General Chat

Anywho, tried a few things and I can't seem to retrigger the available data loss again so I'm gonna go ahead and rest easy for now. If it happens again I'll try and see what caused it and try and match it up to what I did today.

Computers, man. I always seem to get the eccentric ones...

Sounds like the page file, and that it's controlled automatically. (auto means it'll resize automatically, and could do exactly what you mentioned)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Any tips on how to locate something like that if it happens again? Or at least any idea what might trigger that? Because that happened within under an hour and I'm guessing that's not normal.

Retired Forum Moderator

It could be that a program you were running had a memory leak, and that could very easily push 40GB into the page file, depending on the program. I would need to know what programs were running at the time, and what you were doing in them to know which might be causing the problem.

There are also some viruses that might cause that problem... Though this doesn't sound like any of those I've ever encountered. (usually it wouldn't fill the page file, and then not do it again immediately on startup)

Several steam games i've run have given me out of memory errors but they've never actually done anything to any visible memory. (mostly cryengine games but from what I saw that's an engine glitch with windows 8.1. There was never an actual change in RAM or hard drive space and the programs never crashed or caused computer problems.)

It might have either been GTA: San Andreas or F.E.A.R. now that I think of it, because when I closed out of GTA, it gave me a memory error, but instead of just closing like the rest, it screwed up my desktop bad enough to need me to log out and back in. I hadn't fully restarted since then. In the same run time, F.E.A.R. had a rough first launch and did actually give me a memory error (hasn't given another since though.)

Idunno. I'm just throwing things out there. Those are the only 2 memory related issues I've had recently. Nothing else I've done was out of my regular activities nor had any of them given me errors.

Retired Forum Moderator

Well, next time you run one of them, after you exit it, check and see if you have that extra space being used. Then check again an hour or so later, and see if it's using the space then. (it could be a closing glitch that caused it to recursively dump the same error log to the page file without stopping, and it might be a one-time occurrence)

I just got a spare copy of Torchlight 2 and Outlast. If anyone doesn't have those games and wants one, speak now or forever hold your peace. Can only claim one, not both.

Retired Forum Moderator

I just got a spare copy of Torchlight 2 and Outlast. If anyone doesn't have those games and wants one, speak now or forever hold your peace. Can only claim one, not both.

Man if only I cared for either of those games. Torchlight 2 is a close one, but I'm not a fan of *its* type of RPGs, even though I'm a fan of RPGs.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I wouldn't necessarily call Torchlight an RPG. It's more of a hack n slash with RPG elements. I'd say it's one of the better games from that style of game, even if I'm not insanely big on them myself.

I also have a spare key for a Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Retired Forum Moderator

I think in terms of a pure pronunciation standpoint both are correct. (different places say it different ways) I've always called it Ross's way though.

Retired Forum Moderator

Ross's version is correct as "-ed" is only pronounced as "ehd" when the verb itself ends on "t" or "d", like " hounded", "shifted" etc.

Regards

P.S. Grammar Nazi runs and hides...

I say it the same as Ross. XP

Ah-kursd farms. Cause... Cursed. I don't say cers-ed. :P

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

I already have both Torchlight games, but not Outlast... I'm always up for free games. ;)

I have always pronounced it "Uh-kur-sed" Farms.

As have I, since that pronunciation is more common than his where I grew up. Either way is technically accurate. Most words it doesn't really matter, but there are some that change meaning when you change pronunciation.

I actually use both pronunciations of the word randomly. Whatever I feel like saying really but in the case of the site name I just say it Ross's way.

Retired Forum Moderator

P.S. Grammar Nazi runs and hides...

Quite appropriate considering Ross' latest video :mrgreen:

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

I've recently discovered something about me that's kinda odd. I've been significantly more productive, focused, and hell, even in a happier and better mood ever since I started using my computer at a desk instead of just laying on my bed with my laptop on my lap. Like I can't do anything when I'm using the computer on the bed short of watch videos and read. Even playing games is hard. But the moment I sit in a proper chair at a proper desk, boom I can actually do things now.

I can understand the productivity increase since years of actually working at a desk for school tailored my mindset to associate desks with work, but happier? I don't get where that's coming from. Maybe the fact that my super messy room is no longer a super messy room and in fact a very clean, tidy, and organized room in which I can freely move around may also play a part in that. Idunno.

Retired Forum Moderator

I could also be that you have a significantly improved posture, so your body is more comfortable.

Guuuys. Why is Avatar uploading still not working? :S It's making me peeved off now. I want to have a different face dammit. XD It's just a big white screen. What happened to the moderators working on it?

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D