Vent

blaming Bethesda for AMD's horrible dirvers and business practices

While I have no qualms against "horrible drivers" since I've been dealing with them for 7 going on 8 months now, the simple fact remains that no matter how hard a driver is to work with, as a matter of business morality(which, incidentally, is a joke amongst my old colleges business students <.<) it's still up to the company to make sure their game is running properly on as many types of hardware as possible. In fact, it's a rather dirty move to not bother optimizing your own game and instead waiting for the card company to optimize it for you, which mostly only happens when the player base is large enough that the amount of people complaining about the problem is significant enough that AMD needs to do so in order to 'save face'. Bethesda is not 100% free of blame in the situation that all AMD cards are having trouble with one of their games. Plenty of games from smaller companies are well optimized and running perfectly on AMD cards as well as Nvidia so there's little excuse for Bethesda to have this problem not just once, but repeatedly with their games. (Skyrim, F:NV)

That being said, from the update notes on their most recent driver, it would seem the AMD 2xx series, specifically noted 290(my card) is having the worst of issues with Fallout 4 and is being worked on. Doesn't excuse anything but at least gives me hope that I can play the game normally finally.

Bethesda has always struck me as a particularly lazy company throughout the years. From bare minimum of voice actor variety to optimization issues, it just strikes me as them reaching the bar but refusing to raise it.

Both companies need to get their shit together. Not one or the other, both. That's my vent.

Retired Forum Moderator

My issue is that I know why Bethesda's games appear to not be optimized for AMD... It's because they are designing the engine to operate based on the industry standards, which AMD is not implementing properly. It's not something that Bethesda should be blamed for, and there are even some issues with Nvidia because of some of their odd implementations, but at least Nvidia is close to the standards. Bethesda primarily makes games, not game engines that cater to improper implementations of documented standards.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

That's like saying it's annoying that a game developer doesn't want to take into account not every "fucking PC gamer" has the best gaming PC. Game developers can't take into account every single thing when it comes to PC gaming, they'd rather optimize their games for console, because it's easier to deal with.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

When you have a computer capable of running Crysis 3 at 80+ fps, "best gaming PC" is no longer a factor when you fire up a game like black ops 3, or fallout 4, or Just Cause 3 or Dying Light, and find out that all of these companies basically said "yeah fuck AMD. get the beta drivers you AMD hobo. make AMD fix your problem."

Especially when games like MGSV, Killing Floor 2, Thief, and SOMA, 2 of which are developed by smaller teams and have graphical ranges similar or above the previous 4, have no trouble running on AMD or Nvidia.

Retired Forum Moderator

Different companies have different priorities, even when it comes to optimization. Now, should more, if not all, companies maximize their optimization for AMD and Nvidia? Sure, but will they? Not likely.

Different companies have different priorities, even when it comes to optimization. Now, should more, if not all, companies maximize their optimization for AMD and Nvidia? Sure, but will they? Not likely.

Especially since the root of optimization problems is almost always in the GPU driver... That's why awhile back everyone was so massively impressed when Nvidia released a driver that improved framerates in a couple games by 25-50%. (it was caused by improper implementation of standards, not by the game being unoptimized) Nvidia recognizes this and fixes the problems, (more often than not) whereas AMD almost never releases a driver with proper implementations of standards, and frequently changes their poor implementations between driver releases. (this effectively requires a game dev to have an entire dev team working constantly on optimizations to compensate for crappy drivers, just so they don't get blamed for the problems by people who don't understand where optimizations really need to be made)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'm terrible with gift-buying. I'm just really over it. I don't wanna spend money at all. i don't even know what to get. can i just get clothing? is that a thing? i feel like clothing will get far more mileage than an accessory or jewelry or something...

All that work, and I lose my job to a clerical error. I have no words.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." -Stephen Colbert.

So the Nostalgia Critic is going to review The Force Awakens. The Nostalgia Critic is going to review The Force Awakens. I'm done. I'm done with Doug Walker, the NC, and Channel Awesome. I'm done. He plans on reviewing it one or two more times. He's already done a Disneycember/Sibling Rivalry on it, he's going to do one as NC, and as Chester.

I need to get this out before I stew over it all christmas.

You know what really, REALLY grinds my gears? An argument of wording. Ex: "well you said which means " "No it doesn't, it means " "Yes it does because means in scenario so it means it here too"

SHUT UP! Words are dynamic! They can mean any number of things, ESPECIALLY depending upon the scenario. On top of that, an argument of wording does NOTHING to add validity to anything. Assuming you win this little exchange... so what? What is and isn't will remain the same regardless of whether or not you work out all the "potential meanings" of a phrase someone used. It's a time waster and a distraction.

Retired Forum Moderator

I'm terrible with gift-buying. I'm just really over it. I don't wanna spend money at all. i don't even know what to get. can i just get clothing? is that a thing? i feel like clothing will get far more mileage than an accessory or jewelry or something...

That's why I tell everyone that I'm going to buy gifts for: "Make a list." If you don't have a list of things you want, you're not going to get anything from me. Many people have fun making lists and it's easier than trying to guess what they want than possibly agonizing over what to get, and getting something they don't want or have no use for.

Is it a bit impersonal? Should you just know what the person wants or needs? Perhaps. I don't know, to be honest. Make a list.

I think my girlfriend just texted a suicide note. I am walking as fast as I possibly can.

EDIT:

Now I am waiting. I hope she can't get past me. I will hold her down if it will keep her alive. I AM twice her size.

EDIT 2:

It was all a trick to prove I was evesdropping on her, and I was, and I fell for it. I feel like such an idiot. Why do I care so much about a women who apparently cares so little about me?

It was all a trick to prove I was evesdropping on her, and I was, and I fell for it. I feel like such an idiot. Why do I care so much about a women who apparently cares so little about me?

Ho-lee Shit. You do NOT cry wolf about something like that. I don't want to bash your girlfriend, but fucking hell.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Ho-lee Shit. You do NOT cry wolf about something like that. I don't want to bash your girlfriend, but fucking hell.

I'm thinking the same thing here, suicide isn't something to kid about.

the name's riley

What makes it worse is that it's an actual threat, she HAS attempted suicide before, and using the same method. I couldn't take that chance.

It sounds like she's using that as a way to manipulate you and that isn't in any way acceptable as far as I'm concerned. You really need to settle that with her.

the name's riley

Hey, uh... Check back a couple pages. She's mentally ill, and has these moments every once in a while. And then she just waited outside my house in the cold for six hours, just to apologize. (I didn't know she was there.) She was outside in such cold weather for so long she felt a bit colder on the inside.

We talked it out, it took while, and she went home. We'll talk more later. I'm still kinda pissed off, but a lot less so, and we should be fine in a few days.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

You know what's fun? Heists in GTA 5 Online. You know what's not fun? No one trusting you to do anything because [insert stupid reason here], and the entire team carries you through the whole thing because by the time you get to the destination, everyone has already done all of the tasks, not bothering to wait for you, and plan things out. Now you have to run all the way back to your car, but you realize why bother when they're almost at the drop off/final destination. You know the only heist I was actually able to do anything in (besides all the SP ones)? The tutorial heist. Is it too much to ask for actual team work? You know, like silenced sniping from a distance, before the others go in, steal the cargo, and take it to the drop off? At least with Payday (2) people actually planned shit out, decided to go loud or stealth, who was going to do what, etc. etc. I would love to have a heist game with all the pre-planning/setting up, team work, stealth/load/combination of both, kind of thing, in a open world, like if Payday 2 and GTA 5 (O) Heists merged together. That, and be able to silencly snipe from a distance without my mental state going up.