself."

- Gordon Freeman

There's a large difference between how Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are laid out. Half-Life 1, the levels and sections are short and quick to walk through, and the situations are absurd as the games creators didn't give much thought to several of the obstacles. Yeah, these obstacles are challenging to pass through for a video game, but what practical use does several of them have, such as the giant box smashing room, or the giant nut-cracker room.

Half-Life 2 has much bigger, and longer levels, it'll take forever for this incarnation of Gordon Freeman to walk from location to location. Valve also gave more thought into the creation of the obstacles in this game too. It's harder to laugh at the silliness.

Well, I'm sure someone creative could manage, but with so many jokes being burned in Freeman's Mind, would there be any left for a FM2?

We are not getting into another discussion about whether or not FM2 will appear. There are already threads for that and Ross has already answered everyone.

A discussion regarding the contents of a bowl within a Microwave...

Sometimes I question the sanity of the people on this forum.

Wow! TVTropes and an Incredibly Lame Pun!

\m/ (^_^) \m/

Rock on.

O/

/|

/ \ This is Bob. Copy and paste Bob and soon he will take over internetz!

There's a large difference between how Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are laid out. Half-Life 1, the levels and sections are short and quick to walk through, and the situations are absurd as the games creators didn't give much thought to several of the obstacles. Yeah, these obstacles are challenging to pass through for a video game, but what practical use does several of them have, such as the giant box smashing room, or the giant nut-cracker room.

Half-Life 2 has much bigger, and longer levels, it'll take forever for this incarnation of Gordon Freeman to walk from location to location. Valve also gave more thought into the creation of the obstacles in this game too. It's harder to laugh at the silliness.

Well, I'm sure someone creative could manage, but with so many jokes being burned in Freeman's Mind, would there be any left for a FM2?

And that's why we have the Redux SMOD.

"I tell you one thing: I've been to a parallel universe, I've seen time running backwards, I've played pool with planets, and I've given birth to twins, but I never thought in my entire life I'd taste an edible Pot Noodle."

Acutally, according to an interview with Caboos15, Ross is actually looking foward to HAlf life 2 because it's different. According to him there isn't many features to black mesa other than concrete walls, and the occasional place that makes no sense. In half life 2 there is such a colorful environment with so much more going on, there is more to build a joke off of.

I think that Ross also said, possibly in that same interview that he was wanting to start with Half Life 2, but didn't want to start with a sequel.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Well, even though Gordon didn't explode Magnusson's casserole in FM, it's possible that Magnusson could still blame Freeman for its destruction. After all, Gordon caused the RC by pushing the sample into the beam thus ruining Magnusson's casserole.

Well, considering the"casserole incident" could have happened before freeman's mind,

Gordon Might say something about being hungry at the time, since the incident may have been Gordon trying to steal magnusson's lunch

I think we'll all be dead before Ross gets to Episode 2. Not to be too pessimistic or anything, but like Dr.Freeman said, "Optimists are retards."

i agree..

Black mesa's company saying is: Work Harder - Not Smarter

and as Freeman has said before : here at black mesa, we stay the course with stupid..

Listen to us Live @ - http://www.spreaker.com/user/thebeatbox

------

DJ Highlander (Me) - The Collaboration Project

DJ Dexrith - The Metal Minute

DJ Fusion - The Broader Perspective Show

------

we take requests:

email us @ - [email protected]