Freeman's Mind gun sounds

[poll id=8]

This is a quick post to address what apparently has become a controversial issue. In the last FM episode (#47), sound editor Daniel Sheehan replaced the standard gun sounds used for Half-Life. I didn't ask him to specifically change these sounds, but I encourage sound editors to embellish things for Freeman's Mind as they see fit. I thought the final ones sounded pretty good (aside from some minor sync issues), so I left them in. People seem divided on this decision, so I wanted to see how divided. Go ahead and vote on the poll above if you have an opinion on this, I'll go with whatever the majority decides. The tank sounds are non-negotiable however, those are staying.

EDIT: The "majority" vote has swapped several times by now and is currently still on a very close margin. This is about as divisive as it gets, so I'm going to make an executive decision and revert back to the old gunshots. My reasons for this are that it creates less work for the sound editor, and if someone new comes along later, it makes it easier to transition between people.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

I voted no, however I merely don't personally like those particular sounds over the originals, I'm not opposed to replacing the sounds in general.

My only real problem with them was that they seemed REALLY loud in comparison with the rest of the video. It really startled me and I had to try and anticipate when you'd be shooting again so I could turn down my sound.

But aside from the volume issues I think it adds to the immersion. The in-game sounds are kinda tinny and faded which is fine if you're playing the game yourself, but it's a bit "unreal" for a show.

I didn't notice, but voted the cat/dog thing (I have neither, but if you really want pics I can pretend) because I don't care either way. Whatever makes you happy, Ross!

I voted yes, but do do some extra volume mixing please

Hat tips and good days

Yeah.. hm.. a simple yes / no doesn't really do it for me in this case. Some gun sound are quite good, but others are way, way too heavy, like the MP5. So I'm afraid for poll purposes I have to vote no.

i voted no.

Only real problem is that they seem... out of place so far down the road. This kind of chances should've been implemented at very start imho, not years into show.

Other than that, i really like new sounds, but really, its really bizarre.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I voted no. Mainly because I see no reason to change the sounds in particular when the entirety of HL1 is dated. Modernizing the sounds whilst leaving, for instance, the graphics untouched seems pointless. I say keep it as kitsch and classic as the narrative allows it.

But! If you do keep the new sounds (which won't make me or anyone else stop watching, I'm sure), I merely request an extra effort be made to make them consistent -- there are shots fired in the recent episode that aren't dubbed over, but were previously dubbed over for the same weapon in the same episode, which is slightly grating. An honest mistake, but one people are going to expect not being repeated if the decision to keep the new sounds is made.

Anyway, thanks for an awesome show, here's to you. Cheers!

Uh, the poll seems to not be working for me. Not even acting as if a poll exists on this topic. Anyways, I say go with whatever sounds better to you. Though in an ideal world, the sounds would be consistent throughout the series no matter which one you use. So if Gun A uses Sound Effect B in the beginning of the series, it would still do so throughout. But, ehh.

This was a really abrupt, and in my opinion completely unnecessary change to make. I would almost go so far as to say that it significantly disrupts the experience for me. I always say don't fix what isn't broken, but it seems like the majority is against my opinion on this one (and I half expect the masses to bark "well if you don't like it, don't watch it!"). So I guess it'll be left the way it is now.

I believe that they were just mostly a tad too late. I really appreciate the amount of effort put into the sounds to get them there, it was really kind and thoughtful. But it's like replacing some nobody that everyone loves from your TV show, with um....A famous person..I need to pay attention to pop culture more..I'm too ignorant in it..

But yeah, it's a great thing, just maybe a little too late. Could always keep them in mind if you were to say, make another game series or something.