Vent

The "Big Bang" is one of those things that "simply are".

And yet, nobody has come up with conclusive proof of it... That's why they started with the word theory, not fact. It isn't a fact, so don't treat it as such. There are many things that throughout history have been considered fact (flat earth, earth-centric universe, sound-barrier, etc.) that obviously were merely theories. (and were later disproven) Saying that this couldn't be like that is flat out unscientific.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Did you just completely miss the point of what he said? A theory is the best you can get as far as explaining natural phenomena without it being an actual law of nature. Gravity is "just a theory", try explaining how that one's totally false.

the name's riley

Right guys and gals, I think we need to move this conversation to another thread. I guess we're venting at each other, but this should be in the Serious Topic Discussion board.

--------

I've lived in Newcastle for nearly two years now. I've met some great people, and have some great friends. But I just don't feel at home here. I guess I'm still processing my emotions. Everything was going ok, and then I very suddenly got caught up in all this drama. I fell in love with a girl, who turned out to be involved with a guy in my band, who was therefore cheating on his own girlfriend. I'd always been suspicious of it, but I took their words for it, gullible idiot I am. I pushed her to the back of my mind enough to be able to get with another girl (my ex).

And then of course we broke up, and shortly after, I kissed the first girl - who kissed me back - and I thought my dreams came true. But she'd been badly messed up by my bandmate, and nothing came of it. I later learned the truth about their affair, and that was simultaneously a weight lifted and another weight dropped on my shoulders.

Things are beginning to straighten out now, but I still feel pretty alone and uncomfortable. I just want to give Newcastle the Finger and hightail it back to Glasgow, but it's not as simple as that, and it's a selfish and rash thing to do anyway.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Crap. That's complicated.

On the other hand, it's beginning to sound like Fleetwood Mac...

On a more serious note, move both of them to the category of "past adventures" in your mind and concentrate on other things. There will be other opportunities and, on the love front, everything that happens is for the best, even if it's hard to tell so on the day. I'd have a pint with you but for me it's easier to get to New York than to Newcastle :-)

Regards

You poor thing. :( Reminds me of my boyfriend's past sorta. He's had 3 ex's. X3 All of them treated him unfairly. One ex, simply broke up with him for no good reason. Another one who I despise the most, was in a long distance relationship with him, and the day that he had bought her flight tickets to go see him, she vanished. Took the tickets and left. Never talked to him again. The last one is recent by a year or so. Even though I've been with Seth for 2 years. Yeaaah... My boyfriend and I did naughty stuff. For a moment he was cheating on her, but for good reasons. He was simply plain and depressed because of her. Worst girlfriend you could possibly have. She did nothing, gave him nothing, didn't do anything for him. The only reason he was with her was because he felt sorry for her crap messed up life, and knew leaving her would make it worse. One day, my boyfriend met me. He goes on about how I was so damn irresistible. XP He accidentally fell in love with me. He knew it was wrong. But it just sorta happened. Fair enough, I'm freaking stunning. But anyway! XD He eventually told his girlfriend that he had fallen in love with me. She didn't really mind. I didn't expect her not to, she's a total uncaring prick who practically kept him for the money. There came the polyamory love. It was okay for a few months. I mean, I was happy as long as he was. That's love for ya. But then his girlfriend and I started to feud. We were always secretly despising each other, and after every bad thing, after 4 months I finally told my boyfriend to break up with her. He didn't. I wasn't mad. It'd be hard for me to break up with someone too. I gave it a rest for a few weeks. Then told him again. The relationship he had with her was freaking toxic. He was depressed because of her, and I hated it. I made them breakup. As a result, his now ex backfired and told his friend his DARKEST deepest secret. He was freaking furious. Understandably. But after we dealt with all the multiple revenge and backfiring, my boyfriend and I were finally... At peace together. 2 years and still going. And after all the experiences he's gone through, I don't have a reason to leave him broken hearted again. I love him so much.

Binky, I'm sorry you're going through that. :( Love can be awful sometimes. But know that there IS someone perfect. ^_^ Don't worry. Sorry I can't really comfort you in the "past self" department. XP I'm the love doctor. *wink*

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

On the other hand, it's beginning to sound like Fleetwood Mac...

Sounds like a potential album like Rumours then. Anyway, Fleetwood Mac aside, i'm really sorry about what you're going through, Binky. Just believe that one day you'll find someone who is perfect for you, and she will come. You're a good guy, so you definitely deserve someone who really loves you.

Welp, now what?

Honestly, is the goal of our education system even to fucking teach students? Right now it feels like their goal is to stress us the fuck out and make sure we feel like complete failures at everything we do. Like, you could accuse me of complaining about not being able to continue my habits of laziness and procrastination like your average high school senior, but you really have to draw the line somewhere and I think it's reasonable to say that I've passed that somewhere by about 50 fucking miles. Okay, I'm completely fine with getting difficult assignments, I'm not okay with getting difficult assignments that can weigh my grade down so heavily that I could fail my entire senior year if I fuck up, and I'm DEFINITELY NOT FUCKING OKAY with the the fact that when I got this assignment more time was spent stressing the importance of following the fucking guidelines than actually explaining the fucking guidelines, and the fact that the due date for the rough draft I have to write for it is the day after it was assigned. I could write this shit in an hour, 4 pages, no problem right? Not with how fucking poorly everything was explained. I have to constantly Google this to make sure I'm not making any mistakes because I keep telling myself that just one will screw me over for the whole year and if that's the whole point of how shit's supposed to work in this system, I'm not fucking okay with it.

the name's riley

@Username: Yes, the current public school system is designed to not actually teach students information, merely to have them stay somewhere and pass boring and pointless tests in an absurdly limited time while their parents work. This is why the USA doesn't even show up on 'best of' charts for education.

I don't normally agree with you on anything, but you so perfectly reflected my thoughts with that post. They put so much emphasis on grades rather than actually making sure the students are actually learning the material. I'm not even one to complain about core subjects like algebra and physics being totally useless since it really depends upon what field you want to go in to, it's just that the whole approach to it all is such bullshit and that's what renders it all completely useless. Not to mention a growing number of students (high school and college, both) are becoming more stressed than anything particularly when it comes down to assignments and such.

But I should probably finish this rough draft rather than rambling on about how the education system is bullshit because no matter how bad it is, it's still something I'm required to put up with and this essay determines whether or not I'll have to put up with it another year.

the name's riley

This just in! Apparently my fucking AQR teacher decides teaching us how to compile a fucking quarterback rating is a useful skill and valuable enough information to give us a fucking group project on that's DUE ON THE SAME DATE AS MY FUCKING RESEARCH PAPER.

the name's riley

God, what's wrong with me. Why do I do this to myself. Why is it that when I hear, "X is due on this day." I think, "I have X days until I need to start it."

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

God, what's wrong with me. Why do I do this to myself. Why is it that when I hear, "X is due on this day." I think, "I have X days until I need to start it."

This. So. Much.

This. So. Much.

It's because 99% of us have come to the conclusion subconsciously that if we leave anything sitting around more than overnight, it either disappears, or is destroyed. Besides, it's a time honored tradition for smart people to cram at the last second.

Meanwhile, I seem to be the only one who actually does things before it's due. X3 I just handed in my assignment a week and a half early. Once, I completed an assignment BEFORE IT WAS EVEN ASSIGNED. Beat that, system.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Once, I completed an assignment BEFORE IT WAS EVEN ASSIGNED. Beat that, system.

Unfortunately for me, completing an assignment several years in advance doesn't help. (I've done it many times)

I find you two are in serious violation of Parkinson's law. Cease and desist immediately. Or else.

Regards

For me it's not so much that I don't want to do it, it's that I don't know where to start. Once I can get myself to start I can get a lot done in a very small window of time. On top of that, I need a certain level of pressure to drive me. If there's no pressure, I tend to feel it's not important and then end up putting it off.

Fucking psychology man. What even is our brains doing?

Retired Forum Moderator

Our brains are wired for finding food, maintaining relationships, and solving the problems immediately in front of us with tools. We haven't developed an instinctual drive to think in the long term yet, because its only been very recent in our history as a species that we've had the luxury of worrying about what happens in a month.

That's why work habit are important, because it turns a long-term priority into an immediate priority that your instincts can understand--your instinctual tug to sit down and work on your book isn't because you know the manuscript is due in a year, all your subconscious knows is that "HEY RARITY, ITS BOOK TIME. GO BOOK FOR A WHILE"

That actually makes a lot of sense. Never thought of it that way.

Though it really does explain a lot, such as how I was able to crank out so much more work when I decided to start giving myself schedules and deadlines.

Retired Forum Moderator

So I'm trying to get to a gig in Pwllheli, north Wales, to see a band I know play for what may well be the last time. They've very kindly put me on the guestlist, but I'm fairly sure that doesn't give me anywhere to stay. I'm unsure when the band are playing (it's a festival), and places I've looked in terms of hostels give me a VERY narrow window to see them and get back. I live way up in Newcastle, and I'm planning on going to Sheffield the next day to see a friend play a concert too.

It's times like these I wish I could drive.