Website issues and improvements.

Not sure if it's just me but a bunch of image related parts of the forum broke.

1_zpsc9jfm8h8.png

2_zpspdpj4hoy.png

4_zps1ni3hcvl.png

And even in some cases a bunch of avatars stopped working that were working before the rest of these happened.

3_zps5jmeigy6.png

Retired Forum Moderator

I can vouch for this. The top banner has disappeared.

The forum seems to be disintegrating. Won't be long before we start seeing this is certain places.

matrix-rain-o.gif

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Yeah, I can also confirm that editing a profile just leads to a white screen. Can't change and submit any info. Just bumping in case that it may have been forgotten.

that happened to me, and well this site seems to be having more issues on its forums than we want....and well that could delay videos if Ross needs to find a solution to why some of this forum is having severe issues

The Front Header and a few other things are gone like alot of user avatars it seems......which does suck

hopefully this site doesnt become this

matrix-rain-o.gif

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Yeah, I can also confirm that editing a profile just leads to a white screen. Can't change and submit any info. Just bumping in case that it may have been forgotten.

that happened to me, and well this site seems to be having more issues on its forums than we want....and well that could delay videos if Ross needs to find a solution to why some of this forum is having severe issues

The Front Header and a few other things are gone like alot of user avatars it seems......which does suck

hopefully this site doesnt become this

matrix-rain-o.gif

Well sifting through the page source i noticed whoever coded the forums left behind some amusing messages talking about Java being edited in the browser.

Back by popular demand!

Same issues here.

I'm sure there are quite a few of us who would be perfectly happy to help fix the forum...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The visual breaks seem fixed now, though the avatar changes still don't work :(

Retired Forum Moderator

hey, howdy.

i took a look into the blank profile page issue, and was reminded why i was scared away from php years ago and haven't touched it with a ten-foot pole since. turns out, after having to change settings in three (THREE!!) whole files, I was presented with a nice little error log telling me the problem is with a cache file for the plugin (wp united) that was installed back when comments/users were migrated to the forums from the wordpress install on the main site. i had zero involvement with that, and the plugin itself hasn't been updated in a year. not to mention there are 43 folders (heh) with mysteriously similar names in the forums directory.

i ran a backup and made an attempt to fix that plugin (clearing the aformentioned cache. CACHE. Y'KNOW, FOR CACHING THINGS) and lo and behold it broke the entire forums. I restored from a backup and everything seemed to be back in order. same old issues, right? images were borked for a bit but those should be back again. let me know if i missed anything. sorry about the mess.

anyway, going forward, the integration with the main site can probably be dropped. what it did was sync the users and comments on the blog with the forums, and at this point no one's commenting anymore. ideally, the forum should be updated to the latest version of phpbb, which does seem possible! i grabbed a copy of the database and staged it on my laptop, and everything seems to be working a-ok, including profiles, avatars, etc. the only problem is the theme hasn't been updated since 2012, but there are very similar ones available.

Awesome! Just try to keep the dark grey background and orange links, and we can probly deal with almost any other changes.

I haven't worked with anything forum related in like 6 years so I don't know how much it's changed or even how this forum provider goes about handling things but if it's anything like the rest then most of that color is a simple HTML color code change. There's more than likely a few images that need manual recoloring but anyone with GIMP or Photoshop could do that.

Retired Forum Moderator

If you need image editing assistance, I'm good for it. But yeah, that theme with slightly darker grey and orange links would be a very close approximation.

If you need image editing assistance, I'm good for it. But yeah, that theme with slightly darker grey and orange links would be a very close approximation.

I agree BTG

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

The theme actually uses SASS for styling, which has variables. We are living in the future. Changing colors throughout the whole theme is as easy as editing a variable and compiling.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-21%20at%208.18.15%20PM.png

It looks nice, if not a bit "free-forumy". Any word on whether or not you can get reputation and user titles fixed too?

the name's riley

That's very handy actually, but I do kinda agree with Username, it does have that 'free' feel to it. For me it's the smoothed corners and that red fabric like background that does it. Though I'm sure it's up to Ross in the end to decide what happens.

Regardless, actually seeing what topic was last responded to outside in the forum index would be godsend.

Retired Forum Moderator

Yes, what Blighty said. Being able to actually click right to a topic is a wonderful feature.

Not to sound pushy or anything, but is there any time estimate on when this will go live?

the name's riley