Things that you hate to see in games.

Since I've been playing some DOOM 3 lately, I reiterate what I posted somewhere else: I HATE the damned flashlight/weapon switch system. I just HATE it.

Why is the concept of having a small flashlight integrated to every weapon so ludicrous? Why are you making me shoot wildly into the dark, wasting ammo and time?

Three words: Duct tape mod.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

In multiplayer games, I absolutely hate when the game emphasizes kills over objectives. I don't give a shit if it was designed that way, it's just boring.

I'm quite the opposite. As competitive as I tend to get, I have to relax with a good old fashion death match once in a while. That's why I play so much CTF on TF2. I can run around the inside of my base slaughtering the invading team and claim defense.

Retired Forum Moderator

Since I've been playing some DOOM 3 lately, I reiterate what I posted somewhere else: I HATE the damned flashlight/weapon switch system. I just HATE it.

Why is the concept of having a small flashlight integrated to every weapon so ludicrous? Why are you making me shoot wildly into the dark, wasting ammo and time?

Three words: Duct tape mod.

At least until you get good at the game, then try to do it without the mod, on Nightmare...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Standing still during cutscenes.

I was playing God of War 2, ok? So I pull this lever. The camera pans over and shows a door opening. When the camera comes back to me, I have to run over and go through the door before it shuts. But when the door is opening, I'm frozen! Why can't I run right after pulling the lever!? I'd easily have enough time then!

and it being made on an old engine such as U3

That is an old engine?

And Source is a modular piece of software. You can say it is old but it is being updated fairly regularly.

I hate to see Dedicated Server tools that take 2 weeks of trial and error to get working as they're supposed to, and guides that keep saying that my problem is port forwarding even when I know that isn't the problem.

Yeah, what's wrong with a new game using Source? It's not cutting edge, but for Portal 2, it certainly did well.

I think more games need to use Unreal Engine 2. Which even today still looks beautiful.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I hate to NOT see anything that really scares me in a HORROR game, and then I play a game that isn't even horror based, and it's got scarier stuff. The horror genre tries too hard nowadays. Dead Space was not scary, and I expected every single moment when monsters popped out. Dead Space 2 did have some things that were freaky however.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

1 word.

HATZ!

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

I also don't know why the would continue to update an old engine rather than just release a new one.

Because it costs like 1/10,000,000th to upgrade than it does to start a new one from scratch.

But yes, I do agree that the UT3 based games all feel the same.

BioShock uses UE 2.5, and while the water looks nice I still some minor texture popping. that reminds me, I think games nowadays don't use UE3 to its full potential, it can make something beautiful yet everyone uses it for brown grey boring metal corridor shooters.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I feel like I'm howling into the wind, but I'll say ONCE again: a lot of Mac users use PC mouses on their Macs. FIND A BETTER ARGUMENT.

Now for my on topic post:

MMO's with 1 class that needs no skill to play yet beats out pretty much anyone else. *cough*FERAL DRUIDS*cough*

Retired Forum Moderator

I feel like I'm howling into the wind, but I'll say ONCE again: a lot of Mac users use PC mouses on their Macs. FIND A BETTER ARGUMENT.

I have 2 options, if they aren't of the kind that is only capable of using a one button mouse, then they are ignorant.

Now for my on topic post:

MMO's with 1 class that needs no skill to play yet beats out pretty much anyone else. *cough*FERAL DRUIDS*cough*

I can and have beaten a better equipped Feral Druid with my Hunter. It was close though, and I had to use all my tricks to keep him off me while my OP cat ate him to death...

It's pretty damn pointless to play tons of games that are made from the same engine IMO. Evertime I play Bulletstorm, Duke Nukem Forever, etc. I feel like I'm playing UT3.

DNF used UE2.5 as its base, UT3 uses an older version of UE3.

Question: Have you played Splinter Cell 3? If so, did it feel pointless even though it is an Unreal engine game? I actually didn't have a clue that game was powered by the Unreal engine until I read about it after finishing the game.

People have to understand that the sailor can't blame the boat if he sucks at rowing. What ultimately makes a game is art and assets created by the developers. A good engine is very flexible and therefore if you desired you could stray far away from the norm. I suppose developers just like to overdo bloom, shininess, etc. and make their games look like clones of other games. Blame the designers for that, not the engine.

I hate for TF2 servers to kick me because my ping is 255 milliseconds and the limit is set at 230. I live in the other side of the freaking world. What do you expect? Never had any issues playing in the servers that do accept me for who I am... or rather, what my ping time is :P

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

I hate for TF2 servers to kick me because my ping is 255 milliseconds and the limit is set at 230. I live in the other side of the freaking world. What do you expect?

That's why they kick you. :(

Speaking of TF2 servers, I despise: fake server counts, bad/spammy maps, instaspawn, low gravity, premium, server slots, and those gigantic populations, like 34.

I also despise servers that allow you to have about 5 Snipers. Takes the fun of the game and sucks it dry.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

I can and have beaten a better equipped Feral Druid with my Hunter. It was close though, and I had to use all my tricks to keep him off me while my OP cat ate him to death...

try it as a melee class. I've beaten a few teams like it but it's god damned annoying to fight a feral+resto shammy/druid combo. As UH, my best card is necrotic strike spam but good luck if you can stay on the healer to make use of that what with all the roots, cyclones, and hexes flying about the battle. Hand of freedom only goes so far. I reformed my UH/holy dk/pally team. Our arena rank is low but the teams we fight are about 1900-2100 rank(due to both our personal ratings from last season) and ALL we ever fight are healer+feral and it's getting old. -.- I do agree that they deserve some attention ofter 3 expansions of sucking in pvp, but good god.

I see Ferals getting nerfed but my thought is who's next in line to receive the retard buff up?

Retired Forum Moderator

I hate for TF2 servers to kick me because my ping is 255 milliseconds and the limit is set at 230. I live in the other side of the freaking world. What do you expect? Never had any issues playing in the servers that do accept me for who I am... or rather, what my ping time is :P

Sucky situation all around, but realize the reason they kick you is because you're making the game run slower for everyone on the server. All I could really suggest is to start or join a server in your area.

One thing I generally dislike about TF2 though is respawn time. If you're just starting out with a class that you suck at, you might be seeing more of a respawn screen than the game. If I can, I usually go for a server with instant spawning. Makes for a much faster, edgier game.