Those guys with the glasses

Ross and Doug are probably my most favourite internet celebrities... so this is great news. Can't wait to see you there!

When fortune is blind, be a guide-dog.

Congratulations Ross on not only getting away from the whole Machinima mess but also finding a new home for Freemans Mind, Civil Protection and any other videos you've made or are going to make, I've been watching some of the shows on TGWTG for 4 or so years and they are pretty good people there.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Are the videos still going to hosted on this site? I like to download them directly as my internet connection is kind of crappy at times and better quality.
Here's the situation on that. Yes, I will continue putting downloads up, but since I'm going to be more dependent on the view-based stuff, I was considering delaying releases on the downloadable copies from the streaming one so they'll have a chance to get a foothold first. Let me know what you guys think of this or what you think a good time period would be. Also episodes 43 and 44 are not part of that plan, I was waiting on Machinima for that, now I just need to make some time and process those copies. I'll try and get those up soon.

Great to hear Ross. Will you be as financially stable with this host as you were with Machinima?
I won't know for certain until I get videos up, but my guess is it will be like a time reversal on that Youtube graph from the last post. It's only going to be for newer videos, it's like having to start over. So for the short term, no, but I'm hoping I can build things back up over the next few months, I really do have a lot of things planned. Leaving Machinima has felt kind of like escaping from prison and now having hundreds of miles of forest to get through.

I was considering delaying releases on the downloadable copies from the streaming one so they'll have a chance to get a foothold first

I think that's a good idea. I'm sure the people who are close enough to the site to use the downloads are understanding of the situation and your dependency on views. As for a time frame, I think it should depend on the frequency of new content. I wouldn't get too far behind and be posting the download for 46 while streaming 49, but I also wouldn't go too soon. Perhaps posting the previous video for download when posting the next video for streaming. If that becoming an unreasonable amount of time, maybe set a cap time of a month?

Good to hear Freeman's found a new home : ), I just hope blip.tv won't mean that you lose a lot of income. As a suggestion: you could try uploading 'notifications' (e.g. short trailers) on your own channel first whenever a new episode airs on blip.tv and link people through. I assume you won't be making money off your own account/less than you would off blip.tv? I think most people that don't follow FM/CP as closely will keep looking for new episodes on YouTube, but I bet most of them would be willing to go to blip.tv if you link them through.

That is pretty Incredible.

Some of my favorite internet people are on TGWTG, such as Video Games Awesome crew. They aren't as famous as some other guys on the site, so they don't make all their money there. Youtube is their primal money source.

My question is though, how about the first many episodes of FM? Are you going to upload them on Blib as well? Cause not everyone on TGWTG knows about FM and sending them to machinima to catch up seems silly.

I love Freeman's mind and the rest of the work that's followed it, and I love "ThatGuyWithTheGlasses" and think it's fantastic news that you'll be apart of his site! =)

But I don't understand, if Machinima was giving you so much trouble, why didn't you dump their asses from the start? You have Youtube, it's free, and the internet is the best way to get your ideas around by word of mouth/funny gifs; you never needed to even give Machinima a dime. Your material is strong/funny enough to stand on it's own two feet, the only reason you most likely saw a drop in viewers was due to infrequent updates.

If for what ever reason you have to leave TGWTG, please do not fret about which site to join next, just due your work off YouTube like the group "Yogscast" does.

This is great, but some times blip vids don't work on iPhones (which is the only way for me to watch it) so when you upload the vids pleas allow them to be watched on mobile.

non-euclidean fuck machine

But I don't understand, if Machinima was giving you so much trouble, why didn't you dump their asses from the start? You have Youtube, it's free, and the internet is the best way to get your ideas around by word of mouth/funny gifs; you never needed to even give Machinima a dime. Your material is strong/funny enough to stand on it's own two feet, the only reason you most likely saw a drop in viewers was due to infrequent updates.

Have you read Ross's previous post where he explains in great detail how it all went down with Machinima and YouTube together? Infrequent updates have influenced maybe 5% of the wiev drops...

And I'm affraid you're delusional about how easy it is to get popular on the Internet/YouTube and still get enough money at least to pay your bills. It doesn't work that way anymore.

Ross's girlfriend (IRL) Twitter: @AmazingMagda follow me! ^^to somewhere! ^^

FvfmZSdyw_I

I was considering delaying releases on the downloadable copies from the streaming one so they'll have a chance to get a foothold first. Let me know what you guys think of this or what you think a good time period would be.

Hasn't there always been a delay? At least that's what I remember, but I don't really know how long it was.

I think maybe a week or 2 would be enough, but if it would be a month that wouldn't hurt me either.

btw: Can we expect the streaming versions of the videos to go online in higher quality as well? On Machinima there's only 360p available (I think I remember you saying that machinima requested the videos being submitted in that resolution), which is not really state of the art ;)

Fool me once: Shame on you. Fool me twice: EVERYONE DIES!!!

si·lence (noun): The sound people make, when everyone trying to kill you is dead.

My question is though, how about the first many episodes of FM? Are you going to upload them on Blib as well? Cause not everyone on TGWTG knows about FM and sending them to machinima to catch up seems silly.
I'd love to upload them elsewhere, but I probably won't have any legal grounds to do that unless Machinima.com takes their copies down.

I love Freeman's mind and the rest of the work that's followed it, and I love "ThatGuyWithTheGlasses" and think it's fantastic news that you'll be apart of his site! =)

If for what ever reason you have to leave TGWTG, please do not fret about which site to join next, just due your work off YouTube like the group "Yogscast" does.

I'm afraid you have to read more than the ADHD version of the post to answer your question.

I think you chose a good time to leave machinima/youtube, with the current direction they are heading in.
Yeah, I read another article recently too, the last page of it perhaps gives some more hints in the direction they're heading in:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/ff-you-are-watching-machinima/3/

I had to register here just to post my congratulations on the matter.

I've been checking (lurking) these forums for a better part of over two years already, always debated whether I should join here or not (reason for my hesitation being that I don't tend to contribute much to discussions often so I'd hate to be a bother), as I've been a big fan of FM and CP ever since I discovered them. Well here I am, finally.

As for the TGWTG site stuff, Ross you got any plans as to how to introduce possible new fans to the show(s)? I'm certain they'd be more than happy to catch up, especially with FM seeing how linear that show's narrative is. (I was about to ask about the legalities of uploading them elsewhere but then I saw that you already aswered that, so there's no point of asking). If Machinima ever does decide to take them down, and you'll be able to upload them elsewhere, I'd suggest putting them to blip, maybe as combined to a few 30-60 minute "feature" videos, for general ease of access.

Anyhow. Congratulations again, and my best wishes with your future endeavors with TGWTG and Blip.

So now is my worry about being a part of that guy relevant?

Anyway congrats! Im glad to see that you have got some solid ground to stand on now. Just wondering though... If you ever do something other than freemans mind will it also be with in the new place? Congratulations again, I look forward to listening to you ramble on as the one free man.

Time to make sure people are spamming Machinima freemans mind videos to help you with the move.

Are the videos still going to hosted on this site? I like to download them directly as my internet connection is kind of crappy at times and better quality.
Here's the situation on that. Yes, I will continue putting downloads up, but since I'm going to be more dependent on the view-based stuff, I was considering delaying releases on the downloadable copies from the streaming one so they'll have a chance to get a foothold first. Let me know what you guys think of this or what you think a good time period would be.

How about something like this?

-New Episode is uploaded to blip, while a notification with a link to it or your TGWTG page or w/e is added to your youtube page.

-1 Week later the episode is uploaded to your youtube account, but the video starts off with a little reminder that you can catch the newest episodes on blip.

-2 Weeks later the episode is put up for download on this site.

That would be a pretty simple timeframe for everything that could be tweaked as needed. As long as I eventually get the downloadable copies I really don't mind waiting 2-4 weeks.

Leaving Machinima has felt kind of like escaping from prison and now having hundreds of miles of forest to get through.

Following the metaphor, how did the 'snipers' work out? As in, do you think you left a strong impression in the back of Machinima's head or was it really more of an escape before they could do more harm? Do you think this will have any effect on what they do in the future?

Also, congratulations. Best of luck in resettling and getting all the views and living means you require!

This is exciting! I like this! From a user side of things, I've been less in love with youtube as they "synergize" with advertisers. It devalues viewers and content producers in favor of advertisers. 30 second unskippable advertisements for the nasty cousin of mayonnaise (Abomination whip) made me impotently rage at the screen. F5? Nice try sucker!

Advertisers want to pay less, and they want more intrusive advertising methods. So sidestepping their buzzwords by hopping to blip is an interesting move, and I hope it works out well.

What will this mean for videos that aren't FM? Will you still make money off of Civil Protection and side projects?