FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 36

Sign in to follow this  

I liked the ep. And in typical Black Mesa design, how on earth do you ACTUALLY get in and out of there if you were say, a average worker and not escaping a deadly deteriorating mess from alien invasion? It's been a while since I played, and I only recall that I had to go through the mixers.

You're thinking like a human being that uses doors. You need to think more like a squirrel that has anger problems.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Not one of the better ones, but still had a chuckle or two. Residue Processing just doesn't translate to comedy as well as the other chapters.

I found it fairly amusing, and a hell of a lot more fun than actually playing this part of the game.

This is not a fun part of the game in any sense of the word. Fortunately, before too long the pace will pick up again, with the military out to seriously fry Freeman this time, with helicopters, and tanks!

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

I have found this episode on youtube whereas it is not mentioned on the official website, that was a good surprise for me. :)

I found that this episode is great, and logical about Freeman doesn't take the most direct way : he is confused by the lost of his memory, and so turn around the place, feel disoriented...

Great job ! ^^

Kind of makes you realize how poorly designed some of the levels were in Half Life 1. How is a tube just above a mixing pot of toxic goo an option to continue forward? I would never think "aha! there's the exit!" in real life.

I like this episode, It reminds me of the earlier episodes where I actually did laugh. But the comedic factors don't really matter to me all that much because I think it is interesting to see someone play through a game. Good episode Ross, Keep it up!

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

I liked the episode and I really like your pace of production now. I value new content much more than emails, subtitles, website improvements, other work etc.

You're thinking like a human being that uses doors. You need to think more like a squirrel that has anger problems.

That one had me laughing for a long time :lol:

Great job as always Ross.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to see an A.I. about a portal.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Kind of makes you realize how poorly designed some of the levels were in Half Life 1. How is a tube just above a mixing pot of toxic goo an option to continue forward? I would never think "aha! there's the exit!" in real life.

In developer commentary for one of the Episodes, Valve talks about how they trusted the player to willy-nilly leap down bottomless pits in order to progress in Half Life, but with higher graphical fidelity in the sequel came the necessity to make more clear and readable paths to progress through the game. Through level design theory osmosis, this readability became a highly common (ideal) trope for games, which you are now trying to apply to a game which only had such a theory in its infancy.

Ah games of old days, don't ever change.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Good episode Ross! Don't worry about the slowdown. It happens in games. I hated this part of HL myself.

Really liking the faster pace of episodes. Can you keep it up for another month... or nine? =)

In developer commentary for one of the Episodes, Valve talks about how they trusted the player to willy-nilly leap down bottomless pits in order to progress in Half Life, but with higher graphical fidelity in the sequel came the necessity to make more clear and readable paths to progress through the game. Through level design theory osmosis, this readability became a highly common (ideal) trope for games, which you are now trying to apply to a game which only had such a theory in its infancy.

Ah games of old days, don't ever change.

Well HL1 was before my time, so I've never actually played it, but jumping on top of crates over a bottomless pit is just a tad ridiculous. Most of the level design fits freeman's mind fine, but there are those moments that feels like it forces him to break character.

I actually like how this is going. it's pace is different that earlier, the humor is more subtle, but for this part of the game, it just works. Even if freeman is a little under-reacting to the situation in comparison to earlier. :P

Retired Forum Moderator

The important thing is we're getting close to "Questionable Ethics" Aliens in cages, alien grunts, bizarre weaponry, and the unfortunate Peters.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Don't forget about that "spinning-blade-thingy-that-doesn't-make-any-sense-that-has-the-controls-that-are-practically-in-the-path-of-it" room... you know, that room with all that blood... and that pointless machine.

Don't forget about that "spinning-blade-thingy-that-doesn't-make-any-sense-that-has-the-controls-that-are-practically-in-the-path-of-it" room... you know, that room with all that blood... and that pointless machine.

I lost so many scientists before I realized I could turn it off.